PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

CNNSI All America Team

mayoclinic

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
This out today from CNNSI:

Mark Ingram, Jerry Hughes lead SI.com's 2009 All-America teams - NCAA Football - SI.com

Notable 1st team players include RBs Mark Ingram and Toby Gerhart, WR Golden Tate, OGs Mike Iupati and Mike Johnson, DE Jerry Hughes, DTs Ndamukon Suh and Bryan Price (ahead of Gerald McCoy), ILB Rolando McClain, S Eric Berry and CB Joe Haden.

Some of their choices are just plain wierd. How anyone can have Ciron Black as a 2nd team All American is beyond me, for example.

I am confused. CNNSI says Von miller led the nation with 17 sacks and Brian Price finished second with 22 sacks.. How can that be?

I like Brian Price as a pass rusher.

I am confused. CNNSI says Von miller led the nation with 17 sacks and Brian Price finished second with 22 sacks.. How can that be?

I like Brian Price as a pass rusher.

I assume you mean as a 3-4 DE. Good player. Isn't he a bit on the short side, though?

I assume you mean as a 3-4 DE. Good player. Isn't he a bit on the short side, though?

I just like watching him rush the passer. Relentless all heart, blood and guts.

Not sure if he makes sense for us.

ProFootballWeekly published their All America team today:

ProFootballWeekly.com - All-America team

Some interesting picks:

- CJ Spiller at RB over Mark Ingram. Nawrocki calls Spiller "electricity in a bottle, Spiller is a dynamite game-changer who appeared superhuman zigzagging through ACC defenses while battling through injuries all year." Mark Ingram, Jonathan Dwyer, Ryan Mathews, Toby Gerhart and Dexter McCluster were all honorable mention, along with a couple of super frosh prospects, Dion Lewis and Ryan Williams. Dion Lewis looks like he will end up being somewhere in-between Maurice Jones-Drew and Barry Sanders. Not bad.

- A couple of small school guys getting honorable mention at OT: Vladimir Ducasse (UMass) and Jared Veldheer (Hillsdale, Michigan). 2 guys with a lot of athleticism and upside.

- Mike Iupati, Mike Pouncey and Maurkice Pouncey as the interior linemen.

- Derrick Morgan and Jason Pierre-Paul at DE, with honorable mention to Greg Romeus, Robert Quinn, Brandon Graham, Jerry Hughes, Adrian Clayborn and Cameron Heyward. Pierre-Paul seems a bit of a reach based on his 2009 production, over Graham and Hughes. Several of these guys are potential 3-4 OLB candidates. Quinn will be the best of the bunch, but is not draft eligible.

- Quite a secondary: Eric Berry and Earl Thomas at safety, with Patrick Peterson and Joe Haden at CB. I'd take that group.

The season that Ryan Williams had has been overlooked by many. I thought he had a great season. 1538 yards and 19 TD as a freshman. He rushed for over 100 yards in all but 3 games. He reminds me of a young Ricky Williams when I watch him play.

Dion Lewis is very shifty, quick, and surprisingly powerful. He's also had a great season for Pitt.

Mark Ingram reminds me of Rashard Mendenhall. Powerful and elusive with a good mix of speed, hits the hole hard.

Another guy I like is Dennis Johnson of Arkansas. He kind of reminds me of Michael Turner when I watch him play. He's so hard to bring down. Against Florida guys were trying to tackle him and were just bouncing off him.

Some great young RB's to watch this bowl season and for the next few years.

And Mayo, I agree with you about Ciron Black being on 2nd team all america.

Last edited:
Dion Lewis is the closest thing I've seen to Barry Sanders since Barry Sanders. He's got a way to go to get to that point, but he's only a freshman.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back