PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cold Weather games

Status
Not open for further replies.

SVN

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
What do you think of the pats offense in the cold weather games later in the season ? We have see more shotgun snaps from brady than any other season -someone can correct me if they have the stats. We seem to come out in 3 WR more . How succesfull will this offense be or how much the pats will change during the cold weather ? Seems like this offense is built for a fast track.Thoughts ?

Won't be an issue. The Patriots are apparently all Devil worshipers, so they'll import some Hellfire to keep it toasty.

I always point out how well Brady threw the ball in the Snow Bowl. He was a rookie and has receivers a hell of alot better. The question is how these receivers will do in the cold.

What do you think of the pats offense in the cold weather games later in the season ? We have see more shotgun snaps from brady than any other season -someone can correct me if they have the stats. We seem to come out in 3 WR more . How succesfull will this offense be or how much the pats will change during the cold weather ? Seems like this offense is built for a fast track.Thoughts ?

Actually, I think the shotgun snaps were as frequent last year. Brady has always liked the shotgun because it gives him a few extra seconds. The offensive line was a lot more shaky last year and Brady needed the shotgun to buy extra time especially since late in the season our running game was usually shot by halftime.

I think we have seen the spread formation far more this year especially since I don't think they had three WRs they could trust on the field at the same time.

I don't think the weather will be as big as a factor as some with think. In fact, poor weather can favor a passing offense because it is harder for the defender to make cuts and change direction since they don't know beforehand where the receiver is going.

Brady has had some big games in cold or inclimate weather. Obviously none as big as this year's games so far, but he has had few games in his career as good as even some of the worst games he has played this season.

Besides, it is the end of October and it is in the 70s today. It could be a very mild winter.

As long as it's not so windy as to disrupt the flight of the ball tremendously, passing offenses typically benefit from playing in in climate weather due, in very large part, to the receivers knowing the pattern called which gives them a decided advantage over defenders who have to guess where the play is going. With bad footing this can be an exercise in futility for the defender.

More ground,less Pass I think IMO

I think we will continue to do the same as now, 50-50 pass-run.

I don't think cold will be so much the issue as snow/sleet/slop. The field will be taken out of the equation now.

One interesting thought here:

Before (03-04), with the old pass-happy Indy team, we considered it a HUGE advantage to play them in cold, snowy Foxboro vs. their fast-track dome.

Now that the Pats have retooled their air attack, and the Colts have morphed more of a power running game, how big an advantage is it?

I'm not saying we don't want to win on Nov 4th, and het HFA in the playoffs, since their are other benefits, such as the crowd, less travel, etc.

I'm just saying I don't think it the same relative advantage for us as in previous years given the new configurations of these teams. An extreme view might even say we would PREFER to play an elimination game in a dome.

In balmy weather, the Pats have proven to have the advantage over other teams. Detrimental conditions should simply emphasize this gap. Losing a cylander in a V12 has less impact than in a V6, for a poor analogy. Besides,
Randy Moss has played plenty of winter games in Soldier's Field and Lambeau.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back