PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

College prospects this weekend 9/3 - 9/5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peachhead

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Just some players I noticed yesterday. With an eye towards positions we need. I'll try to add on to it with the game from today and tomorrow. Please add anything you saw. If it catches on maybe we can do a similar thread every weekend.

Notre Dame OC Braxston Cave - Looked pretty good yesterday. Notre Dame was running up the middle pretty much at will. Unfortunately the skill players couldn't protect the ball in the redzone.

Michigan OC David Molk - It's too early for binky status, but I really like what I saw. Opening up big holes. Several pancake blocks.

Baylor QB Robert Griffin III
- I know we don't need a QB, but if this guy declares early he's in the 1st round mix if he keeps this up. Wow! Physical skills like Michael Vick, a cannon for an arm, accurate and very good pocket presence. Andrew Luck watch out. This guy may cost you a few million $$$.

Oklahoma WR Ryan Broyles - Would have been a 1st had he declared for 2011. It looks like he picked up right where he left off.

USC WR Robert Woods - I'm usually leery of USC guys from an off-field standpoint. That being said, this guy caught everything in his zip code. 17 catches yesterday, a single game record for USC.

Last edited:
Update on my targets for early in the 2012 draft:

C Ben Jone, UGA vs. Boise State - A mixed bag. A wall in pass protection but Boise countered that by rushing exclusively from the outside (the UGA tackles are a disaster). His run blocking was solid when he was able to lock onto someone but when moving laterally he ended up on the ground far too often...which effectively makes you a speed bump for your RB. A "C" grade that will have to improve in SEC play.

DE Andre Branch, Clemson vs. Troy - Didn't see the game so don't have any direct observations. Discussed with a Clemson fan and he said Branch was in the backfield a lot. Not great in the first half but Troy couldn't do much in the 2nd half. Grading this as a "Pass" since I couldn't watch it myself.

WR Dwight Jones, UNC vs. James Madison - He had a great game. Made plays all over the field, showing quickness, deep speed and sweet hands. Definitely an "A" and a nice start to what should be a big year.

Would liked to have seen a better result from B.Jones but the Bulldogs offense looks to be pretty bad this year...so the results may not match his individual effort. So far so good for Branch and D.Jones. People will scoff at the competition but you have to feel good about playing well against a walled city-state and a founding father.

Last edited:
Update on my targets for early in the 2012 draft:

DE Andre Branch, Clemson vs. Troy - Didn't see the game so don't have any direct observations. Discussed with a Clemson fan and he said Branch was in the backfield a lot. Not great in the first half but Troy couldn't do much in the 2nd half. Grading this as a "Pass" since I couldn't watch it myself.

Watched the game, but didn't pay much attention to Branch. The other end Malliciah Goodman applied some pressure and nose guard Brandon Thompson drew a lot of double teams. He might be a player worth to watch if the Patriots stick with the four man fronts.

LSU CB Tyrann Mathieu- Not draft eligible, but it could be argued that he is the best DB in the SEC as a true sophomore. Playmaker who could be a top 10 pick one day

Arkansas WR Joe Adams- Homer vote. Played against a bad missouri state team, but tied an SEC record with 2 PR for TDs and 183 total return yards. Has a problem with drops at times but has caught a pass in every game he has played in. Electrifying player.

Georgia TE Orson Charles- Had over 100 yards in UGA's loss to boise...always seems to be open and is a good target for Aaron Murray...i was impressed

LSU WR Rueben Randle- This guy is interesting. Has all the physical skills but has had subpar QB play in his career. He could be one of those guys that is drafted late but becomes a good WR in the NFL.

Wisconsin QB Russell Wilson- He played against UNLV, but he looked the same as he did at NC State. Pretty good arm and can scramble pretty well. I like watching him play.

Im biased towards the SEC and there are probably more but those are some players i liked for week one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes