Welcome to PatsFans.com

CNBC: US Jobless Rate Really at 16%, Not 8.1%

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatriotsReign, Sep 17, 2012.

1. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +298 / 3 / -13

It's about time mainstream news corporations starting to tell us the truth!

For all those who gave me grief over my moaning about the lies we were being told concerning our unemployment rate.....

I was right and you were wrong....but what-the-heck, it was only 7 or 8 points of unemployment we were talking about...right?:rolleyes:

US Jobless Rate Really at 16%, Not 8.1%

US Jobless Rate Really at 16%, Not 8.1%: Expert - Yahoo! Finance
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +239 / 8 / -26

Re: MSNBC: US Jobless Rate Really at 16%, Not 8.1%

So you want to change the rules the Reagan changed, from MSNBC even though it is a Yahoo reference????
  3. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +423 / 6 / -7

This isn't MSNBC, it's CNBC.

And yeah, it's fine if you want to use another metric if you feel it more accurately captures the real unemployment rate. But you need to be consistent (so, basically, not like Fox News).
  4. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +298 / 3 / -13

After I clicked on "Submit"...I started counting 3-2-1 que Darryl and his Reagan comment

And you came through in FLYING colors just like I wanted you to!!!
  5. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +153 / 7 / -13

Millions of people unemployed and the sycophants in the MSM and elsewhere spin like tops.
  6. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +298 / 3 / -13

I changed it to CNBC....thanks!

I agree regarding consistency. But if we changed the methodology, we'd actually see that the REAL unemployment rate hasn't come down nearly as much as under the current reporting system because not nearly as many workers would "fall off the list" and stopped being counted.
  7. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

its ALWAYS twice as high as reported.

This has been the case since I can remember. Due to UNDER-employment, counting the military, and not counting those who simply stopped looking for work.

I swear, sometimes, its like right wingers crawled out of from under a rock that they put on top of themselves and are screaming "ROCK!!!.....look at that ROCK!!!...WTF!!???..."
  8. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +423 / 6 / -7

How is using and reporting on the same measure of UE that has been used by the government and in media an example of media spin?
  9. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +170 / 4 / -4

I think there are several issues going on here. The Republican governors were zealous at cutting the state employment rolls, pushing 700,000 more people into unemployment. Even with unemployment insurance and benefits, that probably translates to loss to the economy of roughly $15 billion, which probably put a lot of other people out of work. In other words, the deficit hawks have contributed mightily to this crisis.

In addition, the collapse of unions and pensions has resulted in people generally earning less, having weaker retirement funds, and being able to save less, which further reduced the spending ability of Americans and hurt the labor market.

I believe the problems started in the 1980s with Reaganomics, which recklessly cut taxes on the wealthy (and created record deficits too), cut programs designed to help poorer people enter the middle class, and reduced the influence of unions that helped create a middle class that had enough money that they could support their local small businesses.

Now, we are in a situation where many older people need to continue working longer than they planned, often taking away jobs from younger people. Until we return to a more sensible economic model, like that which predated Reagan, it will be difficult to turn the economy around. I think Obama has taken steps in that direction with the stimulus plan, the auto bailout, his plan to raise taxes on the wealthy, and his general support of public unions.

The conservatives don't really seem to have a plan. They seem to have a superstition, namely if you reduce government, cut taxes, and cut services, everything will be okay. That's based on absolutely nothing, i.e., there is neither real evidence or logic to support that theory. Reagan tried it, and unemployment rose to 10.8% (at which point he changed the methodology), so Reagan raised taxes and created record deficits, and suddenly the economy was doing well again.
  10. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +298 / 3 / -13

Except the OP (me) is not a "right-winger" HD!

The reason WHY so many highly intelligent people are complaining is this...now read closely HD!

The current "Recession" is the longest since the Great Depression.
    The longer a recession lasts, the more people "fall off the list"
    This has never been an issue in my lifetime or yours Holy Diver.
    But it's an issue today and moving forward.

It is more important than ever that we understand just how bad the unemployment picture is. We need to understand if going from 10.7% to 8.1% unemployment truly means people are going back to work (they're not). Or if it's just math. Because this will tell Americans what we DESERVE to know because when it comes the condition of our economy, you & I have every right to know EXACTLY what that condition is and our gov't has NO RIGHT to deceive the average citizen of that condition.

Should make sense to you now HD.
  11. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +298 / 3 / -13

No, there is only ONE issue in this thread and that's the accuracely of the manner in which our unemployment is reported.

This isn't a discussion about the history of how unemployment is reported, why unemployment is so damned high or who's fault it is.

Do you understand?

12. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +239 / 8 / -26

I have always gone by the test that if it smells like, looks like and acts like it usually is.. so by this highly reliable eyeball test, you are from the right..

Why didn't you want to change the rules changed by Reagan, when Bush was president?? You seldom whined then..
  13. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +298 / 3 / -13

Here's an example....

A politician tells voters that our employment picture is getting better and the media supports his/her statement with distorted facts on a declining unemployment rate.
  14. Triumph

Triumph Rookie

Ratings:
    +166 / 35 / -13

#32 Jersey

Glad to see that you dont buy Obamas spin either.
  15. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +298 / 3 / -13

[​IMG]

But for the record, I hated Reagan with a passion. I've cast a vote for a republican once in my lifetime and that was for Scott Brown.

So you don't really know diddly about my political views and you can't "SMELL" me at all.

But I do for a fact that you're a radical leftie.

BTW....the following is why all of us need to see a new unemployment report;

The current "Recession" is the longest since the Great Depression.
    The longer a recession lasts, the more people "fall off the list"
    This has never been an issue in my lifetime or yours Holy Diver.
    But it's an issue today and moving forward.

It is more important than ever that we understand just how bad the unemployment picture is. We need to understand if going from 10.7% to 8.1% unemployment truly means people are going back to work (they're not). Or if it's just math. Because this will tell Americans what we DESERVE to know because when it comes the condition of our economy, you & I have every right to know EXACTLY what that condition is and our gov't has NO RIGHT to deceive the average citizen of that condition.

Should make sense to you now Darryl.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2012
  16. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +423 / 6 / -7

BLS = Obama?

Got any evidence that Obama has rejiggered the manner in which UE is reported? Or is this just expanding the exhibit of your lousy reasoning?
  17. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

If you complained that the unemployment #'s were underreported during the last president, then you have no reason to be defensive. I've been saying this since I've been posting in the forum you can check. When I see you posting things like this:

I have to reply with a "No $#!t?....Where have you been for the last 25 years?"
  18. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +298 / 3 / -13

FYI HD.....we didn't have an UNEMPLOYMENT problem under our last president!!

Where you been?

People only complain about the way unemployment is reported when unemployment is high.

So you wanted me to complain when we had 4% unemployment? I should have attached a rofl guy here!

And btw....I never voted for Bush 1 or 2....and never liked either one. But I DID vote for Clinton TWICE!!
  19. Triumph

Triumph Rookie

Ratings:
    +166 / 35 / -13

#32 Jersey

You just admitted that Obamas numbers are not REAL. I dont care whats reported because most people know its just a lie.

All that matters is what the actual unemployment rate is right now.

Speaking of realty. Have a dose.

Electoral college model predicts big Romney win - Conservative News
  20. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +170 / 4 / -4

This is a political forum, not a statistics forum. Perhaps if you want to debate methodologies and reason for one formula over another, you should be in a different forum. My point is simply that it doesn't matter what the unemployment rate is. If we had always used the higher rate, then we would think that 10% unemployment was normal, I suppose. But, it does matter why the unemployment rate is so high.

The fact that you are suggesting we use a different metric (something which you've brought up before, by the way, but I guess you like to repeat yourself) right in the heart of the election season is political in my opinion. You're not fooling anyone, PR. Most of your economic posts implicitly attack liberal economics and favor conservative economics.