PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cobbs traded to Steelers - Beisel, C. Brown, Mincey, Warfield, 6 others released

Status
Not open for further replies.
patchick said:
I'd just like to point out that these cuts all confirm that this board, collectively, does a pretty darn good job of analyzing what can be seen of the players in camp and on the field.

Consensus was that Warfield, the "proven vet," showed nothing in camp.

Consensus was that Woods, the UDFA, had outplayed draft pick Mincey.

Consensus was that Cobbs, the UDFA, had shown enough that he wouldn't clear waivers to the practice squad.

Consensus was that Beisel totally sucked.

Here's to you, PatsFans.com!

Patchick's posts are unfailingly sharp and clear.
A few days ago i took silent note when she first made this point.

That is strange, isn't it? A bunch of enthusiasts ... none of whom are paid to do this ...
using only publicly available information ... and almost all of whom, individually, seem to be wrong
far more often than we are right ...
still form composite, collective judgments and forecasts which
... at least in the instances cited, seem to track the professional judgments
of the best minds in football ...
operating with access to the most complete insider information.

I'm getting out of my depth here, but this points to a strength of distributed processing ...
perhaps of neural networks ...
where the whole can be greater than the sum of the parts.

Better formed views are welcome!

Julius said:
... We need to pull a trade with Hill or Klecko for draft picks because both will not make the team. My preference is to lose Hill. The guy is too lethargic and we are too deep to have a use for him.

That's it !
I've been wondering how to best characterize Hill's shortcomings.

But whenever he is shown playing ... or on the sidelines ... he appears lethargic ... doesn't he?

What's with all the Man-Boy-Mincey Love on this thread ?

The guy did nothing to get noticed the hole preseason and was nothing but hype. He was a 7th round pick. Pierre Woods is twice the player Mincey is, an he will probably make the team.

I believe Hill is on medication for a bi-polar condition. His lethargic state may have something to do with this. This is probably preferable to a Alonzo Spellman situation.

Oswlek said:
(Sniff)

Hopefully Mincey m... m....makes it to the p...practice squad.

(Wipes tears away)

I think so. We'll see him again (and some of the others, too.)

And to Flutie2Phelan, yes, isn't there some name for that phenomenon like "group intelligence"? I know I've heard of it. Ask 20 people to guess my weight, average the guesses, and it'll be real close.

Last edited:
Bye bye Beisel, I was hoping last year was an abberation, but the second Gardner went down last night, my biggest fear was keeping Beisel. How bad had Beisel have to be to get cut even with the injuries we have at LB? Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Mincey should make it to the PS. I think he could be a good long term project, but Woods has outplayed him for sure and now is a lock for the 53 in my opinion.

The Cobbs trade, I like it. As pointed out, as of now we do have very good depth at back, Dillon, LoMo and Faulk with Evans and the 2 draft picks who might play the H-Back role. Cobbs could have been a player, but chances are we would have cut him and no way would he have made it to the PS, and even if he did, I bet he would be signed off of it rather quickly.

Re: Cobbs traded to Steelers, Beisel and 9 others released

SoonerPatriot said:
According to DaBruinz Beisel is just misunderstood.

Unlike other posters, I can admit I was wrong about Beisel and did so.

stcjones said:
Why do I think that this move (getting rid of Cobbs) will come back to haunt us? I think the kid had something......we shall see.....

The AP has an article on Cobbs. The Steelers had been looking for a backup RB after poor performance from Staley, who averaged only 2 yards in a lot of carries against the Panthers:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-patriots-steelerstrade&prov=ap&type=lgns

The Steelers possibly made a decent offer for Cobbs because they were getting desperate.

Last edited:

lobster said:
The AP has an article on Cobbs. The Steelers had been looking for a backup RB after poor performance from Staley, who averaged only 2 yards in a lot of carries against the Panthers (I recall Dillon didn't do much better last season against the Panthers):
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-patriots-steelerstrade&prov=ap&type=lgns

The Steelers possibly made a decent offer for Cobbs because they were getting desperate.
He and Mean Joe Green share the same alma mater too.

mcdonut16 said:
What's with all the Man-Boy-Mincey Love on this thread ?

The guy did nothing to get noticed the hole preseason and was nothing but hype. He was a 7th round pick. Pierre Woods is twice the player Mincey is, an he will probably make the team.

Easy, big fella. It's nice to see Woods doing a nice job in camp, but I think it's a bit much to say that Mincey "did nothing." I watched him in a couple games and he did okay, so-so on contain, had a sack, got some push. Tedy Bruschi took 3 years to learn to play LB, I think we'll give this kid, p.s.-bound, more than one off-season.

Woods is TWICE the player Mincey is? Really? TWICE? Calm down. Take a breath. Let's see how the practice squad stuff falls out.

Box_O_Rocks said:
He and Mean Joe Green share the same alma mater too.

I had to look up who he was -

Greene (DT) was a cornerstone of the Steel Curtain defense that won four Super Bowls in the 1970's. Greene was twice named NFL Defensive Player of the Year(1972, 1974), played in 10 Pro Bowls, and was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1987. In 2004 he was named the special assistant for player personnel for the Steelers.

lobster said:
The AP has an article on Cobbs. The Steelers had been looking for a backup RB after poor performance from Staley, who averaged only 2 yards in a lot of carries against the Panthers:

It's nonetheless an interesting choice for the Steelers. They have preferred a power running game - 4 yards and a cloud of dust - and have had solid success with that. Parker is not really that mold and Cobbs isn't either to my perception. Are the Steelers changing their running scheme ? Will they be successful doing that ? Very interesting.

lobster said:
I had to look up who he was -
In 2004 he was named the special assistant for player personnel for the Steelers.

I'm not going to start a conspiracy, but Mean Joe comes back to campus fairly frequently and watched Cobbs play and practice more than a few times in the last 4 years. From that and his preseason performance it makes you wonder if he had something to do with Cobbs being grabbed by the Steelers.

For you older guys you will remember Mean Joe from the coca-cola commercial in the 70s.

Last edited:
arrellbee said:
Pardon me, but I don't remember much consensus a few weeks ago. I remember getting pretty much dumped on for just providing some analysis on Beisel's performance in the last couple games last year and the first preseason game this year WITHOUT even expressing an opinion about Beisel - altho apparently trying to provide information is, in some folks minds, expressing an opinion. I don't remember you coming to my defense at the time. I think I could also go back and find the great majority of 53 rosters that had Beisel making the roster and even, before Seau showed up, actually starting alongside Bruschi.

But maybe my memory is faulty ......

Yes Yes Yes.. I remember you had a great thread.. Actually bumped it a few days ago and the complainers came out.> Funny how half the 2000+ poster people here hate to see ideas they had come back to bit them :) Between Beisel lack of playing time and the continued issues of him having issues adapting to this defense, it was obvious his days were numbered..
Its good to see people say " I was wrong " but at the same time people took the position personal and that is why the discussion got really out of hand..
Take interests not positions.. Saves a lot of headaches..

Last edited:
I didn't take Beisel off my 53-man until just before the Redskins game. By that time, Gardner was taking the snaps in a 4-3, and Beisel was no where to be seen. The writing was on the wall.

Just this past week, I was considering re-inserting him onto the 53-man after Gardner was carted off the field.

Dear god, wherefor art thy linebackers.

arrellbee said:
Pardon me, but I don't remember much consensus a few weeks ago. I remember getting pretty much dumped on for just providing some analysis on Beisel's performance in the last couple games last year and the first preseason game this year WITHOUT even expressing an opinion about Beisel - altho apparently trying to provide information is, in some folks minds, expressing an opinion. I don't remember you coming to my defense at the time. I think I could also go back and find the great majority of 53 rosters that had Beisel making the roster and even, before Seau showed up, actually starting alongside Bruschi.

But maybe my memory is faulty ......

Yep, your memory is faulty! I never even read that thread from July, so I wanted to see why you complained that I didn't "come to your defense" when you got "dumped on." So I went back and looked it over. In fact, most of the posters supported your conclusions and even thanked you for your post. And nobody claimed that Beisel was anything but lousy last year. A minority (politely) offered hope that his poor performance was do to inexperience and/or injuries and that he might improve this year. As soon as he hit the field, though, there was general agreement that he looked as bad as ever, or mainly worse. After Gardner's injury you heard people saying "please tell me this doesn't mean Beisel makes the team!"

p.s. to soothe your spirits, here are some of the responses from that old thread :

"Keep up this kind of dogged pursuit of the facts, a-bee.
Even if you're not entirely correct, your readers will end up knowing more than we started with.
If you are correct ... we might surmise why
Mincey and Roach make the 53 ... ahead of Beisel."

"Interesting thread, Arrellbee. Nice break down of the Jags game.
I think that the injury made a difference last year, when you consider that Beisel had to go to the hospital for a serious infection in his hand right before the Denver game.
But he will need to improve if he is going to be counted on this year."

"I share your scepticism, Arrellbee. What BB didn't say: he's tough, committed and has excellent technique.
I hope that we're proved wrong."

meangreenfan said:
I'm not going to start a conspiracy, but Mean Joe comes back to campus fairly frequently and watched Cobbs play and practice more than a few times in the last 4 years. From that and his preseason performance it makes you wonder if he had something to do with Cobbs being grabbed by the Steelers.

For you older guys you will remember Mean Joe from the coca-cola commercial in the 70s.
:rofl: Ouch, the arthritis! :rofl: This crickety young fellow remembers him from that huge pile of bodies on the field. You whippersnappers can catch his Coca-Cola commercial on TV-Land.

Certainly there is no conspiracy, I would expect that Pittsburgh had a scouting report on Cobbs, but had different priorities last spring. Now they need a RB and they have game film on him working against professional competition in a pro-style offense, that makes a big difference when it comes to assessing a player's ability. You can now see that he is a decent receiver out of the backfield and hasn't done that badly picking up blitzs (think Ravens and Bengals and Browns - Red Dog!).

Staley seems to be going downhill fast, and he was never a Jerome Bettis. If your feature back is now more of the quick and speedy type, get a back-up who doesn't disrupt the line's timing that much. There will be plenty of 3 yd and a cloud of dust candidates showing up on the waiver wire.

I thought you were heading back to Texas to throw darts at TO (I love how you gentle fellows from the southern plains don't mind saving on the dart board if the buttocks of the original problem are handy)? Not that your not welcome to enjoy the fall and the leaves with us, just an inquiry as I tuck my wrap around my legs in the rocker. :)

Well much as I like Cobbs game I think at least getting a draft pick for him is a positive as he was really on the bubble of making this team. Hopefully the Pats don't regret this move too much down the road. Pitt just needed depth at RB and the Pats had too much. Guess BB is happy enough with Maroney and Evans backing up our main backs Dillon and Faulk.

Warfield getting cut is a little of a suprise. Beisel getting cut... not really.

I just got back from China late last night so please forgive me if this has already been discussed, but does Beisel getting cut bode well for Tedy's quick and healthy return? I mean, even Beisel is better than NO ONE, right? That was my first thought.

Patjew said:
I just got back from China late last night so please forgive me if this has already been discussed, but does Beisel getting cut bode well for Tedy's quick and healthy return? I mean, even Beisel is better than NO ONE, right? That was my first thought.
Word has been that Bruschi still plans to play week one. But you're a Patriots fan so you know how it is with injuries :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes