PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cobbs traded to Steelers - Beisel, C. Brown, Mincey, Warfield, 6 others released

Status
Not open for further replies.
scott99 said:
Call me the voice of reason, but I don't understand the Cobbs and Branch moves (or in Branch's case, non move). I can't help but question Bioli/Belichick's moves lately. The only good that can come from the Cobbs move, is that it tells us that maybe Maroney's injury isnt that bad. I really wish they kept Cobbs, I bet he becomes Pittsburgh's Kevin Faulk now, and the move comes back to f*ck us in the playoffs or something. I really need some koolaid, cause I don't understand this one.
they picked up a player from the street played him in 4 preseason games against other 2nd stringers and got a pick for him. i think its great. he can be like faulk or maybe not but they couldnt have carried 4 backs and the fullback garrett mills so they traded and got a pick instead of just cutting him.iam sure patrick pass will be gone too.

scott99 said:
Call me the voice of reason, but I don't understand the Cobbs and Branch moves (or in Branch's case, non move). I can't help but question Bioli/Belichick's moves lately. The only good that can come from the Cobbs move, is that it tells us that maybe Maroney's injury isnt that bad. I really wish they kept Cobbs, I bet he becomes Pittsburgh's Kevin Faulk now, and the move comes back to f*ck us in the playoffs or something. I really need some koolaid, cause I don't understand this one.

Cobbs wasn't going to make the team anyway.

Finally we can get away from the Cobbs-hype.

Bumping up the news...

Well, this is good news. If Mahoney was hurt that badly I think they would have kept Cobbs around.

scott99 said:

I'm not sure the voice of "reason" is appropriate, maybe the voice of skepticism?

Considering Dillon, Faulk and Maroney were in front of him, and Pass/Evans will likely take another spot, where would Cobbs have fit in. I said this before after his big showing in the Washington game, Cobbs was strictly a quick tailback, of which NE has two, Maroney and Faulk. For team purposes, if they were to keep a 4th RB, it needed to be another bruiser in case Dillon goes down. Not only that, but Cobbs has virtually no abilities as a lead blocker. Evans, even though he is a little below average, at least has the ability to help in this area.

Take another step back and look at the bigger picture. Last year they had two guys that fans wanted to keep at the RB position. So there is precedent that someone of Cobbs' ability will be there next year, when the roster spot could open up.

All that said, how can it not help your team when you can get a draft pick for a guy that was likely to have little to no impact on your team this year, if he made the team at all. Especially considering he was an UDFA.

I would have liked to see how good Cobbs can be, but let's calm down about this issue a little.

Sucks about Gardner, I was hoping he'd make the team, but after seeing the injury I could see the concern. A shame that Mincey is gone, and I'm thrilled that Beisel is gone. I did think after the playoffs that Beisel was done as a Patriot. He's just not a good fit, and as others have already said, he really sucks if he can't make the squad at a position of need.

I'd just like to point out that these cuts all confirm that this board, collectively, does a pretty darn good job of analyzing what can be seen of the players in camp and on the field.

Consensus was that Warfield, the "proven vet," showed nothing in camp.

Consensus was that Woods, the UDFA, had outplayed draft pick Mincey.

Consensus was that Cobbs, the UDFA, had shown enough that he wouldn't clear waivers to the practice squad.

Consensus was that Beisel totally sucked.

Here's to you, PatsFans.com!

patchick said:
I'd just like to point out that these cuts all confirm that this board, collectively, does a pretty darn good job of analyzing what can be seen of the players in camp and on the field.

Consensus was that Warfield, the "proven vet," showed nothing in camp.

Consensus was that Woods, the UDFA, had outplayed draft pick Mincey.

Consensus was that Cobbs, the UDFA, had shown enough that he wouldn't clear waivers to the practice squad.

Here's to you, PatsFans.com!

And the consensus is that Mincey will end up on the PS so we'll see what happens there.

patchick said:
Pardon me, but I don't remember much consensus a few weeks ago. I remember getting pretty much dumped on for just providing some analysis on Beisel's performance in the last couple games last year and the first preseason game this year WITHOUT even expressing an opinion about Beisel - altho apparently trying to provide information is, in some folks minds, expressing an opinion. I don't remember you coming to my defense at the time. I think I could also go back and find the great majority of 53 rosters that had Beisel making the roster and even, before Seau showed up, actually starting alongside Bruschi.

But maybe my memory is faulty ......

pats1 said:
Cobbs wasn't going to make the team anyway.

Finally we can get away from the Cobbs-hype.

Bah, humbug, pats1! :rolleyes:

A kid from a small school with mediocre athletic statistics but a dedicated personality comes in for a try-out and does well enough to get a roster spot on a very successful NFL franchise.

How isn't that a heart-warming story?

The only disadvantage is that our friend from the Mean Green is going to migrate to the Steelers. meangreenfan, if my one foray onto a Steelers board and the disgusting trolls who have infested this one from time to time are anything to go by, this might not be a very good move ...

Mike the Brit said:
Bah, humbug, pats1! :rolleyes:

A kid from a small school with mediocre athletic statistics but a dedicated personality comes in for a try-out and does well enough to get a roster spot on a very successful NFL franchise.

How isn't that a heart-warming story?

The only disadvantage is that our friend from the Mean Green is going to migrate to the Steelers. meangreenfan, if my one foray onto a Steelers board and the disgusting trolls who have infested this one from time to time are anything to go by, this might not be a very good move ...

A cold heart like mine never warms.

Mincey to p.s. for sure - part of why he got cut today. Let him get lost in the shuffle, too many teams making too many moves to figure out if they want him or not. Hopefully he clears waivers.

Re: Cobbs traded to Steelers, Beisel and 9 others released

Kdo5 said:
WOW NICE. We got rid of the fumbler for a draft pick!

Why do I think that this move (getting rid of Cobbs) will come back to haunt us? I think the kid had something......we shall see.....

desi-patsfan said:
Yea, cobbs can nicely fumble the ball to the Pats in the playoffs.

dude.....Kevin Faulk is the fumble king of all time on the Pats....but he makes this team....please don't f' Cobbs for one fumble.....I see this trade coming back to haunt us.....Cobbs was getting all kinds of talk for the first 3 preseason games,.....he has ONE fumble.....and all of a sudden he becomes.....the fumbler....and thank gawd he is gone....can't figure out some of you guys,......one man's opinion.....

stcjones said:
dude.....Kevin Faulk is the fumble king of all time on the Pats....but he makes this team....please don't f' Cobbs for one fumble.....I see this trade coming back to haunt us.....Cobbs was getting all kinds of talk for the first 3 preseason games,.....he has ONE fumble.....and all of a sudden he becomes.....the fumbler....and thank gawd he is gone....can't figure out some of you guys,......one man's opinion.....

Cobbs: Two fumbles in less than 60 carries

First off I'm thrilled I don't have to watch Monty Beisal or Chad Brown play football for the Patriots. Losing Gardner sucks since he was showing some progress as a middle linebacker. I'm happy Woods is still kicking he looks to have some upside. We need to pull a trade with Hill or Klecko for draft picks because both will not make the team. My preferance is to lose Hill. The guy is too lethargic and we are to deep to have a use for him.

Julius said:
First off I'm thrilled I don't have to watch Monty Beisal or Chad Brown play football for the Patriots. Losing Gardner sucks since he was showing some progress as a middle linebacker. I'm happy Woods is still kicking he looks to have some upside. We need to pull a trade with Hill or Klecko for draft picks because both will not make the team. My preferance is to lose Hill. The guy is too lethargic and we are to deep to have a use for him.

Don't they use Hill in goal line or short yardage move the pile situations? When he's active?

How frequently has he been active for games? Is there a good place to look that up quickly?

Dragda said:
Don't they use Hill in goal line or short yardage move the pile situations? When he's active?

How frequently has he been active for games? Is there a good place to look that up quickly?

For the first question - yes - goal line.

And for the second question:

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/492960

The number of games played is how many times he was active.

Between Wight and Sullivan Hill's goaline days are over.

Julius said:
Between Wight and Sullivan Hill's goaline days are over.

Wright played the nose on goal line situations. Hill played DE. They can co-exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back