Welcome to PatsFans.com

Cold hard facts: Classified U.S. Intelligence assessment of Iraq

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Fogbuster, Apr 28, 2007.

1. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

The consequences of a U.S. withdrawl from Iraq before that nation has a stable government:

(Speaking first here on Vietnam, then about Iraq)

... For most Americans, the consequences (of the Vietnam loss) were minimal. The vast majority of the 2.8 million of us who fought and bled there mourned the loss of 58,253 of our comrades, swallowed the bitterness of defeat, and got on with our lives. Our nation spent a few hundred million tax dollars on refugee relief and resettlement -- and tried to forget what people in Mr. Reid's party called "the long nightmare of Vietnam."

But classified U.S. intelligence assessments, military contingency plans and staff studies evaluating the consequences of a precipitous U.S. withdrawal from Iraq, coupled with the lack of funding for political reform measures -- as contained in the legislation just passed by Mr. Reid's party -- paint a far more dismal picture than anything that happened after Vietnam:

Within months, an immediate upsurge in vicious sectarian violence fomented by Iranian intervention on behalf of Shi'ite militias and Wahhabi-supported, al Qaeda-affiliated terror groups. [highlight] As U.S. forces retreat to a half-dozen staging areas for retrograde through Kuwait and Jordan, American casualties will dramatically increase from suicide bombers seeking "martyrdom" in their victory. [/highlight]

Inside of 18 months, the fragile, democratically elected government in Baghdad will collapse, precipitating a real sectarian civil war and creation of Taliban-like "regional governments" that will impose brutal, misogynistic rule throughout the country. The ensuing flood of refuges into Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Syria, Turkey and Iran will overwhelm relief organizations, creating a humanitarian disaster making what's happening in Darfur pale by comparison.

more:
    http://www.washingtontimes.com/commentary/onorth.htm

//
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2007
  2. mikey

mikey Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Cold hard facts from Oliver North, the convicted liar?

Last edited: Apr 29, 2007
  3. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

You've always told the truth in your life?? Never once told even a little white lie??? Ever??? (Even to save a million people from extermination by a communist regime???)

//
  4. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +328 / 6 / -8

Hey Fog, here's something to exercise your brain (in addition to learning the name "Democratic", which evidently you have confused with an individual you just have a hate-on for...)

1) You stipulate terrible, terrible damage from a precipitous withdrawl.

2) "Mr. Bush's party" complains time and again that we can not put a time table on withdrawl.

3) ...and then immediately goes on the attack, using the rubric that the timetable is too precipitous.

Put up or shut up. What is your preferred timetable, Fog? When should our troops leave?

You know, those guys who are your neighbors and coworkers and their kids in some cases, when should they be allowed out of this war we put them in, under false pretenses?

Oh I know... the day after the inauguration, so Bush doesn't ever have to say he withdrew.

Get stuffed with your obfuscatory tactics. You don't want our troops out and neither does North.

PFnV
  5. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Since your mind about people who disagree with you is already made up, I'm not going to argue with you.

But I will say this: My "time-table" is when Iraq is secure enough to stand on its own two feet without the need for our security forces to do the work of keeping the democracy stable, then U.S. troops should be on the next flight home. No sooner and no later.

That's also my reading of the Bush "time table".

Your cynicism toward the motivation and purpose of this endeavor is baseless. You project your own hopelessness toward the cause of policing terrorists and world jihadists. That's wrong. There is a way to stop terror, but it is definitely NOT by simply turning away. They have an agenda: world domination. Read their stuff. You seem to have a blind spot about that, much like those who pooh-poohed communism -- like Jimmy Carter. Evil only backs down when it knows it cannot possibly win. Just ignored and left alone -- as we did for more than 20 years with the jihadists -- it will NEVER back down.

I've got several relatives who volunteered to go to Iraq, including some who may be better than me, and if I had my way in the beginning of all of this they never would have gone. But when someone is threatening to blow up your house, you do something about it. Walking away is NOT an option because he will follow you home.

//
  6. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

So the official policy is still "we stand down when they stand up?"
  7. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

More like: when the can, and when they actually do stand up to the task of policing their own nation, then we pack up. This could happen in gradations, step by step; it doesn't -- and should NOT -- happen all at once. Such is like what happened in Vietnam, there one day, gone the next. Terrible, horrible result.

//
  8. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Well, dont we have to decide first who it is we are standing up?? That has yet to occur. Thanks to multiple blunders, we now face the risk of having noone left in the "coalition" but a small minority.

We have been led by a man with an IQ of a 4 year old into the "fight for our military lives" and this man refuses to use diplomacy. The sad truth to all of this? The result will be our men and women fighting for noone but themselves, while the Blackwater mercenaries fight solely for the oil companies rights to develop (steal) their oil.
  9. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

First, stop with the silly mis-characterisation of Geo Bush. Nobody graduates from Yale and Harvard Business School as a dunce, no matter who their daddy is.

Second, we are not there for the oil, not to just take it all for ourselves. We took it from a despot who surely was using it to fund his own nefarious designs to become the new Nebuchadnezzar of Babylon, a total despot who took all who challenged him out and shot them, or sent them to the gallows. Summarily, no trial at all.

Anyone can see that the new Iraq has been specifically created to allow all factions -- Sunni, Shi'a, and Kurd -- equal access to positions of responsibility. Such responsibility is not as easy as it may seem from the way you describe it. Death threats and attempts at assassination go part and parcel with such positions of responsibility.

That's what the U.S. -- should be the U.N., in truth -- is there to prevent: a new dictatorship replacing the old one. Geo Bush and Cheney have been clear about that, as was Rumsfeld and anyone else who has explained to the world. Our purpose has been clear from the get go, at least it has been for me.

//
  10. mr3putt

mr3putt Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

10 years and 50,000 dead later Fog.

Keep banging that drum.

You are thankfully an ever diminishing blip on the radar...soon to be lost forever amid the sweeping changes in 2008.
  11. mikey

mikey Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

George Bush was accepted to Harvard MBA with a 2.0 GPA.

Tell me, how many people get into Harvard with a 2.0 GPA?

12. mr3putt

mr3putt Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

A majority of one.

Gee last week you said we were there to prevent Saddam from funding suicide bombers. This week it's oil...next week?
  13. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

OK, Mr. Big Blip, what's YOUR alternative????? What scenario do you see????

You people who are so freaking quick to point out "all the dead" --- I heard that ******* bullsh!t all throughout the Vietnam war. So finally we listened to it and pulled out. What happened??? At least five million more deaths. What? Those deaths don't count because they "only Southeast Asians"???

What's your alternative, guy? I really want to know.

//
  14. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

You seem so smart. Have you???

//
  15. mr3putt

mr3putt Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I have already pointed out numerous times my preferred strategy for the Iraq quagmire. Other than your concern about "appearing" weak to the insurgients there has been no intelligent objection articulated by you.

The absurd tangient on the Viet Nam war is only a smoke screen by you to muddy the topic. The degree of death and destruction in Iraq today is a direct function of your precious Kurds, Sunni's and Shias desire to blow the SH!T out of each other daily. AGAIN...this violence is driven by deep religious motivations...not politics. Democracy is MEANINGLESS to these thugs.

5 million dead in Viet Nam is a bogus figure. You keep including ancillary numbers from Laos and Cambodia and God knows where else. AGAIN..we were not publically engaged anywhere outside of Viet Nam. We were not responsible then or now for what happened. If it were up to you we would still be in those jungles dying today...with the same level of sucess.

Gunboat diplomacy does not work.
    Not then...not now.

Singed,

The Big F'N Blip
  16. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

We removed Saddam why?

was he a threat to his neighbors? Nope

supporting Al Qaeda? Nope.

Attacked US interests? Nope.

Developed WMD? Nope.

Fogbuster...in your wildest delusion, the best you can come up with is some Biblical BS about his designs to use oil for funding a what????

Yes, he was a scumbag. He was also a brutal dictator. He tried political opponents in kangaroo courts (sounds eerily familiar, no?). All of that is true. But, he was not anything close to what you are often here mischaracterizing him as.

He didnt kill millions. You were already shown to be FOS on that one. Now, you are in his head and know what plans he had for the future??

Puhlese..spare yourself from further embarrassment.
    Get a clue.
  17. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

No threat to his neighbors???? Ask Kuwait. Ask the Kurds. Ask Israel.

No threat to the U.S.??? Selling oil under the table for what?? To feed the "poor"??? No, to build up his private coffers. For what?? Another presidential palace??

Already stated going into Iraq with guns blazing was NOT my first choice. Wasn't ANY choice of mine. But, guess what? We're there and now we have to make the best of it. And the best of it is to make sure the government we leave behind is stable and Western-friendly. Cutting and running at this point is NOT an option. Not if you don't want to see "insurgents" bringing suitcase bombs into Boston Harbor, Manhattan, Chicago, DC, LA, (they will skip San Fran; too many friends there), and Seattle. Poof. No more Patriots on TV. Nor anything else.

I'm tired of arguing this point. If you don't want to grasp this fundamental reality, don't. Thankfully, the majority of Americans do.

//
  18. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Yada, yada.

Still waiting for your counter-proposal. See my previous post. Cutting and running at this point is NOT an option.

//
  19. mr3putt

mr3putt Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Cutting and running is not what I proposed AND YOU KNOW IT.

We will agree to disagree Fog.
    Keep banging that broken drum.

Watching your boy Tenet on TV?
    The bus is backing up right now...Heads up Cheney!!!!!!!
  20. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +186 / 6 / -23

Just because you post the same thing over and over and over and over again there are those of us who believe that George is an idiot, should not have gone into Iraq and should get out of Iraq.. posting an article displaying a view is one thing, then defending it with the same line of crap over and over and over and over and over again makes not sense, this situation is polarized and you are arguing just to argue.