PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cold Hard Football Facts: Patriots best drafters of decade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sciz

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Cold, Hard Football Facts.com: Decade in the making: the ultimate NFL draft grades

The Patriots got at least one impact player in each of their 10 drafts from 2001-2010, and maybe the biggest tribute to their ability to identify top talent is that all 10 of their No. 1 picks were still playing in the league last year along with 11 of their 14 No. 2s. This bodes well for 2011 draftees Nate Solder, Ras-I Dowling and Shane Vereen.

Just something to keep in mind next time you're on the "draft day cliff."

That is an impressive article.....

that's why they call it the ..decade of domination......

:rocker:

They forgot to mention how great the Jets, Miami and Buffalo did.. would have thought they would be near the top:D:D:D

Shane Vereen will become a beast for us.

To me this article brings up the chicken and the egg theory again. BB is the best COACH in the league. His GM hat isnt so snug. His misses on FAs are notable. His trading of draft picks is cunning, but his use of those picks I would say still open to critcizm. Many could successfully argue that the nucleus of our Super Bowl teams were draft picks by BBs predicessors. And as successful as a 14-2 season is you dont better the worst defense in the league on 3rd down by drafting a single defensive player before #194....and another CB at that. BTW, I love BB the coach!

One has to think that BB sees improvement with Bodden and Warren returning along with Marcus starting.....not to mention the further development of a young defense. I still think a FA signing will come about.

I have complete trust in BB and his plans, whatever they are.....

Sit back and hope we get to enjoy some football this fall......

:rocker:

To me this article brings up the chicken and the egg theory again. BB is the best COACH in the league. His GM hat isnt so snug. His misses on FAs are notable. His trading of draft picks is cunning, but his use of those picks I would say still open to critcizm. Many could successfully argue that the nucleus of our Super Bowl teams were draft picks by BBs predicessors. And as successful as a 14-2 season is you dont better the worst defense in the league on 3rd down by drafting a single defensive player before #194....and another CB at that. BTW, I love BB the coach!

Word.

BTW, the same CHFF gave Belichoke a well-deserved failing grade for the most recent insulting disaster
of 3 weeks ago...and I thought they were being kind.
Broncos, Lions, Bucs grab honors; 'Boys, Jags fall flat - Kerry J. Byrne - SI.com

Last edited:

Well, it's entirely possible that YOU "dont better the worst defense in the league on 3rd down by drafting a single defensive player before #194....and another CB at that." Something tells me that BB will. Of course, that will be totally due to his coaching skill, not his evaluation that the players he has will perform better than those he could have drafted.

I love the Drafgt grades as well. However ESPN C'ed us:confused:

I continue to find a certain mentality here that has retreated from Bill Belichick is an idiot, and I could draft and coach better than him. As proof they offer, See, he hasn't been in a Superbowl in 3 Whole Years. And he spitefully refused to pick the one guy out of the bunch that succeeded, like my hindsight always says I would have picked, instead.

Under pressure, these people have now retreated to the position that BB is a good coach, who covers for his draft day terrible deficiencies, by his fair to middling coaches and players.

Posters jeffbiologist and capt'n stone, in the midst of one of the all time great Team reconstructions, almost done in record time, they continue to beleive it has never happened, nor apprently thought it was necessary at all. Despite the fact that there are only a handful of the personnel still on the roster from the Superbowl held in February 2008, a mere 34 months before, they ignore that rebuilt Team posted a 14-2 record the best in the entire league.

They insist Belichick is a fool for not drafting an OLB this past draft; and had the temerity to select a potential-Probowl Left Offensive tackle, after several defensive players had already been selected and all he had to chose were defensive leftovers.

BB then was foolish enough to select another CB when he already had Bodden... plus Butler and Whilhite, and compounded it by selecting a pair of RBs when he had perfectly fine 34, 35, and 36 year old Morris, Faulk and Taylor. The crowning effontery was to ignore his Star at QB, in their eyes. The one he has just proved he wanted by re-signing him to the richest contract in league history; and actually selected a pretty highly regarded college QB, who fell into his lap. A QB whose talent has been degraded by ephemeral, constantly repeated, rumors and innuendo about his character, that no one, nor Belichick's extensive draft and character research can seem to actually document.

In a mere two years from when he started to scrub his roster for the rebuilding, the team is already a Super bowl favorite by the Las Vegas oddsmakers, even without accounting for all the added talent of this past draft, to assure the league leading Offense will continue to function.

Some people are only happy being miserable; and some people just can't see the Forest for the Trees. :bricks:

Under pressure, these people have now retreated to the position that BB is a good coach, who covers for his draft day terrible deficiencies, by his fair to middling coaches and players. :bricks:

The cleverer people in the group that you refer to call Belichick a great coach or maybe even the greatest coach thus protecting themselves from the accusation that their evaluation of his drafting is based on prejudice.

Great post. But I have been meaning to ask you, do those annoying bricks mean anything in particular? Imagine a smiley here; I hate them and refuse to use them.

Unless my engineering/physics math has been replaced by new fangled biological math, #33 (Ras-I Dowling CB), actually is lower than #194...;)

Hi AzPatsFan,

By the way, I was not suggesting that you should turn the bricks off. I have already stopped the animation. But I have been wondering for a while what they mean.

Hi AzPatsFan,

By the way, I was not suggesting that you should turn the bricks off. I have already stopped the animation. But I have been wondering for a while what they mean.

Hi,

I interpret the bricks as "The Perfect Squelch".

Well, it's entirely possible that YOU "dont better the worst defense in the league on 3rd down by drafting a single defensive player before #194....and another CB at that." Something tells me that BB will. Of course, that will be totally due to his coaching skill, not his evaluation that the players he has will perform better than those he could have drafted.

Maineman, BB the coach and BB the GM many here agree have differing skill sets. Correct? It seems as though you might mistake BB poo for chocolate ice cream! Kidding. BB has done well in recent drafts but suggesting he is beyond criticizm on a board like this is ridiculous. Lets not forget that we havent won a SB in more than 6 years, thats about twice the average CAREER for a professional football player.

Hi,

I interpret the bricks as "The Perfect Squelch".

No, I stand by what I have said. Best coach ever and purely mediocre when it comes to Drafting. His best talent evaluations are his trades and FA picks ups. Not all work but whenever he has a hit, it changes the Team to the better. For every Burgess there is a Welker. For every Gabriel there is a Moss. Your squelch is respected but not my opinion. If you think he had a master plan to come out with the players in this Draft, you would be wrong then wouldn't you?

His last five years which includes 2010 which was very good include two years he should have stayed home. He is mid pack. I don't know why we try to twist that. He Drafts out of fear of making a mistake and I stand by that. If there is a player that every scout and player personnel evaluator, and yes Cousins other Teams have won Super bowls in the last five years, will say is a consensus blue chip player, BB will pass on him just to gain a pick for the next year. Some tiny wart might pop out that irks Bill. Yet he will go to the well and jump up for a Slater who cost him to move up. The results are a mixed bag. You would have us to believe he is infallible.You are respected for your opinion. You have not squelched certain truths.

IMO, his chess moves are not predetermined as to what is left on the board that he prefers. He doesn't have a crystal ball to see what each other Team might do. He will blink and move to next year. The Steelers and Packers have had success drafting. They don't stock pile picks. BB created his own monster and he won't let it die. The bad news is that this was a bad Draft year. I said that this fall from what I read. This year is worse (2012). Yet we blow picks at the top of this year.What will I see now? The old "In BB we trust " stuff.

It's not as complicated as we make it. It is not a mystery. His goal when he came into the Draft was to pick up some Picks for 2012. Robert Kraft stated that. He had a predetermined list of players that would work around that main goal like Solder and Dowling. Players like Bowers and Prince slipped. IMO BB was not ready for those instances. The blinders were on. It was my belief that he was shocked Jordan was still available in the 20s but his goal was 2012.In the War room, his biggest disappointment was not getting SF to bite for a 2012 second rounder.

He sits down and says Solder, Dowling a first rounder in 2012 and Ridley were his "binkies". What happened in between was not predetermined. It was where the cards fell. He screwed up his needs by playing the Solder pick and then panicking to get his 2012 pick from NO rather than sit down at #33 and trade that. He already had a deal in place for that with Al if he wanted it. He could have got Solder, sent a pick to the Chiefs for a pick who were selling the #21 and got Jordan or Wilkerson or Heyward of for that mater drop to get Sheard or Reed whom I believe he really wanted but could not get there. The Saints deal dictated the rest of our Draft.

There was no master plan after those three important items.It was just what was there that he could grab. He miscalculated where he could have gotten Dowling, and Ridley would have lasted at least another round. Now if they all work out to perfection he is a genius. But it was not the perfect scenario. His biggest BS line is his "value". Love the man as a coach but I see the BS meter going through the roof. The last three picks were not even close to "value". He did NOT make those picks. The ST coaches did. Carter was well noticed as a top ST player. He fits a need and if that works, BB is a genius once again. Cousins his ST work was a consideration.

This was a Draft I rate as a "C". A developmental LT, an oft injured and the key word here is "Safety" (whom I liked for the Pats in this Draft and if he is healthy can make this Draft a "B-"), a slightly taller Woodhead, an overdrafted RB who had one signature game that BB saw as the deal maker, two "steals " in Mallet and Cannon (loved those picks) and three JAGS.

If you all say that this Draft and the last five put BB on a pedestal, you are entitled to your opinion but it did not squelch mine. I am more excited to see if he can do something more than this yawner of a Draft and bring in some established talent in FA or trades to help TB now, not three years from now with a 17% chance of those players Drafted in 2011 working out.

My point is if he did take some blue chippers it would be easier for him to get them ready now than to take longshots and coach them up which gives him the most fun. With TB time is not on the Patriots side.

When BB goes to the track, would he ever bet on a favorite? I doubt it. I respect your opinion. Please respect those who think he is not the best Drafter.
DW Toys

Last edited:
His last five years which includes 2010 which was very good include two years he should have stayed home. He is mid pack. I don't know why we try to twist that. He Drafts out of fear of making a mistake and I stand by that. If there is a player that every scout and player personnel evaluator, and yes Cousins other Teams have won Super bowls in the last five years, will say is a consensus blue chip player, BB will pass on him just to gain a pick for the next year. Some tiny wart might pop out that irks Bill. Yet he will go to the well and jump up for a Slater who cost him to move up. The results are a mixed bag. You would have us to believe he is infallible.You are respected for your opinion. You have not squelched certain truths.

I'm not sure I've ever seen so much wrongness squished into such little text. Very impressive.

Yes, the last 5 years were "mid pack", but the last 10 years he is clearly one of the best and the same goes for the last two years. Anyone without an axe to grind can recognize the anamoly that was 2006-2008. What is funny is that, even in the down years, BB has managed to snag a probowl player in every single draft.

I also think it is hilarious that you guys talk about BB's fear of making a mistake, while at the same time say Solder is a project. Which is it? If he's so afraid, why does he take that kind of risk at 17? You can stand by your comments for as long as you like, it won't make them any more correct.

It is clear you don't understand the rationale behind trading back, and considering how much its been discussed on this board, I'm not going to rehash it. You've ignored it dozens of times before, no reason to believe you'll actually read it this time around.

No one says Bill is infallible. But the simple truth is that NE has acquired a probowl player in every draft BB has held, and they compare to the elite teams in draftee starts, pro bowls, allpros, guys still in the league over the past 10 years. Whine and complain all you want, you'll only come off looking like a fool.

Yes, the last 5 years were "mid pack", but the last 10 years he is clearly one of the best and the same goes for the last two years. Anyone without an axe to grind can recognize the anamoly that was 2006-2008. What is funny is that, even in the down years, BB has managed to snag a probowl player in every single draft.

Drafting is harder than the Belichick critics either understand or are willing to admit.

A 50% Chance You'll Squander Millions - WSJ.com

Predicting the future is a very uncertain business.

Drafting is all about probabilities and about risk/reward ratios. Even if the analysis is as good as it humanly can be, there will still be runs of bad luck, and of good luck. It is simply the nature of things when you are making decisions based on probabilities. If someone is calculating the probabilities and the risk/reward ratios correctly, it will work out over time as it has for Belichick.

Look at the long-term records of the people that the Belichick critics think are better at drafting then Belichick. You will see the same thing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye