PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

College Football Star Michael Sam Says He Is Gay; May Become First Publicly G...

Not that we know about. Of course, multiple gay NFL players have come forward after their careers were over. Obviously there are gay players on NFL teams at this very moment and I'm sure their sexual orientation is "known" to management and teammates.

By openly, I should specify that it's openly known to the public.

After hearing the entire story (him telling his teammates during the season and media being told about it), I can understand why Sam came out...under the circumstances it seemed necessary to get out in front of the news.

Now speaking honestly, it will definitely be awkward in a locker-room...even if he's universally accepted as a person imo.

Tom Selleck once said "guys don't want to take a shower with guys who want to take a shower with guys". True statement.

I'm attracted to women. So if I'm around a half naked woman I find attractive it can be distracting....whether I'm being "professional" or not.

I feel this is where the disconnect can come in a locker-room, as a straight man, I don't want to be naked around a gay man...real talk. Just like a woman wouldn't want to be naked around a heterosexual man...same feeling. I don't feel I'm being out of line here. And that's where I feel front offices will pause when considering drafting him.

The truth is we are all sexual beings. In 'heterosexual' cases guys walking around with their nut sacks swinging doesn't cause much excitement. In a case where a guy says he's gay it may be an issue.. just like if I'm in a woman's locker-room with women walking around in a similiar way.

I hope Michael Sam succeeds as a football player, gay or not, he should be given every oppurtunity. But putting myself in the locker-room with him is a little different. Just saying.

I don't think it will effect his stock much. If he was a JAG he probably wouldn't be worth drafting because of the media situation it might cause (BB conquered Tebowmania so might not matter anyways). But, doesn't seem like this is the case. Good for him.

After hearing the entire story (him telling his teammates during the season and media being told about it), I can understand why Sam came out...under the circumstances it seemed necessary to get out in front of the news.

Now speaking honestly, it will definitely be awkward in a locker-room...even if he's universally accepted as a person imo.

Tom Selleck once said "guys don't want to take a shower with guys who want to take a shower with guys". True statement.

I'm attracted to women. So if I'm around a half naked woman I find attractive it can be distracting....whether I'm being "professional" or not.

I feel this is where the disconnect can come in a locker-room, as a straight man, I don't want to be naked around a gay man...real talk. Just like a woman wouldn't want to be naked around a heterosexual man...same feeling. I don't feel I'm being out of line here. And that's where I feel front offices will pause when considering drafting him.

The truth is we are all sexual beings. In 'heterosexual' cases guys walking around with their nut sacks swinging doesn't cause much excitement. In a case where a guy says he's gay it may be an issue.. just like if I'm in a woman's locker-room with women walking around in a similiar way.

I hope Michael Sam succeeds as a football player, gay or not, he should be given every oppurtunity. But putting myself in the locker-room with him is a little different. Just saying.

Dude, if your location is "weight room," and you've ever taken a shower there, I would bet my life that you have been around gay men. Michael Sam just has the stones to say it.

If teammates can learn to be comfortable enough with Charles Haley, who would jagoff in front of his teammates and bring himself to climax in front of them while talking about their wives...I don't think this should be an issue. If he can't play he'll be cut and he'll be a historical footnote. If he can he'll be accepted.

Good for him! But this may has a negative impact on his draft status. Jason Collins of the NBA should be on an NBA roster, he is good enough to be on someones roster this season yet he isn't. Many attribute that situation because he came out as gay during the off-season.

That really isn't true, if you saw him play last year you could see that he was pretty much done. I'll say this, I think that it didn't help his cause because at his skill level now he wasn't worth the distraction. But, it's not a shock by any means that he is out of the NBA gay or not.

Another issue is that homosexuality is more stigmatized in American black culture, so Sam also has that to deal with.

So when you're drinking you lean both ways, eh? Wow, two announcements in one night! (How will this play in Buffalo?)

LOL, I read that back and saw how it sounded too. But I gotta lean on something to prevent myself from falling down, since I'm a "pathologically addicted loser" according to one fine, upstanding citizen whom I don't know.

Ever been hit on by a gay guy? If you are as charming as I am, you have. Happened to me a handful of times. Did not bother me at all, just don't swing in that direction. I want to know about the sex lives of gay people about as much as I want to know the details of the sex lives of the straight people I know...which is about not much at all. With the possible exception of certain lesbians, that is.

It's just nobody's concern.

I'm not particularly concerned with what people think about me...if I were, I probably wouldn't be around these parts. Feel me?

People wanna judge, and that's on them.

Dude, if your location is "weight room," and you've ever taken a shower there, I would bet my life that you have been around gay men. Michael Sam just has the stones to say it.

If teammates can learn to be comfortable enough with Charles Haley, who would jagoff in front of his teammates and bring himself to climax in front of them while talking about their wives...I don't think this should be an issue. If he can't play he'll be cut and he'll be a historical footnote. If he can he'll be accepted.

Absolutely...but it's unknown. I'm not worried about what I don't know.

If you read my post, I tried to correlate the gay issue with a straight man showering around a woman....what if the woman knows? How does she feel?

These are real issues that management will consider.

Absolutely...but it's unknown. I'm not worried about what I don't know.

If you read my post, I tried to correlate the gay issue with a straight man showering around a woman....what if the woman knows? How does she feel?

These are real issues that management will consider.

What if you know that Charles Haley is right next to you jaggin himself while talking about your wife? The entire Missouri team knew and it hurt his and the team's play so much that he was Co-DPOY in the SEC and they played in the SEC title game.

I know that some management will worry about that, but they are fools if they do. Good players, and even some fringe ones, have undoubtedly made people feel far more uncomfortable than Michael Sam is likely to. This is a good reasoned discussion, not trying to attack your position.

What makes you say this? Because of how much Bill Belichick loves media distractions and media circuses following the team around all season long?

If the media circus that followed Tim Tebow around didn't phase him. I doubt this would. As long as the guy can play.

If the media circus that followed Tim Tebow around didn't phase him. I doubt this would. As long as the guy can play.
I didn't realize Tim Tebow was on this team during the regular season last year. Geez, you think I would have read something about that....

I really don't care if the Patriots draft this guy or not. I'm just saying that knowing what we do about Belichick and distractions, I think it's unlikely.

Pity the first announcer who says after a tackle: "Sam laid the wood on him" ... :eek:

He'll be one of the few who actually enjoys being at the bottom of a pile. :eek:

He'll be one of the few who actually enjoys being at the bottom of a pile. :eek:

As funny as this is (and it is funny), my fear would be announcers and fans focusing on too much on these kinds of comments and stupid internet memes, etc.

That said, my personal feeling overall is that if Belichick feels that he can play--I don't really care what he's into, as long as he helps the team. I'm guessing that most would share my same thoughts, along with a slight concern as well. I do not feel that it'd be such a distraction that we couldn't play well though, but obviously Belichick would have a much better read on an issue like this.

I think for some teams it will drop the guy entirely out of their draft.

Even though BB CAN deal with it; that doesnt mean he WANTS TO deal with it.

BB is all about minimizing as many distractors / potential problems as he can. So to me, that means this guy has dropped 1 round on that Pats board because of this.

Yes, BB COULD/MIGHT take him if he is DEMONSTRABLY the best talent still left on the board; but if there is another only slightly lesser talent in the same or another area of need; I think BB passes at least another round. I think he will only sign up for the distraction if he is making money (better talent for less draft pick/$$ cost) on the transaction [to offset the distraction quotient].

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back