Welcome to PatsFans.com

Colorado: Politcally Correct crowd opposes statue of fallen Hero

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Apr 7, 2007.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +502 / 6 / -2

The PC police really get me upset sometimes. Maybe cops shouldn't carry guns with them when they police a park, or protect a school, since guns themselves carry such a horrible message. These loons really need to relax, and understand what a statue honoring those who've served their country should be cherished, and not chastized.

Line drawn in park over statue

"No middle ground" in battle over look, location of memorial

By Joey Bunch
    Denver Post Staff Writer
    Article Last Updated: 04/06/2007 12:29:47 PM MDT

[​IMG]

Navy SEAL Danny Dietz died in Afghanistan on June 28, 2005, fighting al-Qaeda guerrillas. He posthumously received the Navy Cross for heroism. (The Denver Post)
    Apr 6:

Parents protest military statueLittleton - With its green lawn, jungle gym and picnic gazebo, Berry Park is an unlikely battlefield, but the local flap over the statue of a fallen war hero set to be placed here brewed into a national conflict Thursday.

The Internet, talk radio and cable news spread the word of some parents' concerns about the planned bronze sculpture of Navy SEAL Danny Dietz holding his automatic rifle.

"There's no middle ground here, and that's unfortunate," said Emily Cassidy, one of a handful of Littleton parents who say the statue with the gun should not be near three schools and two playgrounds at the southeast corner of South Lowell Boulevard and West Berry Avenue.

"We're continuing to try to spread our message," Cassidy said. "The message is not against Danny Dietz, his family or the war. It's location, location and the audience that will view it."
    Reached at home Thursday in Virginia Beach, Va., Patsy Dietz, Dietz's widow, said she sympathizes with the message that guns and schools shouldn't mix, especially in the community where the Columbine shootings took place.

But to use her husband to forge such a political statement about guns is irresponsible, she said.

"It's a parent's job, including these parents who are protesting, to teach their children the difference between two thugs who murder their classmates and a soldier who died fighting for their freedom," she said. "Danny represents every soldier and sailor who has fallen, and for them to take this stand, well, that's offensive to me."

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_5604793?source%3Dpoll.3AC27EC5B8BA9A6FF6D40C6A78375503.html
  2. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

You know, I'll bet there have been a lot of arguments over the years in a number of towns and cities over the placement of statues/memorials for war heroes. Probably not as rancorous as in these days, but spirited all the same.

Let's just solve the problem by putting him right in the center of the town square, right where most Revolutionary War, Civil War, and WWI / WWII memorials stand. That's where he belongs anyway.

//
  3. mr3putt

mr3putt Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

This is over the top Political Correctness in a pure form.

Just plain wrong headed thinking.
  4. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +649 / 2 / -9

They should make a statue just for these people (anti American maggots) the statue should be erected in San Francisco, it should be a full size likeness of Billy Clinton "Playing with himself" with his right hand and holding his little bible in his left hand, the one he carried to church every sunday for the camera's when he was the Prez.

Those jerks know they live in America and they can get away with all that sh!t, they have the freedoms that scum like themselves in other country's don't have so it is a good way to get the little bit of attention that they crave, they know they are useless human beings they are probably even disliked by their mothers and the family dog so this is their way of getting their two minutes of somebody actually noticing that they even exist.

I sh!t in their general direction, pay no attention to them, they are like the fumes from a wino's bowel movement, they will drift away.
    :bricks:
  5. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Maybe they should vote on it. That's the only way to resolve these things at the town level - at least that's how we do it in New England.
  6. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

It would seem that these people are still extremely conscious of Columbine. I don't think its really a matter of being political correct, rather they were traumatized about what happened up the road (about 3 hours) and it still weighs very heavy on anything that is symbolized with a gun. A first read of the article and I'd say they are way out there. On the other hand, if I had lived there during Columbine, I might be agreeing with them.
  7. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +502 / 6 / -2

I can see where it might be in their thinking, but I still think it's wrong. We shelter too much, and worry evern more. Everytime something tragic happens, everyone starts looking to extremes in the name of said tragedy. It's to the point of being ridiculous. Reminds me of changing the corrective ink in schools from red to purple, cuz they thought red hurt the kid's feelings. This guy defended our country, and lost his life doing so. Kids should look up to him, and parents shouldn't fear the message he brings. IMO anyway.
  8. PF1996

PF1996 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I read the article and strangely enough, couldn't find any person belonging to a "politically correct crowd". Then again, I should really know better than to presume that a right wing nut's post is honest. Here's a tip RW - someone expressing an opinion that you disagree with doesn't make that person's opinion "politically correct". This article isn't about people being opposed to a statue (typical right wing dishonesty), it's about opposition to the location of a statue as the statue is currently constructed (i.e. near schools/playgrounds...holding a gun). By the way, that statue is horrendously ugly and bears no resembelance to the guy (his widow should be protesting). I disagree with opposition on the basis of the gun since soldiers carry weapons and I'm sure the average child is already aware of this. However, I would support opposition to the statute itself. I really do not understand the classification of individuals doing their jobs as "heroes". A "hero" is someone who deliberately sacrifices his life to save another. An example would be the marine who supposedly covered up a grenade and saved his fellow marines. Getting shot while following orders (i.e. doing your job) isn't the same thing.
  9. ArmyPatsFan

ArmyPatsFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

To earn a Navy Cross the act to be commended must be performed in the presence of great danger or at great personal risk and must be performed in such a manner as to render the individual highly conspicuous among others of equal grade, rate, experience, or position of responsibility. An accumulation of minor acts of heroism does not justify an award of the Navy Cross. As originally authorized, the Navy Cross could be awarded for distinguished non-combat acts, but legislation of August 7, 1942 limited the award to acts of combat heroism.

Not sure why you are questioning this Navy Seal's heroism.......do you even know ANYTHING about the Navy Cross and what is required to earn it......didn't think so.
  10. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Can't question the man's courage no matter what. He could've stayed home, gotten a job and hung out with his family and friends on the weekend, but he didn't. This guy's not your average kid.
  11. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand Rookie

Ratings:
    +99 / 7 / -14

#37 Jersey

It is something YOU cound not even comprehend!
  12. pats-blue

pats-blue Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Yeah the guy only stayed behind fighting 40 Taliban by himself so two of his comrades could escape.....yeah not much of a "hero". Maybe you should think before posting. Those Navy Crosses are like candy I guess...
  13. Turd Furguson

Turd Furguson Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

SUPPORT THE TROOPS!! Right?
  14. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +259 / 10 / -11

The statue is an example of bad, nationalist art. That alone is reason enough to protest (as PressCoverage pointed out). But, bad art is better than none, and I think it will be easy for progressives to point to a statue of a soldier carrying a gun, and talk about hate, conformity, violence, subservience, as well as traits of the idealized soldier, such as heroism, bravery, and loyalty.
  15. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Thank you for demonstrating in one brief, concise sentence why mainstream America hates liberal ideas.

A conservative looks at a statue of a brave American soldier and sees someone who defends our freedoms, our liberties and our very ways of like (that you take for granted). A liberal looks at a statue of a brave American soldier and sees "hate, conformity, violence, subservience".
  16. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Who has a picture of the statue proposed? Not that it matters what I think about it...just curious....have you seen one?
  17. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +259 / 10 / -11

I would guess conservatives are less likely than liberals to notice statues, because conservatives have less interest in the liberal arts.

Also, art is a symbol and as such can be discussed. Have you ever looked at the famous bronze relief sculpture across from the state house? If you have, which I doubt, you'll know what I'm talking about. That sculpture of brave soldiers brings up many points besides heroism. We need soldiers because of hate and violence in the world. Soldiers must surrender part of their identity and conform to rules. Soldiers must be subservient, but at some point must think for themselves. These are profound philosophical issues that raise far broader issues than the obvious fact, which you are focused on, that soldiers protect us. It goes without saying that soldiers protect us.
  18. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +649 / 2 / -9

I wonder where America would be today without "The Soldier That Carried The Gun"

There are now and always have been other country's and other world leaders that would like nothing better than to see us "Stop Carrying The Gun", they would be coming through your kitchen window taking all your Civil Liberties And Constitutional Rights away from you before you knew what hit you.

If your enemy is carrying a gun you better carry one too.
  19. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

It too often goes without saying they protect us. It should be said and it should be appreciated. It goes with too much saying anytime a soldier has done something wrong ala the NYT and other biased media. The bad soldier has become a poster to some degree here and in a much larger scale abroad.
  20. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

:wha: !!!

Good thing I wasn't taking a swig from my coffee or I'd be wearing half of it now!!

"... conservatives have less interest in liberal arts"!! Conservatives, by definition, get their values from the traditions of culture, which come from traditions in religion and all other fields of the classic "liberal arts" curriculum. Harvard, Yale, Princeton, and almost all the other Ivies and other of the oldest institutions of higher education were all founded as schools of theology, biblical history, Latin, Greek, even Hebrew.

The Liberal Arts -- as originally created -- are the foundation of conservatism. It's only been in the past one hundred years that the "liberal arts" have been taken over by disciplines that emphasize physical things -- chemistry, biology, physics, physical art, etc. -- over and above spiritual things. Virtually everybody knew about and respected God a 100 or more years ago. Today God has become "optional".

:nono:

Big, big mistake.

//