PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cold Hard Football Facts ranks Patriots overall history of the franchise at #12 rank

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Cold Hard Football Facts ranks Patriots overall history of the franchise at #12 r

Here is some more Flawed Logic on my part. Taking 2 other QBs who happened to play in the Superbowl 4 times. I'll do QB Rating and Total Career Touchdowns.

Terry Bradshaw 1st Superbowl appearance QB Rating 108.0
Tom Brady 1st Superbowl appearance QB Rating 86.2
Joe Montana 1st Superbowl appearance QB Rating 100.0

Terry Bradshaw 2nd Superbowl appearance QB Rating 122.5
Tom Brady 2nd Superbowl appearance QB Rating 100.5
Joe Montana 2nd Superbowl appearance QB Rating 127.2

Terry Bradshaw 3rd Superbowl appearance QB Rating 119.2
Tom Brady 3rd Superbowl appearance QB Rating 110.2
Joe Montana 3rd Superbowl appearance QB Rating 115.2

Terry Bradshaw 4th Superbowl appearance QB Rating 101.9
Tom Brady 4th Superbowl appearance QB Rating 82.5
Joe Montana 4th Superbowl appearance QB Rating 147.6

Who’s the best in Big Games?

TDS Career Superbowl
Terry Bradshaw = 9
Tom Brady = 7
Joe Montana = 11

I take emotion out of it, and use the numbers, and since my first list of Numbers was records based on career and in season, and these are based upon Superbowl appearances, we can conclude that Brady doesn't have the most best Season (he has tds in a season) or Career numbers ever and we also conclude that he does not have the best SB numbers ever. Hence, if he isn't #1 in either Regular Season stats for his career and isn't #1 in the Superbowl Stats, he can Not be called #1 best of all time. Not yet anyway.

Now Favre was busy breaking all the career records set by Dan Marino, hence the reason I had Favre logged in my book as higher than Brady as the "best in the league" last season. Longevity does count in my book.

Re: Cold Hard Football Facts ranks Patriots overall history of the franchise at #12 r

Oh, and for the Record, Tom Brady isn't the all time leading passer in Patriots history, he is still 3000 yards behind Drew Bledsoe.

I wonder how different this list will look in another decade....

Here is some more Flawed Logic on my part. Taking 2 other QBs who happened to play in the Superbowl 4 times. I'll do QB Rating and Total Career Touchdowns.

TDS Career Superbowl
Terry Bradshaw = 9
Tom Brady = 7
Joe Montana = 11

I take emotion out of it, and use the numbers, and since my first list of Numbers was records based on career and in season, and these are based upon Superbowl appearances, we can conclude that Brady doesn't have the most best Season (he has tds in a season) or Career numbers ever and we also conclude that he does not have the best SB numbers ever. Hence, if he isn't #1 in either Regular Season stats for his career and isn't #1 in the Superbowl Stats, he can Not be called #1 best of all time. Not yet anyway.

Now Favre was busy breaking all the career records set by Dan Marino, hence the reason I had Favre logged in my book as higher than Brady as the "best in the league" last season. Longevity does count in my book.

What about the Playoffs. You did Regular season and you did Superbowl...you are skipping a few games there.

Oh, and for the Record, Tom Brady isn't the all time leading passer in Patriots history, he is still 3000 yards behind Drew Bledsoe.

Yes, But he's 3 Rings ahead of him - and I don't think he's done....unlike Drew.

TDS Career Superbowl
Terry Bradshaw = 9
Tom Brady = 7
Joe Montana = 11

Flawed indeed.

Yeah, flawed.

As for the playoffs, let me finish this project I'm working on that actually pays my bills then I'll evaluate Playoff performances. Tom has been in the playoffs what 6 times right? I'll compare his playoff numbers to other qbs. I pick Elway, Aikman, Bradshaw, Montana, Young, Favre and Marino. If you'd rather see another "great" have his playoff numbers put beside Tom let me know, I'll do that. Maybe Staubach or someone like that. Kelly maybe? He played in a few playoff games. Heck I can do Payton too.

It'll take time, wait for it and I'll work it up. I'll do QB Rating Carreer Playoffs, plus TDs, Ints, Yards, Competetions and Wins vs Losses. That'll give us a good picture of how well Tom stacks up to the others.

Remember folks, I'm not doing this to discredit Tom in anyway, I'm doing this to put his accomplishments in perspective with historical greats of the game. (heck the guy has 3 rings already, that's awesome in itself. First year HOF for sure)

Last edited:

Yes, But he's 3 Rings ahead of him - and I don't think he's done....unlike Drew.

How do you get he is three rings ahead of him?

Last time I looked Drew Bledsoe was on the 2001 championship team so how do you figure?

Here we go. Playoffs including Superbowl games played (sorry but it was too much work to dig out just playoffs minus the superbowls)
TDs yards, ints Career
Brady 17 games, 88.0 rating, 3954 yards, 26 tds, 12 ints
Marino 18 games, 77.1 rating, 4510 yards, 32 tds, 24 ints
Favre, 22 games, 85.2 rating, 5311 yards, 39 tds, 28 ints
Elway, 22 games, 79.9 rating 4964 yards, 27 tds, 21 ints
Montana 23 games, 96.2 rating, 5772 yards, 45 tds, 21 ints
Bradshaw 19 games, 83.0 rating, 3833 yards, 30tds, 26 ints
Staubach 19 games, 76.5 rating, 2827 yards, 24 tds, 19 ints
Kelly, 17 games, 71.7 rating, 3863 yards, 20 tds, 28 ints
P Manning, 14 games, 84.4 rating, 3897 yards, 21 tds, 17 ints.
Young, 20 games, 85.8 rating, 3326 yards, 20 tds, 13 ints
Aikman, 16 games, 89.0 rating, 3849 yards, 24 tds, 17 ints

also, check out this site for "opinion using stats" on QBs in nfl history and their greatness. This guy has a really good analysis.

Best Playoff QBs
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/blog/?p=548
Best Regular Season QBs
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/blog/?p=547

Enjoy.

Small issues with Cleveland and Oakland being rated so highly. Since 1986, the Raiders mostly lose, and many times have been amongst the doormats. That's 22 years, or nearly half their existance. Cleveland hasn't won sqadoosh in 40 plus years, and has a .355 Playoff Winning %. #6 and #9 respectively? I don't see it.

Pats have had some clunker teams, but had some talented teams in the mid 70's, were in the Super Bowl in 1986, and again in 1996, and have dominated this current decade, playing in 4 Super Bowls, and winning 3 of them. I put them at #10, with the Raiders and Cleveland sliding behind them.

great points....agree totally on Oakland and Cleveland.....Pats have been the dynasty of a decade......almost ten years now they have been at the top or within reach of being at the top.....not many teams can say that,......I think they (Pats) should be higher.......

Remember folks, I'm not doing this to discredit Tom in anyway, I'm doing this to put his accomplishments in perspective with historical greats of the game. (heck the guy has 3 rings already, that's awesome in itself. First year HOF for sure)

Right. I follow that. :rolleyes:

How do you get he is three rings ahead of him?

Last time I looked Drew Bledsoe was on the 2001 championship team so how do you figure?

Two. Sorry. I'm not that smart.

12th is a good spot for the Pats, they've played in 6 Superbowls, have 3 wins. That's legit as a Franchise.

Packers of coarse are #1 since the Trophy is named after their legendary coach. I don't really disagree with much on the list, except maybe the Raiders get a little too high of a ranking. Broncos could bump up a little as well, 6 Superbowl appearances is pretty legit by them. 2 - 4 if I remember correctly. I don't think the Giants would be as high if they didn't just win their 3rd and of coarse, do it against who they did, one of the best teams to ever finish a regular season.

I'd also put the Bills above the Seahawks. For all their flaws, they did make it to 4 in a row and have quite a few hall of fame players because of their run in the 90s.
Yeah the Seahawks have always been a joke up until their recent success. The Bills should definitley be ahead of them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back