Welcome to PatsFans.com

Coach Fired after the 100-0 "Victory" in HS Basketball..

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by DarrylS, Jan 26, 2009.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +186 / 6 / -23

Following this story all week, a team is up 59-0 at the half.. finally wins after 100-0. So this "religious school" gets embarassed issues an apology on their web site, then the now ex coach comes back and claims there is nothing wrong with what he did??? The team they beat came from a pool of 20 girls, who are considered to have"learning differences" and attention issues.

There is no mercy rule, and there shouldn't be, but 100-0... some folks do not seem to get this whole sports thing.

Coach fired after breaking with his bosses over apology for 100-0 victory -- chicagotribune.com

2. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +328 / 6 / -8

Hey, it's the learning disabled girls' job to stop them.
  3. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I played in a dart league for many years where the teams facing each other were mostly well-balanced; but from time to time a match between two players would be highly lopsided. Regardless of whether I was the 'hammer' or the 'nail,' in such cases I always tried to get those matches over with as quickly as possible. I felt that drawing extra attention to the fact that someone just got their butt kicked (like what this publicity is doing) was the biggest crime.
  4. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +333 / 1 / -9

Were there any fights.
  5. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +188 / 3 / -10

Whether this is tongue in cheek or not, I actually agree with it. Losing is not a big deal. Parents coddle their children to ridiculous levels these days. if you child loses and cries...it's ok...it REALLY is!!

If the other team didn't like it, they should have quit. How was the other team supposed to avoid scoring 100 points? I challenge anyone to answer that question.
  6. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

I'd wager that coach is a major A-hole. Nice ego, 100-0. I've seen many times where a coach stacks his team with ringers, or a golfer sandbags. Hey coach, here's an old cliche for you. What goes around comes around. Good luck in your future.
  7. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

Supposedly the team hasn't won a game in 4 years. Perhaps it's time for them to look at playing in a another division/conference where they might have a chance to be competitive.
  8. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Actually, I think that might be it for other schools. There are a handful of private schools and then the public schools, which are all very large in that area.
    So they could continue scheduling against those schools with compatible enrollments, or schedule with lower grades (JV), or dismantle the program.
    Not winning in four years is not the end of the world. It's what did these girls get out of those games in which they played. I'd have to ask the "winning" coach of the last game what his girls got out of that game.
  9. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +304 / 4 / -2

There's really no right or wrong here. Some will argue that you should let the other team score, or let up, while others might feel that you play to win the game (Hermy boy I love that line!). While I personally think 100-0 is pathetic, and would have totally let up, there is no rule that says someone else has to. I think this is an extreme (IMO), and bugs me like the people who don't want to keep score. Competition, winning and losing really, teaches kids alot. It teaches them about success, and failure. It teaches them about sportsmanship, and effort. It teaches them to work hard, and as a team. With that being said, 100-0 is totally extreme. I'd never, ever do that.
  10. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

That's the point, you would never do that, neither would most people on this board. I've worked in schools, seen a lot of coaches. I know the type that would go for a 100-0 win and wouldn't want any association with that person. He'll get his.......then cry foul.
  11. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

The school that lost should not have played this juggernaut team. They should have a more realistic schedule. I went to a HS with less than 400 boys total, and we played div 1 schools with 200 boys or more. We did very well. In fact we won the state div II crown one year (they let you drop down for the tournament if you want to and you're small enoug.) There was a catholic school in town that had ont 120 boys in the whole school, and they were never easy to play. Point is, you schedule and play to your level. You don't take on Patrick Ewing and Cambridge Ringe and Latin of you're a tiny school full of short boys. A lot of the blame goes to the losing school and whoever decided playing this team would be a good idea.

It's true you can learn a lot from losing as well as winning. This fall outside of any beneficial losing experience. There's absolutely nothing these girls could have walked away with after this loss. The winning team could not have learned anything either. The other coach is a loser - big time. He'll get a new job in Texas, though.
  12. Real World

Ratings:
    +304 / 4 / -2

He already got his. He got fired.

I just heard on WEEI that the losing team only had SEVEN shots the entire game, and that they recently lost a game 51-1, against a team who's coach totally told the players to let up.
  13. Synovia

Synovia Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

There either should be a mercy rule, or not. If 100-0 is not acceptable, there should be a mercy rule.

As to letting up, they scored 59 points in the first half, and 41 in the second. They did let up. As far as I'm concerned, doing something ridiculous like not shooting would have been much more poor sportsmanship.
  14. Real World

Ratings:
    +304 / 4 / -2

I just heard that this coach was "full court pressing" in the second half. WTF is up with that? What a loser.
  15. TheGodInAGreyHoodie

TheGodInAGreyHoodie Rookie

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

There is plenty of ways a coach can slow down the bloodbath without not shooting or even "letting up".

1. Use the bench. (by itself this rarely works)

2. Require that your players make 5 passes before shooting. This will slow down the game.

3. Require all or some of your players to play with their non-dominant hand. still play 100% but a right handed player must shoot and dribble with her left hand and a left handed player with her right. This has the benefit of having these players develop better ball handling skills with their other hand improving their ability for playing better teams more than a layup drill against a weak opponent.

This team set a goal of getting the score to 100-0.
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
  16. Mogamedogz

Mogamedogz Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Good posting here. This guy knows stuff.
  17. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Question:

Why do men angle to coach girls HS sports? Very odd ambition.

But then, this IS Texas...
  18. Roland

Roland Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

There must be great MILF action from the bench girls mothers. " MILF Mom's of Roundball".
  19. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +333 / 1 / -9

Those kids are just the latest "Victims" of Politically Correct Bullsh!t, we have a disabled child in our family "through marriage" her father told me once when he heard me RAVING about Pant Suit Hillary and her stinking book "It Takes A Village", he said "I will never allow a liberal school or the liberal politically correct society embarrass or use my child for their "feel good sh!t"
    His child has turned into a well adjusted happy human being.

How can a parent sit in the stands and watch a sports game all the while knowing that the opposing team is LETTING their childs team win, I couldn't do it.

It's like Affirmative Action (you didn't get the job on your own)
  20. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +186 / 6 / -23

So if your disabled relative is on a team, it is ok for that child to suffer and 100-0 loss??? You would not mind as a grandparent?? It is not about political correctness, but common sense and the spirit of the game.

In a 32 minute High School game that is a lot of points to score..