Welcome to PatsFans.com

Coakley made deal in 1995 priest case

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +313 / 4 / -2

How could anyone vote for this db? :mad:

Home /News /Politics

Coakley made deal in 1995 priest case

Did not prosecute in boys’ complaint

[​IMG]
    "I agonized over every one of those cases," said Martha Coakley of her work as head of the Child Abuse Prosecution Unit (Matthew J. Lee/ Globe Staff)

By Michael Rezendes
    Globe Staff / November 23, 2009

When Martha Coakley was the Middlesex district attorney, her office prosecuted the Rev. John J. Geoghan based on an allegation that he squeezed the buttocks of a 10-year-old boy a single time at a public swimming pool. The highly publicized 2002 conviction won Coakley widespread praise for bringing the first successful criminal case against the widely accused pedophile, a priest many had called “Father Jack.’’

Senate race coverage But seven years earlier, Coakley, then the head of the Middlesex child abuse unit, had Geoghan in her sights and took a dramatically different approach. Back then, three grade-school brothers told investigators that Geoghan had inappropriately touched them during numerous visits to their Waltham home, and had made lewd telephone calls to them. Rather than prosecute, Coakley agreed to grant Geoghan a year of probation in a closed-door proceeding that received no media attention at all.

Because of the deal, Geoghan faced no formal charges and no criminal record.

Coakley details her role in 1995 probation deal for Geoghan - The Boston Globe
  2. Real World

Ratings:
    +313 / 4 / -2

What a lying POS scumbag. She lets the guy walk basically, without any public knowledge of the crime, and then lies through her teeth about the circumstances surrounding her decision.

What a lying POS db. She sent this animal back into the farm to rape more kids, and she has the nerve to say she handled it appropriately. She never even pushed the church about the loser kiddie didler, even though the church had a dossier on the guy. I've said it from day one, when this kiddie didler BS became news, that all of the priests, or members of the archdiocese that knew about this (that you you Bernard Law!), should be in jail.

3. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +360 / 8 / -3

#11 Jersey

Just last night in another thread, you scorned information I supplied (at your own request) regarding recent arrests and/or convictions for hate crimes by militia-type groups or organizations. Your !, your sheesh and your :rolleyes: pretty clearly state that you felt it was old and outdated information and therefore not at all relevant to anything in today's world. (Even tho my information spanned from 1995 to 2009.)

Your exact words were

Why is that 1995 any different or any less current than this 1995?

Do you even think about other things you may have said or are you only capable of entertaining one thought at a time?
  4. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +354 / 1 / -9

All politicians are "Scum" hold your nose when you vote and try to pick the least scummiest, how any decent person can go out in public and Fawn over these filthy people is beyond me.

YES, that includes Sarah, right now I consider her the best of the Tribe Of Politician Swine, but she is one of them.....
  5. Real World

Ratings:
    +313 / 4 / -2

Are you a moron, or just looking for your baseball? This woman is currently running for the US Senate. Hello, Mcfly, hello?!? The crux of the point in the other thread (thanks for hijacking this one btw) was that the "militias" were becoming a threat suddenly. That only recently, they were beginning to grow. Why? Because a black guy was now president. Yet, you went ahead and posted "proof" that lists 75 incidents of arrest, since 1995! :rolleyes: Yeah, that's recent alright, and certainly supports the notion that there is problem with militias relating to Obama. :rolleyes:
  6. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +360 / 8 / -3

#11 Jersey

And a child molestation case which was plea-barginned rather than taken to to court in 1995 - before the church broke down and released any records, before there was wide-spread knowledge or acknowledgment of child molestation by catholic priests and before the courts became so much stricter on child sexual abuse is somehow a problem with a senate election taking place in 2010? Yeah, that's recent alright.

What's more "recent' are the 5 sexual abuse convictions that Coakley has made since 1995 - I don't see you making any mention of them for some reason.
  7. Real World

Ratings:
    +313 / 4 / -2

Yeah, you're right. My thinking that if Coakley had done her job appropriately at the time, that the issue would have been exposed a decade sooner, and maybe some kids in the meantime wouldn't have been molested, is misguided. I think Coakley is swell. You've changed my mind.All child molesting priests should be held out of the public light, and given a year away from kids unsupervised, without a criminal record. :rolleyes:
  8. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +190 / 7 / -23

This did not make a big media splash until the Globe exposed it in 2002... not that it makes it right, but prior to that most of the world was on that river in Egypt...

Dealt with some victims of catholic priest sexual abuse over the years, and most of the time they flew under the radar.. in heavily concentrated catholic areas of the NE, where politics and folks like Cardinal Law boundaries blur..there were always efforts to make this go away..

The standards of 1995 are much different then they are today.. when I worked with the state, dealt with a family in the mid 70's, 3 girls and the father molested all of them... they disclosed and the AG wanted the whole case to go away, however they had to proceed due to political pressure by me and other concerned folks... never forget as we walked into Court the AG, came over and whispered in my ear and asked... "What am I supposed to ask, did your father put his penis in you"??? I said, "yes"... we walked in and the dad looked at the pissed girls, and made a deal to avoid doing time..

Without regard to look at anything today, and judge yesterday by the same standards does not work real well... what Coakley did in 1995, was pretty much in practice in that day and age, unfortunately..
  9. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +360 / 8 / -3

#11 Jersey

That's not what I said, was it? The thing is there's enough blame to go around. This is one woman who was trying to do her job with what she had to work with - and in 1995 that wasn't much. Should she has gone to court? Maybe yes....but remember she had just suffered a brutal loss with the same kind of case involving another priest just months before hand - to the cheers and celebration of a whole congregation. Also remember that the church was not only NOT cooperating at the time they were actively withholding evidence and strongly defending their priests both in and out of court room settings.

Sometimes you settle - it's not always what you want to do but sometimes it's the best you can hope to do. Maybe, just maybe, this was one of those cases. I hardly think it's the whole of Ms. Coakley's record so maybe we should take everything she's ever done into consideration instead of basing our hatred on one instance we really can't speak to the legalities of.
  10. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

75 incidents since 1995 and 50 new militia groups since Obama got elected. To me that packs quite a punch. Are all the incidents related to race? Probably not. But, perhaps we should look at those earlier incidents in light of what is happening now, with Obama receiving 400% more threats against him than Bush. To me, the extremist right wing has always had issues with race and, many of these militia members more than likely have sympathy with racist groups like the KKK, John Birch Society, and so on. I think history would show that the American extreme right wing has always been associated with racism, but Obama has certainly inspired them even more than Bill Clinton.

By the same logic, Coakley should be held to high standard for her failure to prosecute more aggressively in 1995. Of course, the Catholic Church had enormous power in MA then, but still when we look to leaders, those who are best are not afraid to confront even institutions as powerful as the Catholic Church.
  11. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +126 / 7 / -13

Most of the 50 guys seem like common theives busted for bank robberies. Most of the white trash in prisions seem to have nazi tats and iq's lower than room temp.

The priest should have been jailed and this person who let him go is unfit for office.
  12. mr3putt

mr3putt Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Coakley has always been more fond a camera than a courtroom.
    I shudder to think of her in Washington
    Yet another "liveshot" MA politician

We can sure pickum.
  13. Real World

Ratings:
    +313 / 4 / -2

You are a moderator. Please do not hijack my thread. Post this in the thread about militias, and I'll respond accordingly.

I'm a catholic. I've gone to private catholic schools for most of my life. I don't go to church. However, this ordeal pissed me off to no extent. I don't want to hear excuses when it comes to the mass molestation of children. Her actions here were pathetic.
  14. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +360 / 8 / -3

#11 Jersey

Her actions (or inactions) did not take place in a vacuum. It would do you well to remember that and spread blame accordingly instead of laying it all on the doorstep of one overworked lawyer in a fairly new division without much in the way of established groundwork or previous actions on the part of the entire legal system which was operating at the time.
  15. Real World

Ratings:
    +313 / 4 / -2

More appologism. Where did I say that she alone is to blame? Keep spinning and appologizing for a job poorly done. I'm speaking specifically to the job she did. It sucked. She should have exposed the issue, instead of keeping it quiet. She didn't even attempt to press it further. A total joke.
  16. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +190 / 7 / -23

Hindsight is 20-20, and in 1995 Cardinal Law and the Catholic Church were sitting on documents that were not revealed until after the Globe expose...
    of course every advocate, that got involved after the case says she screwed up... but in reality he touched these boys, and by all indications knew that she was not likely to get a conviction...

You can have all the outrage you want, but in reality Coakley worked in a political system, and at that time the boundaries between the elected political officials and catholic church were blurred... there is not much she could have done differently. Many prosecutors would like to have every case back that did not work out the way they wanted it to... but in reality working in a political system sometimes does not allow for mavericks...

When you work in these type of systems, you have superiors who make decisions that you have to live with, whether you like it or not... the probation she got for Geoghan, even though it was inneffective, was apparently the best she could to at the time... it always slays me when the advocates who came later with their what might have happened, in reality no one knows.. she could have gone to trial and the kids could have backed out when they had to testify.. or any number of things, the evidence seems very "soft".. and bet if you presented what she did to many prosecutors across the country, they would probably agree...

The real villians here are Cardinal Law and his band of thieves who covered this stuff up... and did not cooperate with the investigation, they knew Geoghan was a diddler and kept their mouth shut... it they had any integrity or honor they would have come forth and cooperated, rather than make believe it would go away by their neglect...
  17. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

Coakley's actions in the Au pair case were despicable. This woman believes in nothing except furthering her own career.
  18. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Seems to be a pattern with the recent Middlesex County DAs...they all love the camera.
  19. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

OT of the thread but I couldn't resist...Martha Coakley's Sister Can See The Middle East From Her House | NewsBusters.org

The video's in the article. Maybe she liked Sarah's response a few months ago and decided to use it herself lol ;)