PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Coaches blew it with situational football

Status
Not open for further replies.

upstater1

Hall of Fame Poster
Reaction score
Not getting into the horrible refs. The coaches are great at situational football typically, but all the bad from this game, including Gronk, came from needing to take some chances they wouldn't have had to take if only they played a punt return correctly.

Harper needed to be told not to take any chances whatsoever, to let the ball go. You're up by multiple scores and the Denver O is struggling. You just went 3 and out.

That is horrible situational football.

Why we were passing with 2:40 to go with a fresh set of downs was one of the dumbest coaching moments I can think this staff making.

That cost us the game, and with gronk getting injured, maybe much much more.

Agreed....he learned his lesson and adjusted afterwards but obviously not in time to prevent the momentum turning mistake.

Throwing with 2 minutes and 30-someodd seconds instead of milking the clock to the 2-Minute Warning against a team with only 1 Timeout left was the most egregious mistake made.

Not only did it give Denver plenty of time, it cost us Gronk.

Unreal.

Not getting into the horrible refs. The coaches are great at situational football typically, but all the bad from this game, including Gronk, came from needing to take some chances they wouldn't have had to take if only they played a punt return correctly.

Harper needed to be told not to take any chances whatsoever, to let the ball go.
Harper should not be returning punts, period. NEVER a job for a rookie. NEVER. I don't care if it's a defensive lineman down there catching the ball. Once your aces are out (Edelman, Amendola), you put in whoever has the surest hands to field punts and cut your losses.

Harper needed to be told not to take any chances whatsoever, to let the ball go. You're up by multiple scores and the Denver O is struggling. You just went 3 and out.

That is horrible situational football.

It's Harper's job to catch the ball. He took his eye off it.

I agree

As much as I was pissed at Harper, having him back there (yet alone not telling him to simply let the ball go + not take any chances) was a serious and rare mistake.

Egregious mistakes at the end - when they got the first down with under 3 to go, it's Run, Run, Run.

Denver had 1 timeout - you get rid of that and the 2 minute warning. In that weather, with that receiving corps, really bad playcalling there.

If the situation was a WWE styled getting hit over the back with a chair by the refs, then I guess they blew it.

Blame Blount. Dude is too predictable

We shouldn't have lost this game,,but that play call which got Gronk hurt was the most ridiculous play call at that stage of the game,,late in the game ,,i swore i was going to see 2 run plays and yet the play may have cost us Gronk for the Season. On that hard surface and conditions with under 3 to play !!!!
I am shocked and angry for the loss of Gronk.

They also should have kicked to Denver to start OT. Our offense is missing lots of pieces. Back up Osweiller and let the defense make a play. If they go down the field and score a TD then they would have won anyway. I know Brady is the GOAT but I was yelling at them to kick it off as soon as they won the toss.

passing over 10 yards on 1st down really didn't make sense.....Run it down to under 2 minutesd and trust the defense.

It's really amazing all the unfortunate chain of events in this game that would have most likely never happened/mattered if Harper doesn't muff that ball.

Welp, time for no ESPN/sports talk radio for a week. Feel sick to my stomach.

They also should have kicked to Denver to start OT. Our offense is missing lots of pieces. Back up Osweiller and let the defense make a play. If they go down the field and score a TD then they would have won anyway. I know Brady is the GOAT but I was yelling at them to kick it off as soon as they won the toss.
yup...totally agree. I doubt brock gets a TD there and even a FG meant that Brady would have 4 downs to get 10 yards every time. Throw in bad weather, no offensive weapons, it really didn't make sense to hope to drive the ball 80 yards. Hated getting the ball first.

Egregious mistakes at the end - when they got the first down with under 3 to go, it's Run, Run, Run.

Denver had 1 timeout - you get rid of that and the 2 minute warning. In that weather, with that receiving corps, really bad playcalling there.
Surprisingly they did exactly that last week vs the bills. Wont be surprised if brady changed the play to throw big to gronk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes