PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cold, Snow in Denver tomorrow? [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFan24

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Bad Weather in Denver

It could be windy and snowing in Denver this weekend. Should be fun. Football in the snow is more gooder. And when they wear the old school uniforms....much more gooder

Re: Bad Weather in Denver

I have a bad habit of doing this.....sorry

latest I heard would be cold (in the 40's, but only 30% chance of precipitation. Nothing said about the wind, and when it comes down to it, its the wind that really determine if its a good passing day.

Aren't we 8-0 in the snow or something like that?

It could be windy and snowing in Denver this weekend. Should be fun. Football in the snow is more gooder. And when they wear the old school uniforms....much more gooder

I hope they are practicing with Matthews, and are overall pounding the rock in practice. May be tough to pass the ball.

I hope they are practicing with Matthews, and are overall pounding the rock in practice. May be tough to pass the ball.

Definitely makes us miss Taylor.

The air in Denver is very thin and dry, so the cold doesn't feel nearly as bad. The biggest factor in the game will be the thin air. The effect of the thin air can be pretty severe in people who aren't acclimated, especially the big guys. Denver has the single greatest home field advantage in the NFL, which was a MAJOR factor in many of Elway's 4th quarter comebacks.

I'm very curious to see BB's game plan for this game. I think time of possession will be a huge factor in who wins.

Last edited:

I'm very curious to see BB's game plan for this game. I think time of possession will be a huge factor in who wins this game
I wish I could find league time of possession stats. We're destroying the league there, we even smoked Baltimore in that and Baltimore was ahead of us going in, I believe.

Ah, here we go :

NFL Stats - CBSSports.com

We're third but our 35:41 would have been first last year but a wide margin (Baltimore was first at 33:10 so that shows how good we've been. Interestingly we were third last year too. Denver is just a touch above average at 30:36 this year.

I'm very curious to see BB's game plan for this game. I think time of possession will be a huge factor in who wins.
I don't understand the love affair with time of possession. Also the deal with "keeping the ball from the opponent."

You can't keep the ball from him, only delay his getting it. Last I checked, teams took turns with possession. So youk have a ten minute drive or a 10 second drive. Either way, the other guy gets the ball right after you.

What matters is not how long you keep the ball, but what you do with it.

You have the ball on a ten minute drive and kick a FG.
The other team gets tha ball back and scores a TD in 30 seconds.
You have a 4 minute drive and punt.
They hav a one minute drive and score a TD.

Everyone says to keep the ball away from the opponent, but don't they get the ball every singel time after you score or punt?

As far as I can tell, the only way to keep the ball away from your opponent is to force turnovers and not turn the ball over yourself. Running the ball and long drives do not keep the other team from having their turn at the ball.

Cold in the 40's. Not expected to snow. That's coming tonight into Saturday for the Rockies game I believe.

Thin air was not a factor. Elway being better than every awful QB the Pats rolled out to face him was. Don't let the mile high BS get into your head too. These are conditioned athletes not some rube who just stumbled out of the donut shop.

Go Pats!

I don't understand the love affair with time of possession. Also the deal with "keeping the ball from the opponent."

You can't keep the ball from him, only delay his getting it. Last I checked, teams took turns with possession. So youk have a ten minute drive or a 10 second drive. Either way, the other guy gets the ball right after you.

Everyone says to keep the ball away from the opponent, but don't they get the ball every singel time after you score or punt?

As far as I can tell, the only way to keep the ball away from your opponent is to force turnovers and not turn the ball over yourself. Running the ball and long drives do not keep the other team from having their turn at the ball.

Yes and no.

Obviously, teams alternate turns with the ball. So if you don't do much with the ball while you have it and you can't stop the other guys when they have the ball, TOP doesn't help you much. Case in point: Miami vs. Indy, game 2 this year. Colts had the ball for less than 15 minutes but won because (1) Miami couldn't stop them, (2) Miami couldn't put the ball in the end zone when they had to, and (3) Miami had no ability to play catch-up.

But dominating the TOP does do a lot of nice things, including:

1. Wears down the opposing team's defense. Keep their defense on the field and tire them out by the 4th quarter. It's more fatiguing to play more defensive minutes.

2. Keeps your defense fresh.

3. Keeps the game close. It's hard to run up the score if you only have the ball for a limited number of possessions.

4. Puts pressure on the other team to make every possession count. This can lead to mistakes.

Not every team has a Peyton Manning who can pull a rabbit out of his hat all the time, especially against a defense that can't stop the pass. Generally, dominate the TOP and you will dominate the game.

Yes and no.

Obviously, teams alternate turns with the ball. So if you don't do much with the ball while you have it and you can't stop the other guys when they have the ball, TOP doesn't help you much. Case in point: Miami vs. Indy, game 2 this year. Colts had the ball for less than 15 minutes but won because (1) Miami couldn't stop them, (2) Miami couldn't put the ball in the end zone when they had to, and (3) Miami had no ability to play catch-up.

But dominating the TOP does do a lot of nice things, including:

1. Wears down the opposing team's defense. Keep their defense on the field and tire them out by the 4th quarter. It's more fatiguing to play more defensive minutes.

2. Keeps your defense fresh.

3. Keeps the game close. It's hard to run up the score if you only have the ball for a limited number of possessions.

4. Puts pressure on the other team to make every possession count. This can lead to mistakes.

Not every team has a Peyton Manning who can pull a rabbit out of his hat all the time, especially against a defense that can't stop the pass. Generally, dominate the TOP and you will dominate the game.

It comes down to simply scoring TDs instead of FGs against the Colts. I remember last year we dominated them in TOP by like 15+ mins, yet they still got us. But overall, keeping the ball away works perfectly (as we have seen this year)

Cold in the 40's. Not expected to snow. That's coming tonight into Saturday for the Rockies game I believe.

Thin air was not a factor. Elway being better than every awful QB the Pats rolled out to face him was. Don't let the mile high BS get into your head too. These are conditioned athletes not some rube who just stumbled out of the donut shop.

Go Pats!

I lived in Colorado for many years, so I know what the effect the altitude can have on people, and that includes athletes. Heck, I was in very good shape at age 25 when I first moved there, and was severely affected for weeks by the thin air.... a friend who was a an avid swimmer was affected more than I was, so I know for fact that it's not completely dependent on the shape you're in. I had a lot of family and freinds come stay with me out there, and it seemed to affect everybody differently. Some weren't noticably affected at all (including a couple of longtime couch potatos), and others could hardly go up the stairs for a week or so. The only tendency I could really find was that it seemed to affect larger people more often than smaller folks. It might not have affected you, but affects many.

Also, I wasn't just refering to Elway against the just the Pats. Elway is known for his 4th quarter comebacks. Coicidently, notable running backs in Denver who were known as "great" backs "later in the game", weren't so great when they joined other teams.

Last edited:

The reason I bring up time of possession is because our defense will tire out quickly in the thin air, so it's ESSENTIAL that our offense sustain long drives. We need to keep our defense off the field as much as possible. I'm not saying this is the only factor, or the most important. I'm just saying that when you play IN DENVER, time of possession becomes much more important than when playing anywhere else.

<< I think time of possession will be a huge factor in who wins. >>

No... whoever has the ball the least will win.

Maroney on snow might be good for us. Hopefully kind of like Emmitt Smith on snow in Sega Genesis Madden 94.

Maroney on snow might be good for us. Hopefully kind of like Emmitt Smith on snow in Sega Genesis Madden 94.

Forget Maroney, time to bring in Green Ellis to run it. Let him ear down the Denver D some.

In passing situations Denver is going to play Moss over and under, and slide a LB up to help the safety with Welker. That leaves Aiken with single coverage and Baker or Faulk one on one with a LB or nickel back.

If the O line can keep Brady upright, we have some opportunities to move the ball.

BB has this covered. He's bringing a secret weapon.....Mark Henderson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes