Welcome to PatsFans.com

'coLLapse'... by Chris Smith

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PressCoverage, Oct 10, 2009.

1. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Chris Smith (not to be confused with British horror director of same name).

His "Collapse" has been the talk of the recent Toronto Film Festival. Probably look for it in indepedent theaters in Nov.

Chris Smith’s ‘Collapse’ the Scariest Movie of All Time? - BlackBook

A lot of what I’ve read coming out of the Toronto International Film Festival confirms the same opinion: Chris Smith’s Collapse is a terrifying, gut-wrenching, oh-god-no! type of film. But it’s neither slasher nor big-budget rendering of Armageddon. Rather, it’s a documentary focusing on cop-turned-reporter Michael Ruppert. What, you may ask, is so scary about that? Turns out Ruppert is something of Cassandra figure who predicted the sub-prime mortgage crisis with crazy accuracy a few years back. He’s got some other pretty frightening predictions too.

For one thing, Ruppert thinks the moment of peak oil (when the rate of oil production enters terminal decline) is basically upon us, and that, as a consequence, life as we know it is perilously close to an end. The future will be survivable, yes, but very, very unpleasant. This is not a new theory, of course, and Ruppert apparently gives signs during the interview of being perhaps a bit tetched. Nevertheless, few have come way from the film unmoved, and many have written about it as if somewhat shell-shocked. “He’s like Noam Chomsky as a gripping pundit of doom,” says Owen Gleiberman at Entertainment Weekly. “Even if you want to argue with him (and you will, since he’s predicting very bad things), you can’t dismiss what he’s saying.”

Review:

Toronto: The buzz film 'Collapse' showcases a gripping pundit of economic doom | EW.com

2. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

from the blog of Michael C. Ruppert:

Oct.9, 2009 -- For those of you who have listened for so long and for those who may be new. Do whatever you can to get out of dollar denominated assets and do it quickly. It is looking to me like the run on the dollar has begun in earnest. This is the one I have consistently predicted as far back as 2003-2004. I'm not going to write a long argument. Those who have been reading this blog don't need it. All the rest of you can just go back and read the terrific postings made here by Jenna Orkin over the last month. Those of you who have followed me and FTW (fromthewilderness.com) for years will remember our only four previous warnings and you know how right those economic alerts proved to be. That's why I left a record of between two and three million words.

Do it now. We're all reading the same map.

MCR ​

Michael C. Ruppert is an author and advocate for sustainability in advance of global oil depletion. He is no paid economist by any means. So, take what he says with a grain of salt as you need to.

But his only 2 previous economic warnings on his old web site that I know of have been correct. ... One a few weeks before 9/11, and the second before the substantial collapse of the Dow Jones in 2002 which crushed a lot of 401ks.

He doesn't contribute to his blog much anymore, as one of his assistants has picked up the mantle while Ruppert has recovered from serious illness and battled legal issues. But, when he does stop by these days it's usually something interesting. ... I found a new economic warning from him rather sobering. Also, in late 2007 he gave the US economy 24-36 months before systemic collapse.
  3. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Dear anonymous coward: merely curious... What's 1-star about this topic? Do you even know what's being discussed? Is it just about me?

Anyhow, thanks for the badge of honor.
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2009
  4. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

5. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

One of my favorite dumb-***** moments of the prediction of the economic collapse was when Peter Schiff went on in 2006 and almost every other pundit laughed him off.

YouTube - Apologize to Peter Schiff

other 'experts' telling us to invest in financials...

MORONS!

logic tells you to listen to those who correctly predict things!

Thanks for the post, and heads up PressCoverage!
  6. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +126 / 7 / -13

This guy is probably correct in his prediction.
  7. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

but he's dead wrong about 9/11 though, right?
  8. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

9. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

trailor released.

Apple - Movie Trailers - Collapse

It's not pleasant stuff, I understand. But... ignore this film at your own peril.

Americans generally like to hear good news. They like to believe that a new President will right old wrongs, that clean energy will replace dirty oil, and that fresh thinking will set the economy straight. American pundits tend to restrain their pessimism and to hope for the best. But is anyone prepared for the worst? Michael Ruppert is a different kind of American. A former Los Angeles police officer turned independent reporter, he predicted the current financial crisis in his self-published newsletter “From the Wilderness” at a time when most Wall Street and Washington analysts were still in denial. Smith has always had a feeling for outsiders in films like “American Movie” and “American Job.” In “Collapse,” Smith stylistically departs from his past films by interviewing Ruppert in a format that recalls the work of Errol Morris and Spalding Gray. Sitting in a room that looks like a bunker, Ruppert recounts his career as a radical thinker and spells out the crises he sees ahead. He draws upon the same news reports and data available to any Internet user, but he applies a unique interpretation. He is especially passionate over the issue of “peak oil,” the concern raised by scientists since the 1970s that the world will eventually run out of fossil fuel. While other experts debate this issue in measured tones, Ruppert doesn’t hold back at sounding an alarm. He portrays a future that resembles apocalyptic science fiction. Listening to his rapid flow of opinions, the viewer is likely to question some of the rhetoric as paranoid or deluded; and to sway back and forth on what to make of the extremism. Smith lets viewers form their own judgments.
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  10. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +188 / 7 / -23

There is a two part series on Frontline right now, called "The Warning"..

FRONTLINE: the warning | PBS

11. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Frontline rules... Thanks for sharing...
  12. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +188 / 7 / -23

Unless you belong to a lunatic cult fringe group... then it would be very bad.
  13. Titus Pullo

Titus Pullo Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

*bump*

I saw this film recently, and came away with mixed feelings. Definitely very "Fog of War", Errol Morris-like.

The subject's foundation is sound, and definitely a lot has come true. But his is very much a worst-case scenario glimpse into the near future.

I have little doubt global resource depletion is real, and that commodity markets control the global economy; but I'm not ready to say mankind can't find a way out of it if it pulls its collective head from its ass. Though, our electorate gives us little indication to believe otherwise lately.

Anyone seen "Collapse?"
  14. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +188 / 7 / -23

No, but this thread makes me mindful of the missed intelligence of Press...

He kept a lot of folks from the right honest.. that is missed.
  15. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +334 / 6 / -8

To the contrary - it's Frontline that caused our economic woed, by being produced for public television...

Thank God they're getting to the root of that problem.
  16. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +580 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

Absolutely ... he was railroaded out of here for some reason I still don't get.
  17. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I just watched the film after seeing this post. Although I like films like this a lot, critically speaking, I didn't find much fact, or substance to any claim he made. He Claimed the facts were backing up what he said, but I would have like to see a chart, or report which showed Saudi Arabia 9% decline in Oil Production.

So overall, I feel like films like FOOD, INC. are constructed better, and shed real light on issues, and back it up with dot connection after dot connection with facts....

This, although I do believe we are on a consumption course of destruction... I didn't see him offer any real facts, to differentiate anything he is saying from the people who were saying the same things as it was in the 70s. An issue he actually addresses. And like in the 70s, the second someone invests a new extraction process... we buy another 30 years perhaps???

He theories, and ideas are valid only on the assumption that we aren't actively trying to solve these issues right now with Peak Oil. All it takes is another new route, or another new oil field somewhere, and boom... this system and cycle can live on for another 40 years...
  18. Titus Pullo

Titus Pullo Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I think the film is presented under the assumption viewers are familiar with the man's vast body of work already, including fromthewilderness.com and his speaking engagements since 9/11.

The things said in the 70s were based on misinterpretations and straw man creation over the "Limits to Growth" paper, which was ultimately accurate. The diagnosis in that paper pointed to a peak in the first decade of the new century, NOT the early 80's, as some try to claim.

Whatever people misconstrued from what that report actually said is not the fault of the Club of Rome in the least.

And this is valid only under the assumption that the world hasn't been scoured many times over already. It has.
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2011
  19. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +190 / 3 / -10

Michael Ruppert is an extremely bright man on many levels. I think he's one of the few people I've ever read about with an inate ability to see straight through the forest for the truth.

Having said that, he's not a guru and one thing I can't stand are people who follow personalities as they're giving the sermon on the mount.
  20. Titus Pullo

Titus Pullo Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

subtle qualification at the end there.

I have no allegiance to Ruppert.
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2011