PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Coin Toss

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaBronxPats14

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I know BB would rather defer coin toss then to receive beginning of games. I think in some cases with our offense it could be a positive to receive getting offense off and striking first. Brady with a rhythm and early points can alter oppositions game plan early.
Brady & Pats scoring VS Broncos in 2 mins receiving is a boost and confidence builder FIRES UP everyone.

This week VS Ravens if Pats win coin toss, would it better to receive or defer?

He'll defer because he likes having the ball at the beginning of the second half but I liked getting out to a fast start this week and I'd like to see more of that.

He'll defer because he likes having the ball at the beginning of the second half but I liked getting out to a fast start this week and I'd like to see more of that.

this is correct; however, Belichick occasionally claims that deferring gives the Patriots "an extra possession" which unfortunately is mathematically incorrect.

just out of curiosity, can someone say exactly how the coin flip works in the NFL. After the visiting team calls the flip, the coin flip winner gets to choose either kick or receive? Or could the winner choose sides? In the case of the latter, does then the other team choose kick or receive?

The guys on in the morning at WEEI just don't get it. They correctly claim that BB loves to defer because he wants the ball to start the 2nd half. But then they add on that he also wants to have the wind in Q2 and Q4. However, by rule, if you choose to defer, the other team gets to decide the sides. So their logic is screwed up.

just out of curiosity, can someone say exactly how the coin flip works in the NFL. After the visiting team calls the flip, the coin flip winner gets to choose either kick or receive? Or could the winner choose sides? In the case of the latter, does then the other team choose kick or receive?

The guys on in the morning at WEEI just don't get it. They correctly claim that BB loves to defer because he wants the ball to start the 2nd half. But then they add on that he also wants to have the wind in Q2 and Q4. However, by rule, if you choose to defer, the other team gets to decide the sides. So their logic is screwed up.

I Was always under impression that if a team elects to receive then opposing team has right to kick off in whatever direction they choose.

You get the right to choose whatever you want or defer that choice until the second half. Usually the team with the choice will choose the ball, but if there were extreme circumstances, like hurricane force winds for example, they could chose which direction they want to go.

Oh Pats will deffer and the Ravens will deffer

Look, you make the choice based on your stength...if I am the ravens, I am deferring, if I am NE, I want that ball...

The winner of the coin toss gets to choose one of three things:
(A) Kick or receive
(B) Which goal to defend in the first quarter of the half
(C) Defer the choice until the second half, give the coin toss loser the choice of (A) or (B)

Once one team has made a choice from (A) or (B), the other team gets the remaining choice (i.e., DEN won coin toss, deferred decision; therefore NE chose to receive kickoff, and DEN chose which goal to defend in Q1).

When the Pats win the coin toss, they defer. Thus, almost invariably the other team chooses to kick, which gives the Pats the choice of goals . . . which means they can choose to have the wind at TFB's back in Q2.

The winner of the coin toss gets to choose one of three things:
(A) Kick or receive
(B) Which goal to defend in the first quarter of the half
(C) Defer the choice until the second half, give the coin toss loser the choice of (A) or (B)

Once one team has made a choice from (A) or (B), the other team gets the remaining choice (i.e., DEN won coin toss, deferred decision; therefore NE chose to receive kickoff, and DEN chose which goal to defend in Q1).

When the Pats win the coin toss, they defer. Thus, almost invariably the other team chooses to kick, which gives the Pats the choice of goals . . . which means they can choose to have the wind at TFB's back in Q2.

any stats on the pats deferring to receiving ratio?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes