PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cobbs refuses to sign with Steelers's practice squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianPat

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
I thought this forum would find this interesting !!

Steelers | Cobbs refuses to sign with team's practice squad
Mon, 11 Sep 2006 22:39:41 -0700

Ed Bouchette, of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, reports free agent RB Patrick Cobbs (Steelers) refused to sign with the Pittsburgh Steelers' practice squad after clearing waivers. Cobbs is expected to sign with another team's practice squad.

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

I wonder why

BrianPat said:
I thought this forum would find this interesting !!

Steelers | Cobbs refuses to sign with team's practice squad
Mon, 11 Sep 2006 22:39:41 -0700

Ed Bouchette, of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, reports free agent RB Patrick Cobbs (Steelers) refused to sign with the Pittsburgh Steelers' practice squad after clearing waivers. Cobbs is expected to sign with another team's practice squad.

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

Wow. I didn't know that he even had a choice. :eek:

Over here! Over here!! Here we are, Patrick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I dont know its exactly the Patriots. Broncos might give him a call. Seriously.

Bring him home Baby!!!!

You have to wonder what the Steeler's locker room was like for him.

What shmessy said - over here!

wow, that is interesting. I'd love to see him come back here. I'm not sure why he wouldn't sign with the Steelers, but I wonder if it was about getting the chance to play? If that's the case, I'm not sure he'd come back here; our backfield looks pretty solid.

shmessy said:
Over here! Over here!! Here we are, Patrick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YES!!!! Come on Patrick, we know we want you on that wall! (channeling Nickelson here)

jefmblrd said:
wow, that is interesting. I'd love to see him come back here. I'm not sure why he wouldn't sign with the Steelers, but I wonder if it was about getting the chance to play? If that's the case, I'm not sure he'd come back here; our backfield looks pretty solid.

Is there word on if Faulk was hurt on that Touchdown pass?

I find it interesting that he got through waivers. Every team, including the Pats, had to pass on him before he the Steelers could make that offer.

dryheat44 said:
Is there word on if Faulk was hurt on that Touchdown pass?

I find it interesting that he got through waivers. Every team, including the Pats, had to pass on him before he the Steelers could make that offer.
I believe claiming him off waivers meant he was brought in on the roster, then he would just have to be waived again to get him to the Practice Squad.

Box_O_Rocks said:
I believe claiming him off waivers meant he was brought in on the roster, then he would just have to be waived again to get him to the Practice Squad.

I don't find any reference to waivers in the CBA re: practice squads. A player can always be claimed from the taxi squad but must be put on 53 for at least 3 weeks.

Maybe the Dolphins or Colts are looking at him. Their run games look pathetic.

I might be mistaken but I think there's nothing preventing players on the practice squad from negotiating salaries in excess of the minimum amount... basically allowing them to get a guaranteed bonus for signing with whatever team's practice squad.

Given his pre-season production it wouldn't surprise me if Cobbs' agent is working to secure a hundred thousand or so guaranteed.

None of that would chagne his status or prevent a team from signing him to the 53 man roster, but that would explain why a player like Cobbs is still not on a PS roster at the very least

Box_O_Rocks said:
I believe that is the case. A waiver claim signs the guy to the 53 roster but probably doesn't carry any requirement to keep him for any particular number of weeks.

braveht said:
I don't find any reference to waivers in the CBA re: practice squads. A player can always be claimed from the taxi squad but must be put on 53 for at least 3 weeks.
A player signed from another team's practice squad must be put on your active roster for 3 weeks.

I believe that players always have a choice to refuse an offer to go on a practice squad. I also believe that a player has a choice to remain on a practice squad rather than accept an offer to go onto another team's active roster.

I believe we only have 7 players on our practice squad right now. I don't happen to know if Jonathon Smith is eligible for practice squad or not.

Last edited:
SeanBruschi54 said:
I dont know its exactly the Patriots. Broncos might give him a call. Seriously.

Bell & Bell, Cobbs & Cobbs... I find this very interesting and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

I want Cobbs back! Pay the man a little extra and sign him to our PS!! Faulk isn't exactly Mr. durability.

Patrick is just trying to gamble here. When the Steelers signed Najeh "Scatback, LOL" Davenport and cut him it becomes apparent that with 4 other backs on the depth chart ahead of him he won't get much chance at playing time.

So why come to NE where he'll have the same thing? I expect he'll sign on another team's PS.

He should head over to the Texans. I think they could use a good RB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back