PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Collins

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikey m

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
I'm sure this will be seen as a way-too-early overreaction and it very well may be but..Jamie gets my Most Disappointing Player award through two weeks. He is no where close to making the impact on the field that I am used to seeing from him. I think he needs to lose that weight that he has put on. It hasn't seemed to do anything besides slow him down and seriously hamper his ability to change direction. Watching all the defensive snaps from the game, he looks like a liability in space, and legitimately like a cow on ice in the play below when trying to tackle Tannehill as he rolled out of the pocket and easily escaped Collins. He has not looked like the guy who was a blitzing monster and great in space whether covering a tight end or tracking down throws underneath. As of right now, if anyone offers him top 5 LB money next offseason, I would not be nearly as upset seeing him leave.
Edit: just a note about the plays below - IMHO they just show that Jamie's movement/agility are hampered right now not that he's making terrible plays (possibly due to injury?)
[gif]

Last edited:

great blitz jamie..

I'm with you to some extent. I think he plays better with Hightower next to him. 2 weeks until the season the D is still trying to figure things out. He's not as good as maybe I even thought he would be by himself but as a unit he and Hightower are really really good.

I'm with you to some extent. I think he plays better with Hightower next to him. 2 weeks until the season the D is still trying to figure things out. He's not as good as maybe I even thought he would be by himself but as a unit he and Hightower are really really good.
I'm with you on that. Having HT in the middle rather than Jamie trying to do his job should certainly change things.

He was playing hurt. He made the tackle on Tannehill in the first vid. The receiver who caught the ball was not his assignment in the second and his first read was run/contain and Tannehill got the ball off in <2.5 in the third vid. Not really sure what three plays show.

This can be better judged when Hightower is back and he is playing his usual position and role..

His partner now is Freeney and not to take anything away from him he is no Hightower..

I am fine with Collins and how he has played so far..

This is not so much a Collins issue as a depth issue. Ninkovich and Hightower out is a very big deal.

Also, Mclellan, Mingo and Freeny have to step up. The guy I'd like to see flash is Mingo. He is a great athlete who got so screwed up in Cleveland with different DCs and systems, he doesn't know what he's supposed to do. Once he understands his niche in this defense, I think we'll see an effective LB like Hicks.

Exactly this.

Collins is also a better player when he can be aggressive. Up big in the third quarter, the Patriots took their foot off the pedal (which is always dangerous to me), and his assignments got a little more reactionary. That's not really his game.

Ironic that this is a topic when Dooch and Spaz were *****ing about Collins yesterday saying he was overrated.

After they spent the entire offseason berating the Patriots for not paying any amount of money necessary to lock him up long term. That's how they make their bread: Find the pressure point for fan outrage and drive their thumb into it.

He's no LK but still one of the best.

Collins is also a better player when he can be aggressive. Up big in the third quarter, the Patriots took their foot off the pedal (which is always dangerous to me), and his assignments got a little more reactionary. That's not really his game.
...and those two are the least qualified to make any assessments on performance of a football player. If they stick with hockey and baseball then that might be ok.

The receiver who caught the ball was not his assignment in the second and his first read was run/contain and Tannehill got the ball off in <2.5 in the third vid. Not really sure what three plays show.
This. Not sure what these clips are supposed to show, especially the second and third. In the second clip his assignment is Jarvis Landry (#14). After the wide-open Cameron catches the ball Collins can't just blindly charge ahead because Cameron could go both ways, to his left or right, so he has to slow down and wait. And by the time it was clear Cameron would take it to the middle of the field Landry was there to block him. On the third play it's pretty obvious that Collins was in a contain stance.

Dooch and Spaz

pJDEy_s-200x150.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back