PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Coin Toss in OT ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

abdul7

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Be honest,,,,who wanted to win the coin toss and receive in OT ? I bet most did ,,yeah ?
Well i didnt ! It was clear by that point that our young Defense were in the groove and were just fine. I was more worried about the wind and by losing the coin toss we got the wind behind us,,which helped on 2 punts during the overtime quarter. By the way,,who else had a near heart attack on the FG that tied us 20-20 ??!!! I swear it looked close with that cross wind ! Ghost needed that winning kick to get his confidence right back to where it should be now for the rest of the season. Great game,,Great result. GO PATS. Abdul

Be honest,,,,who wanted to win the coin toss and receive in OT ? I bet most did ,,yeah ?
Well i didnt ! It was clear by that point that our young Defense were in the groove and were just fine. I was more worried about the wind and by losing the coin toss we got the wind behind us,,which helped on 2 punts during the overtime quarter. By the way,,who else had a near heart attack on the FG that tied us 20-20 ??!!! I swear it looked close with that cross wind ! Ghost needed that winning kick to get his confidence right back to where it should be now for the rest of the season. Great game,,Great result. GO PATS. Abdul

You are full of crap

Yes I wanted them to win the coin toss in OT, because is they hit a TD and then any stop on D and the game is over.

Shoot! I wanted them to give Gostowski a shot at the FG in regulation. I know it is risky for being blocked, but he is knocking KOs out of the endzone for Pete's sake!

I can't think of a scenario where I would ever want to lose the flip in OT. Especially with Tate returning the ball.

Last edited:
Well, considering I screamed an F-Bomb at the top of my lungs when we lost I'd say I think I may have wanted to win the toss.

But I will say I did realize later the wind was a nice thing to have.

^^
Same here.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the third time in a row where we've lost the goddamned coin toss in overtime?

1. Jets in 2008
2. Broncos in 2009
3. Ravens in 2010

-Jamman

I thought we were sunk when Baltimore won the toss. :(

I have to disagree. Even though it turned out well in the end, I prefer to have Tom Brady with the ball than this young D. These guys are not Tedi, Vrable, Big Sey et al yet, and I would prefer the rock in the hands of TFB.

I thought we were sunk when Baltimore won the toss. :(

Me too. I also was hoping for a FG try at the end of regulation, although I can see the wisdom of not doing it (but not so much a few minutes later when we lost the toss).

Did anyone else think Brady should have tried to run for the 1st down on our FG to tie in the 4th? He looked all mixed up and hesitant back there (now Branch has admitted he read Brady wrong and was blocking like it was a run instead of being where Brady thought he would be). There was a few second window there where Brady had a clear lane, and then a Ravens player ran up and filled in the lane.

^^
Same here.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the third time in a row where we've lost the goddamned coin toss in overtime?

1. Jets in 2008
2. Broncos in 2009
3. Ravens in 2010

-Jamman

I sat there muttering to myself, "We never win the toss...we never win the toss..."

We never win the freakin' toss when we have to.

It's probably happened before or since, but the only time I can recall a team winning the coin toss and not electing to receive in overtime was Tampa Bay against the Pats in the mid-80's; it may have been the year after the Super Bowl loss to the Bears. I think the score was 7-7 or 10-10 on a very cold day. Bucs win the toss and elect to kickoff; Pats have a medium length drive, nothing special, and kick a field goal to win the game with Tampa Bay never getting their hands on the ball in OT. If I'm not mistaken that may have been the final straw that led to Ray Perkins being fired at the end of that season; his logic that his team would get the ball back in better field position after a punt (that never happened) than they would have had on the kickoff backfired.

Last edited:

Wow, delusional much? Hey! They played 1 decent quarter out of 4! That is plenty of juice to fill up my homercycle and drive home in OT!
Come on man, specially the way it was back and forth and back and forth during OT? NO ONE, not a single human being in the world, expected our defense to somehow magically shut down the Ravens offense what, 5 drives in a row to win the game???
We all saw it happening through our homervision glasses, but realistically? I figured we'd come back after halftime, even after the 3rd quarter, we had time. But with OT rules as they are, and losing the toss? No. You are a dirty liar sir.

It's probably happened before or since, but the only time I can recall a team winning the coin toss and not electing to receive in overtime was Tampa Bay against the Pats in the mid-80's;

The most famous time was in the 1962 AFL Championship game between the Houston Oilers and the Dallas Texans (who became the Kansas City Chiefs the next season.) Dallas won the toss but their team captain gave the wrong signal or something to the ref, so they got stuck kicking, and kicking into the wind on top of it. They still won the game though.

I wanted to win the toss.

Even where a team doesn't score on the first possession, it is always one possession up. So, if the team that loses the toss doesn't score in their first possess, they are down 2 possessions to 1.

Also, in multiple possession overtimes, the team that wins is often the one that can change field position. The more possessions, the better chance you have of doing that. Even if you don't score, so long as you can get a couple of first downs, the other team is often on its heels.

Baltimore tilted field position severely in its second possession. Usually, when you punt from the 16, you're hoping the other team will just get it somewhere on their half of the field. 65 yard punts can't be counted on. So, I'll take winning the toss.

I am sorry that someone here thinks that I am dirty liar ! But to you sir , that was just how I felt ,,with the wind and Ghost , I just thought it would give us the best chance. I was maybe just very confident of the D, but that really was my feeling. Why should I be a liar if one is just confident that they could put one stop in overtime. Wasn't expecting to play so deep in OT ! No hard feelings my friend, but I love this Defense. Main worry is CB play of Arrington . San Diego here we come. Abdul

I don't think you're a liar, I just disagree with you. ;)

On a related note, it's been a bad year for the people who are always whining about a "coin toss deciding the outcome of a game."

Teams that have won the OT coin toss are 3-3 this year, and both teams have had a chance to possess the ball in all 6 games. But hey, Brett Favre never got a chance to throw an INT in last year's NFCCG so we need a rule change! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
The most famous time was in the 1962 AFL Championship game between the Houston Oilers and the Dallas Texans (who became the Kansas City Chiefs the next season.) Dallas won the toss but their team captain gave the wrong signal or something to the ref, so they got stuck kicking, and kicking into the wind on top of it. They still won the game though.
Good catch! I knew there was a famous (infamous?) incorrect decision involving the coin toss, but I couldn't remember it.

The captain (Abner Haynes, I think?) had instructions from his coach to go with the wind rather than choosing to receive the kickoff. But instead of just saying which end of the field they wanted to defend, he tried to explain it a little bit, and it ended up that he said 'we want to kickoff' or something to that effect. So after choosing to kickoff the other team that had lost the coin toss then had their choice of which side of the field, and they took the wind at their backs. Net result was that the team that lost the coin toss received the kickoff AND had the wind.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye