PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Coaching has been horrible down the stretch and stupid today

Matt Chatham tweeted yesterday during the game that a) Stork actually had a consistent tell (moving his head or something) when he was about to snap and b) we were using the same damn cadence the entire game to the point where tons of beat reporters and even players on other teams were calling it out. Which if both true also would explain why we struggled on the edge so much and how Ware/Miller were able to time their rushes so perfectly.

Why we could not change cadence a few times throughout the game is a mystery for me. I mean they could have practiced that right ? It couldn't have come as a surprise to anyone that it would be loud in Denver.

Those are actually coaching issue that would be worth discussing instead of the dreck that attracts people.

They tried to do something to simplify the interline communication.

The reason you do that is because you do not have confidence in their ability to communicate independently and all be on the same page.

Could be coaching, the players, etc.

No, not in hindsight. It made perfect logical sense even before the decision was made.
It also made sense to go for it. I really don't want to argue this as there is no wrong answer IMO.

Agree completely. The coaching from top to bottom was not good this year.
*The defense shut down the Broncos in the 2nd half. Kick the FG's and get the points.
*Broncos edge rushers were blasting off on the Patriots silent count based the predictable head movements of the Center. A TV analyst here in Boston observed that during the game. Patriots sideline made no adjustments with the Center in an attempt to slow the Denver D. I have no doubt the Pats were UNAWARE that was going on. Tip of the cap to the Broncs and their film study. Brady talked about changing the cadence. The Patriots never realized their own Center was telegraphing the hiking of the ball. Brady was also a major part of the problem because he was letting the clock run down so the Denver D knew the play was coming and could fire off the line.
POOR awareness by a QB and staff that should know better.
*Patriots offense was run for no gain or a one yd loss on 1st down and then have Brady look downfield on 2nd and 3rd down. No attempt as screens, sweeps, in cuts to big guys like LaFell, jump balls to tall guys like Chandler. NOPE!! Brady looks down field. Predictable vanilla....and it was eaten up by the Broncs D.
*Started game with a baby poop soft defensive game plan. Yeah yeah....Peyton Manning lacks arm strength so lets defend against the long ball. Let's not pressure him, let's play our DB's 15 yds off the line. Exactly what film study was done of Peyton Manning to create that game plan???
UNREAL!!!!!

Last edited:
Kick a FG on one of those 4th downs and we win

Matt Chatham tweeted yesterday during the game that a) Stork actually had a consistent tell (moving his head or something) when he was about to snap and b) we were using the same damn cadence the entire game to the point where tons of beat reporters and even players on other teams were calling it out. Which if both true also would explain why we struggled on the edge so much and how Ware/Miller were able to time their rushes so perfectly.

Why we could not change cadence a few times throughout the game is a mystery for me. I mean they could have practiced that right ? It couldn't have come as a surprise to anyone that it would be loud in Denver.

Those are actually coaching issue that would be worth discussing instead of the dreck that attracts people.

This is un-Patriot like. Our players/coaches do this to other teams and our coaches make sure other teams don't do this to us.

Yes they will say that.

I'm going with the o-line. Injuries, talent level, communication, inexperience and lack of consistency all season are the contributing factors to Brady getting hammered the most of any QB the last 10 years
You never chase the points
THIS GUY
bridge-troll-4e7123d-intro.jpg

What did they have 11, 3 and outs, so if they were this close(which did not happen often) going for the 7 made sense.. as every other drive was stymied.. going for the 1st down made perfect sense, as they could not get anything going offensively..

If they went for the three, they would still need a TD.. and the way the Bronco's were holding the Pats in check, this made sense..

This is called confidence in the greatest QB of all time..

I really have no problem with the decision of going for it...It was 4th and 1..it's not like it was 4th and 10. It's also not like we were moving the ball up and down the field yesterday either, we couldn't block Denver's d line.

Did they not have a strategy to beat DEN at least on one side of the ball? It did not appear they did to me. :confused: :rolleyes:

They did on defense. It was to stop the run and dare noodle-armed Peyton to throw. And that worked for the most part.

Blew several games poor coaching decisions. At 6 minutes left you kick that FG that was stupid. You needed those 3 points.

I typically don't like to second guess their decisions. I defended their decision to receive in OT because of a few reasons (It's easier when you know for certain whether you need a FG or TD. Helps making calls easier. It's almost no different than the advantage you get in the bottom of the 9th)

However, when they went for it, I felt it was completely stupid, and I wasn't using the benefit of hindsight. I posted it on my FB page that it was a bad decision because there was still so much time left in the game, and the score was too close to do that. Bringing the game to 5 with about 6 minutes to go completely changes the tempo. Yes, they still needed a TD to win if they only had one more drive, but consider this...

- With 6 minutes to go, you're almost guaranteed 2 drives. If you don't get at least 2, it's because your defense blew it and allowed the Broncos to chew up clock. That also means the Broncos likely scored either via TD or FG. If your defense blew it, they blew it.

- Then, factor in the defense only gave up 3 points in the second half and really looked solid all day despite the two TD drives (one was a short drive, thanks to Brady's careless throw). Manning had less than 200 yards, and CJ Anderson had 42 without that one long play they allowed.

- Broncos were clearly going to rely on their defense to win it for them, so they weren't going to go out with aggressive throwing calls risking a turnover. This made getting the ball at least 2x even more likely.

While the extra point cost them at least a tie, the decision to go for it with 6 minutes to go lost them the game. I wish they never got to 4th and 1, this way they definitely would have kicked it and quite possibly won the game.

I really have no problem with the decision of going for it...It was 4th and 1..it's not like it was 4th and 10. It's also not like we were moving the ball up and down the field yesterday either, we couldn't block Denver's d line.

All the more reason to assume they weren't going to make the conversion, and should have settled on ANY points

Edit: With our O-Line vs their D-line, even a sneak wasn't a guarantee.

I was okay with going for it on fourth down instead of kicking. In retrospect, yes the better move is to take the points and have a chance to go ahead on a TD.

Go back to that moment. Our offense was struggling the entire game. We turned the ball over, we struggled to finish off drives. I was in the mindset of "this is our only chance" to get the TD. I wasn't confident that the offense could muster another drive to threaten a score. As it turns out we did...thanks to a clutch ass play on fourth down to Gronk for 40 yds.

Amendola was wide open immediately after the snap for an easy 1st down.
What was the point of the running a run play on 1st down? They lost there the yard they needed to make on 4th down.

So Cannon was GARBAGE at RT and Stork was helping Ware/Miller. But they never though of inserting Andrews at Center and moving Stork at RT. WTF. The title of this thread says it all. The coaching really was horrible and stupid.

Monday morning Quarterback are always correct

While the extra point cost them at least a tie, the decision to go for it with 6 minutes to go lost them the game. I wish they never got to 4th and 1, this way they definitely would have kicked it and quite possibly won the game.

Yeah. Like I posted in the post-game thread, if Amendola didn't make that great effort to even get it to 4th-and-1 (not that he did anything wrong) I'm thinking they kick the FG.

I haven't read the whole thread and, with most of the posts probably centering around yesterday's game, I'm not going to. I'll just say that I don't think "horrible" and "stupid" are the right words. I think a more accurate description would either fall under "lacking confidence" or "scared". This is the first time in a lot of years that this coach was afraid of his offense, and unwilling to go for kill shots at appropriate times, while taking unnecessary gambles at others.

This is the first time in a lot of years that this coach was afraid of his offense, and unwilling to go for kill shots.
Good point. How many times did we see them take a knee before the half instead of going for the points? With our offensive line woes, I can see why.

I haven't read the whole thread and, with most of the posts probably centering around yesterday's game, I'm not going to. I'll just say that I don't think "horrible" and "stupid" are the right words. I think a more accurate description would either fall under "lacking confidence" or "scared". This is the first time in a lot of years that this coach was afraid of his offense, and unwilling to go for kill shots at appropriate times, while taking unnecessary gambles at others.
I get the feeling that BB knows his O-Line is even worse than they appear.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back