Welcome to PatsFans.com

CNN edits interview with John Cena

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by STFarmy, Nov 13, 2007.

1. STFarmy

STFarmy In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I realize this is relatively minor, but it's an exmaple of how the media loves to massage the truth. I realize it's just wrestling, but they willfully are attempting to slight Cena's character through this trickery. Sickening. Also, notice how it's getting no play in the mainstream press.

http://www.miamiherald.com/675/story/304664.html

2. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I thought only Fox News did such things... :confused:

3. STFarmy

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

That's what some like to believe, but this isn't a right-wing media thing or a left-wing media thing - it's just a media thing. And if this is what they do with a minor wrestling story, imagine what they do with major stories?

4. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Kinda scary, isn't it..?

5. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +817 / 2 / -9

This is why America has turned to "The New Media" this is why Dan Rather feeds pigeons in Central Park, this is why Cute Perky Katie will soon join him, this is why they wanted to censor Limbaugh and BAN talk radio.

We now know all the things these people never wanted to tell us.

6. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

I agree.
    The modern media is unbelievably biased due to commercial time constraints. Because of their limited ability to tell the whole story, they are "forced" to make a decision on how they are going to slant a story one way or another. CNN seems to be unable to decide if they're left or right. Fox is right. MSNBC is left. Only on long shows dedicated to specific subjects can a topic be laid out anywhere near thoroughly. TV news is a waste of time and depends on soundbites, and it gets worse when editorializing becomes a part of the "information" and content.

7. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +353 / 15 / -12

It was a poor edit, but not a horrendous edit. After all, he did say,

"'My answer to that question `Have you ever used steroids?' is the only thing I can say. I can't tell you that I haven't, but you'll never be able to prove that I have, because each one of you, each one of you out there, has an opinion on how I carry myself, and I can take a million tests. I've been tested for drugs since I've been 17-years-old. I can take a million tests. I can pass every one of them. As soon as I pass it, there's some other guy on the other end going 'Oh, there's masking agents. There's this. There's that.' I know the arguments because I've been in the situation."

At any rate, I think the whole steroid issue is b.s. I don't see anything wrong with athletes using steroids. There may be specific kinds of steroids that have dangerous side effects, but from what I've read, used responsibly, steroids are safe.

8. STFarmy

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I have to disagree, it's a horrendous edit. His original answer to the question was "absolutely not." And while his answer of "I can't tell you that I haven't, but you'll never be able to prove that I have" seems awful, in context, he's saying that the media will just assume that he has no matter what he said. He's trying to be a little too articulate and it resulted in awkward wording, but CNN took full advantage of that.

9. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +662 / 7 / -2

``In a country in which the news media is highly suspect and the quality of unbiased reporting has been thrown into the trash can, CNN has stooped to new depths.

Baaaaa.....totally pathetic. I'd say I'm surprised but I'm not. The MSM of all shapes and sizes has been shaping news, and twisting words, for decades. Of course the sheep don't really take notice. I hope this gets some air time, but my guess is it won't.

10. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Bullsh*t. If the Miami Herald article is accurate (and I didn't look at the links and view the video myself), it was an egregious and horrendous lapse of journalistic ethics. They asked a yes or no question, he gave an emphatic "no" for an answer, and that gets edited out completely to make it look like he did what Nem does when asked about Jane Fonda.

11. Real World

Ratings:
    +662 / 7 / -2

You think it's commercial time constraints that make a channel biased? I disagree. Slanting news, and shaping it is done by design, and is not done by necessity. This interview that was spliced and diced to fit a predetermined angle, was part of an hour long documentary, and not some 45 second nightly news report.

12. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

I'm bored with it already.
    Who needs another media story about the media?

13. Real World

Ratings:
    +662 / 7 / -2

:rofl: :rolleyes:

14. Real World

Ratings:
    +662 / 7 / -2

Farmy, horrendous is right. They totally changed his reply to fit their needed answer. Anyone seeing that will think that he's dodging the question or admitting use. It's totally disengenuous, and inappropriate for any media establishment to do something like that. If they're doing it for wrestling, then what else are they doing it for? See, people like Patters don't think it's all that bad, cuz they know the vast majority of media spins in their direction. Only that eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeevil Fox News is bad. That's why people need to inform themsleves, and make their own decisions.

15. STFarmy

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

As those from Maine would say (Harry would know this): A-yuh.

16. Real World

Ratings:
    +662 / 7 / -2

We all do. People need to know how gross the media is in this country.

17. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +353 / 15 / -12

Well, I'm approaching from the standpoint that the whole issue of steroids is b.s. and, I don't know anything about wrestling, but I wouldn't think an iota more or less of Cena whether or not he did steroids.

18. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Yes, but the media policing itself is stupid and completely redundant. We can talk about it and make choices based on our own perceptions, but the media is going to defend itself or the Biased FOX and the biased MSNBC will be accusing each other of bias. I love how thick-skinned and classy those organizations can be. Like Olberman vs. O'Rielly...no thanks!

19. STFarmy

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Right, I understand. I hear that point. I was just indignant over what I felt was a blatant attempt to alter Cena's response.

20. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I bet the family of Chris Benoit doesn't think the whole issue of steroids is b.s.