Welcome to PatsFans.com

College Applicants hide their ethnic background to avoid admission Discrimination

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by patsfan13, Dec 3, 2011.

1. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +154 / 7 / -13

Really a disgrace, kids being discriminated against for working to hard in school and being part of an ethnic minority.

Some Asians' college strategy: Don't check 'Asian' - Yahoo! News

2. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +170 / 4 / -4

I think it's always going to be a problem as long as we recognize the academic value of integrating people from different communities and cultures, and as long as we don't invest significantly more in our public schools.

Is it any surprise that's there's a correlation between income and the ability to get into a good college:

http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/2012/tables/12s0691.pdf
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +488 / 2 / -9

This is just a question so don't all you loons start scratching yourselves and demanding infractions,

"are there any races on earth more intelligent then other races"

Oh Jesus, here it comes.....
  4. chicowalker

chicowalker On the Roster

Ratings:
    +186 / 2 / -2

and yet again, harry tries to hijack a thread and draw attention to himself

btw, 13, do you think it's also a disgrace that some white students are favored in admissions because their parents went to a particular school, or because they can play a sport?

Like it or not, there are legitimate reasons for schools to want various types of diversity, and also to look at various measures of achievement and aptitude rather than only looking at test scores.
  5. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +388 / 6 / -9

There are certainly individuals that are more and less intelligent than other individuals.

Harry, do you process your world as an individual, or as one representative of a certain race?

PFnV
  6. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +140 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

A kid that scores a 1550 should have a better shot at admission than the kid that scores 1410 or 1100.

is it any wonder some people would have a problem with that?
  7. Patters

Ratings:
    +170 / 4 / -4

Don't you think there's broad value in making sure that an academic environment is well integrated? Also, don't you think there are other qualities to academics than grades? Do you think the Asian student who scores 1550 is necessarily a better student than the black person who scores 1100? Who do you think would be the better teacher, doctor, social worker, police officer, EMT, in the black community, the Asian or the black person? I think schools have to consider more than just grades, since kids grow up in all sorts of environments and our nation has all sorts of needs.
  8. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +140 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Of course there are other factors but are they even considered or do the scores trump them? The suggestion is even a lower score automatically moves the black and white candidates up the latter over Asians without regard to any other qualities or propensities. I've heard all the arguments that the tests are white biased but I've never heard that they are Asian biased and that Asians have had a privilege that has to be evened out to allow more black and white college admissions.
  9. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +154 / 7 / -13

Yes. Student to Academic institutions should be admitted on the basis of merit. I prefer a meritocracy.

Some kids work a lot harder than others.

Props to CalTech for being the outstanding Institution it is.

I knew a couple of people who escaped from Viet Nam in the 70's, Boat People. They came here with nothing, but understood the dead end that communism was and the opportunity America represented. The parents came over here with a grade school education, they worked as janitors and got themselves a technical degree. They worked different shifts at different companies so the no working parent could tutor kids after they cam home from school. Their kids excelled in school. They worked HARDER than the other kids.

They shouldn't be penalized for working hard to excel.
  10. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +371 / 4 / -2

I don't think any university should ask about race. Interesting how the same people who think a business owner shouldn't be able to hire whomever it is they want to, or thinks is best for his business, feel that discrimination by universities is perfectly ok.
  11. chicowalker

chicowalker On the Roster

Ratings:
    +186 / 2 / -2

There are more aspects to "merit" than just test scores.

Obviously CalTech is an outstanding institution.

So are myriad institutions that apparently don't conform to your views.

Sad that the only people you are aware of that work hard are foreigners.

Are you sure they immigrated legally? Because if they didn't, many Americans would hate them, despite their desire to escape communism and work to better the prospects for their families.

who's being penalized for working hard?
  12. Patters

Ratings:
    +170 / 4 / -4

I agree with you. I hope it's more than that, but chances are the schools take into account essays, interviews, clubs and teams the student belonged to in high school, and well as the person's individual circumstances.
  13. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +154 / 7 / -13

Such as?

Most don't approach CalTech.

I know of others that work hard but not to that extent, or do you just believe Asians are genetically superior?

Yes I am. That is how one of the spouses were able to work doing electronics for a defense contractor, which required a background check thanks for asking.

Kids with perfect SAT scores being passed over for admissions to the University of their choice for students with 25-30 percent scores when the decision is based on race. That is racism and is wrong.
  14. Patters

Ratings:
    +170 / 4 / -4

You don't think a university should ask about race, but it's okay for a business to do that?
  15. Real World

Ratings:
    +371 / 4 / -2

I don't think the race of a prospective student is any business of a university that's tasked with the job of educating people. What difference would their race make? I guess if it's a private university, then sure. If they're running the show without taxpayer funds, then it's their show to run. Want all women, all men, only redheads, etc. go for it. It's private afterall. Public, then MYOB.
  16. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +154 / 7 / -13

He is pointing out the inconsistency in the law and the reactions of those who claim to oppose racism.
  17. Patters

Ratings:
    +170 / 4 / -4

And I'm pointing out his own inconsistency. Perhaps the reason for that inconsistency is that universities and private businesses have fundamentally different aims.
  18. Patters

Ratings:
    +170 / 4 / -4

I understand. Obviously, you have to have a reason for your inconsistency. My reason for my inconsistency is that racism is wrong so no one should discriminate, but a university has the obligation to consider other factors besides grades. For instance, it's valuable to have black doctors in black communities since they will have a better understanding of black culture and behaviors. If blacks, for whatever reason, tend to have lower grades, that does not mean there should be no black doctors, it means that medical schools need to look beyond just grades. I think you've said that you're 2nd generation Italian. I'll bet that even if my grades are ten times better than yours, you'd be more effective at working with people of Italian descent than I would be.
  19. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +154 / 7 / -13

So if we distill it,

Racism by left wing academics seeking diversity admitting unqualified students is good.

Racism by evil capitalist is bad.
  20. Real World

Ratings:
    +371 / 4 / -2

Excuse me? My inconsistency? Where am I being inconsitent?

Wow, you have no idea how hypocritical you sound. So, it's ok for schools to discriminate because it's important to have black doctors in black communites. Is it ok to have white workers in white communities then?

So it doesn't matter if a person isn't really qualified to be a doctor, so long as he's black, brown, green, a redhead, etc. he should be allowed to be one. Who cares if people die as a result from improper care, we'd have red headed doctors dammit, to care for red headed people! :bricks:

This is where the hypocracy of liberals like Patters makes me laugh.