PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cobbs cut, Davenport signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isaac

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Per sirius radio, the Steelers have signed Najeh Davenport and released Patrick Cobbs. I hope that conditional pick was dependent on being on the roster for week one!

Last edited:
Isaac said:
Per sirius radio, the Steelers have signed Najay Davenport and released Patrick Cobbs. I hope that conditional pick was dependent on being on the roster for week one!

Get him NOW on our PS.

Isaac said:
Per sirius radio, the Steelers have signed Najay Davenport and released Patrick Cobbs. I hope that conditional pick was dependent on being on the roster for week one!

Probably not. Bring him back to our practice squad.

dang, just picked him up in fantasy, because Davenport had been cut by the Pack...hope he lands elsewhere, like our practice squad...

We need to get him back before the Colts make him their starter over Addai.

Re: Steelers cut Cobbs

Do the Patriots still get the pick? He was on the opening day roster, right.

shmessy said:
Get him NOW on our PS.
Oooops. Our practice squad is full right now - no room.

Very good pickup for Pittsburgh, IMO.

Willie Parker is *not* a feature back. Yes, he'll start finding holes and getting some nice gains later in the game when the D-line is worn out, but he gets stuffed at the line or tackled for loss FAR too often early one.

Last season, I believe he had the highest differential in yards per game vs. above average and below average defenses. When the Pitt oline can manhandle the opposing front 7, he'll rip off big gains. When they can't, he is NOT the kind of back that Pitt needs, who can plow into the line and pick up tought yards and move the chains.

Najeh Davenport has had a few good years as a change of pace power-back, and I think he can have similar success behind Pitts' runblocking oline. If used correctly, I think Davenport and Parker can complement each other well.

Re: Steelers cut Cobbs

Not sure. I know the pick was conditional. Sometimes that is the difference between a 6th round and 7th rund. Sometimes it's a pick or nothing, especially if the guy never plays.

maverick4 said:
We need to get him back before the Colts make him their starter over Addai.

Actually Miami might want him, as pitiful as their running game looked last night....

Pat_Nasty said:
Willie Parker is *not* a feature back. Yes, he'll start finding holes and getting some nice gains later in the game when the D-line is worn out, but he gets stuffed at the line or tackled for loss FAR too often early one.

Last season, I believe he had the highest differential in yards per game vs. above average and below average defenses. When the Pitt oline can manhandle the opposing front 7, he'll rip off big gains. When they can't, he is NOT the kind of back that Pitt needs, who can plow into the line and pick up tought yards and move the chains.
They may be trying early on, if it doesn't cost them a game, to try to establish that teams need to at least respect him running inside. If they can do that, it will keep defenses from playing him only for outside runs. While the Steelers have had tandem backs in the past, they were pretty much specialized and defenses could be set depending on which back was in.

Pat the Pats Fan said:
Actually Miami might want him, as pitiful as their running game looked last night....

Why, can he play offensive guard?

Pat the Pats Fan said:

What's ailing Miami's running game AIN'T the RB. It's the OL. Ronnie Brown did the best he could with nowhere to run last night.

He won't get past the Jets, and who would we cut to bring him back?

I guess the Steelers agreed with my assessment from earlier:

I can't see Parker holding up over the course of the season if they are going to run him between the tackles 10-15 time a game. Hell, he didn't really hold up last year when he wasn't even coming close to that. People have been saying that they would like to see how Roth will do when winning or losing is on his shoulders. Well, I think we're all going to find out this year.

Chalk one up for me! :rocker: :singing: :rocker:

patsox23 said:
What's ailing Miami's running game AIN'T the RB. It's the OL. Ronnie Brown did the best he could with nowhere to run last night.

Miami has trash behind Brown. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him get claimed by them.

DefenseRules said:
He won't get past the Jets, and who would we cut to bring him back?

I don't think this is a waiver situation. He can sign with whoever he wants.

braveht said:
I don't think this is a waiver situation. He can sign with whoever he wants.

Really? I didn't know that. I thought that he had to clear waivers first.

patsox23 said:
Ronnie's one of the best young RB out there - he may get beaten up before his time behind that line though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back