Welcome to PatsFans.com

College in Three Years?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by State, Jun 15, 2009.

1. State

State Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Jeez, anything to cut down on costs and havoc to the liver.

The Realities of ‘College Education’

If I had to do it over, I'd definitely have spent a lot less time at so-called higher education. Left-wing or nihilistic professors; frivolous, ignorant, party-animal students.

My children will go where it's cheapest to garner that piece of paper, hopefully living at home and commuting. And I'll expect them to work at least 20 hours a week. That's if I have to pay for it.

But I'm certainly not going to re-mortgage the house like some people I know.
  2. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +246 / 7 / -9

#24 Jersey

The school I went to still costs just $4K per year. That's $16K for four year. That doesn't include books and room&board but having some roomates brings that cost down rapidly (I had 3 roomates in a 2 bedroom apt). It doesn't have to be outrageously expensive.

Personally I want my kids to be off at school for no less than 2 years as it's a good transition from being a kid to an adult IMO; you aren't totally on your own but you aren't living with mommy and daddy either. They're only 9 & 11 right now, though, so there's a lot to be determined yet.
  3. State

State Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I couldn't imagine what school that would be, Kibbutz U?

My state school is $23k a year, I recently found out to my near horror.

I have a 15 year mortgage so when it's gone college will be staring me in the face. I couldn't image paying for both simultaneously.
  4. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +246 / 7 / -9

#24 Jersey

CSU | Student Academic Support | Campus Costs of Attendance for 2006-2007

Admittedly these might go up quite a bit with our budget issues. What makes it real high is the living expenses but, again, two to a room in a moderate apartment can take care of that.
  5. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +85 / 31 / -3

#75 Jersey

Of course, I didn't know that at the time I was doing it, but AP courses in High School ended up saving me big time money in college. If at all possible make sure that your kids get into and take the exams for as many AP courses as they can. It will allow them to graduate quicker, not have to take English, Math, or whatever 101, AND save you the greatly inflated tution price that they charge for these basic courses (usually taught be some TA who has yet to master the English language).
  6. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

In the fog of the 60's personally chose a 5 year program... but there was mucho lost time.. and many distractions... always had two jobs, usually cab driver on weekend nights.. and a framer a couple of days a week.. still had time to party.