PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Collective PatsFans Wisdom on how to attack Jets defense?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have no idea how many times, while watching that game, I yelled at the tv screen, "Who the f%%K is calling those damned plays. GOD, you freaking guys are worse than a HS coach"

And yet, even though it wasn't working, they kept trying it anyway expecting a different result.

Welcome to the World of Cam Cameron play-calling!

You have no idea how many times, while watching that game, I yelled at the tv screen, "Who the f%%K is calling those damned plays. GOD, you freaking guys are worse than a HS coach"

And yet, even though it wasn't working, they kept trying it anyway expecting a different result.

So, if the Patriots are playing a team that's shutting down the passing game, you think Brady & Company should just try completely transforming into a power running team in the blink of an eye? You think that's the best way to find success?

I'd run some TE drags with Gronk and Crump toward Revis's side of the field so that they deliver the hits to Revis when he has to make the tackle.

After a couple of those, I'd run a fly route with Moss. :)

As I laid out earlier in this thread, it isn't hard to figure out to beat the Jets defense. Their defense isn't that complicated to figure out. The problem is executing the blueprint to actually beating them. That is the hard part.

As good as they looked Monday though, I think they currently have more chinks in the armor this year than last that can be exploited. I don't think their secondary is nearly as good or their pass rush. Granted it is an one game sample. I think the Pats can have a lot of success like in week 10 last year if it is the case though.

After the Jets penalty-fest last week, which do you think is more likely to happen?

A) The Jets continue to play sloppy and undisciplined football, giving up lots of yards and 1st downs due to penalties

B) They become afraid of causing penalties, so they overcompensate and back off too much?

spread the ball around and the Jet's will find ways to lose ... it's that easy.

i think we saw the ravens have some real good success rolling flacco out away from the overloaded side and passing to guys running crossing routes

I'm not exactly sure how you have come to the conclusion that I suggested, or said that.

But if that is what you believe I said, or suggested, I bow to your greater ability to read minds. I wish I could do that Does the noise from many minds all speaking at once keep you awake at night?

Maybe it's better than counting sheep. After all, who wants to hear "baa, baa, baa" all night long when they can hear inquiring minds discuss a power running game.

Did this ability come naturally or did it come from eating a lot of fish as a kid. You know, they day that it is "brain food."

Did your parents ever ask you what happened to your goldfish?

It was a simple pair of questions, really, but I'll try to make it easier for you, since it seemed to go over your head.

The Ravens have a particular style. They were using it. You wanted them to change and do something they aren't comfortable with. I was asking if you'd expect that same sort of reaction from the Patriots.

The best way to counter the blitz is to play out of the shotgun. It will give Brady that extra .5 second to get the ball out. Screen the crap out of them and you'll probably have a a big play or two.

It's not nice to pick on handicapped people, D. :)

Last edited:
Gun isn't perfect, either, and I would actually lean towards under center. The primary issue with gun is that you already know what's coming as a defense. Pin your ears back and go get 'em. You only have a draw as a run, and given the a gap penetration that defense has that basically amounts to taking a knee. Draws are effective when they create wide lanes as the pocket forms. A stunting, blitzing defense eats draws for breakfast. Also, with those safeties rolled up tight, screens become a moot point. These are the most fundamental pressure beaters, you can't assume that the designer of the scheme hasn't taken these simple defeats into account.

The other issue with gun is that your qb is a sitting duck. Movement is what keeps you alive in football. Against a blitz and coming penetration, Brady is much better sliding off of his hitch step that a simple catch and chuck. It also lets his routes get off of their jams as he takes his drop steps.

assuming the Jets are adopting the same swarming, high energy, often chaotic and penalty prone defense as last week I'd think Belichick would give Brady as many short dump pass options as possible - TEs, WRs, RBs etc... weave in an actual running game and you've got a low risk 5 yard a down gameplan going i

Brady could shred a defense and drive a defense crazy given all his weapons as well as the fact that he does have a deep option if Moss can get open

But I think the Jets might take a different approach to this game compared to the Ravens giving the Pats a very different look

really it's all just a guess but that's what I'm going with

As I think about the forthcoming game against the Jets, I continue to be intrigued by the possibilities of three receivers bunched to one side of the formation and Randy Moss split wide on the other side.

How would the Jets defend that formation assuming that Reeves is left alone with Moss? CB, S and LB rotated to cover the bunched receivers? Presumably the other S shades to that side as well, right?

The Pats receiver personnel in the bunch could be any number of combinations. Conceivably, the same formation could be used with completely different receivers and I am not sure how the Jets would defend them.

Wise Choice Would Be To Spread Out "O" And Have RB Pick Up Blitzes. 2 Tight End Formation At Times Or Even 3. Let Welker Work His Magic, Edelman If Healthy Is Key Also In Slot.
You Would Think Jets Will Bring It Majority Of Game But Look For Wrecks Cryin To Mix It Up And Play D To Lay Back, Either Way
Spread Them Out, Trick'm Up alil With Reverses No Huddles As Well.

I don't know what the Pats need to do to win, as I'm not an expert of any kind. The main thing that worries me is that the Jets were able to get to Flacco and I think the Ravens have a better O-Line (slightly). That doesn't bode well for the Pats. Brady will have to get rid of the ball very very quickly often.

I don't know what the Pats need to do to win, as I'm not an expert of any kind. The main thing that worries me is that the Jets were able to get to Flacco and I think the Ravens have a better O-Line (slightly). That doesn't bode well for the Pats. Brady will have to get rid of the ball very very quickly often.

The difference is that Brady is a much better than Flacco and can throw of the ball a lot faster than Flacco can. The way to counter a blitzing pass rush is quick passes. Flacco especially early in the game held onto the ball far too long.

Also, later in the game after Jenkins went down, the pass rush didn't get to Flacco nearly as much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back