Welcome to PatsFans.com

Climategate: greatest scientific scandal of our day?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Wolfpack, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

If these hacked e mails turn out to be legitimate it is going to be pretty bad for a while for the proponents of man made global warming. I am going to wait for more details to come out before jumping to any conclusions of my own but right now it does not look good.

I do have to say that if the hacked e mails are false usually the people with their names attached come right out and say 'those are completely fake' like when the made up Rush Limbaugh quotes came out last month. But in this case all we are hearing is a lot of 'no comments' from the people who have their names attached to these e mails. Silence speaks a thousand words.

Climategate: the final nail in the coffin of ‘Anthropogenic Global Warming’? – Telegraph Blogs

When you read some of those files – including 1079 emails and 72 documents – you realise just why the boffins at Hadley CRU might have preferred to keep them confidential. As Andrew Bolt puts it, this scandal could well be “the greatest in modern science”. These alleged emails – supposedly exchanged by some of the most prominent scientists pushing AGW theory – suggest:

Conspiracy, collusion in exaggerating warming data, possibly illegal destruction of embarrassing information, organised resistance to disclosure, manipulation of data, private admissions of flaws in their public claims and much more.

2. JackBauer

JackBauer Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +907 / 6 / -9

So the main question would be, why keep these findings a secret?

I'd tend to take this with a massive grain of salt.

3. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

There's nothing in that article other than a bunch of wishful thinking.

4. ljuneau

ljuneau Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I also heard this on the radio. If this turns out to be legit, I can see Al Gore growing another beard and gaining 50 lbs.

Article now also posted: Climate Skeptics See 'Smoking Gun' in Researchers' Leaked E-Mails

5. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +892 / 7 / -3

It's the biggest ponzi scheme going. MMGW has very little to do with the environment, and everything to do with global government, making money, and controlling behavior.

6. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +441 / 11 / -14

The reason if thew truth is out no Cap and trade, less power and $$$$ for the bureaucrats, allso many of these 'scientist' have an ideological agenda, the facts don't support their narrative and agenda.

This is why they refused to publish their data sets and models for independent verification.

Comments by Roy Spenser:

Global Warming’s Blue Dress Moment? The CRU EMail Hack Scandal Roy Spencer, Ph. D.

7. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +441 / 11 / -14

BTW there is 61MB of data here if it were a hoax it is VERY elaborate. So we will wait. The lab has admitted their computers were hacked. They have changed all passwords.

Now understand the hackers have committed a crime stealing the data. However it appears that there has been scientific fraud committed by the promoters in the scientific community promoting CO2 based climate change.

8. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I can think of a hundred reasons why they would keep some of the findings a secret, none the least of which is the fact that it is stolen property. I think the main question would be if it is a hoax then why are all the accused parties staying so quiet?

9. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

That article has an ironic final paragraph. He writes:

That’s pretty rich. If the hacked e-mails — with incriminating content — just happened to be Sarah Palin’s, does ANYONE believe that news reports would avoid disclosing the content of those e-mails?

He seems to have forgotten that Sarah Palin's e-mail account WAS hacked and the contents were widely discussed and revealed by the MSM. I wonder how the left will react to a little bit of turnabout?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
  10. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Fossil fuel burning will be drastically reduced for our species, whether man-man global climate change deniers and advocates of gluttonous capitalism like it or not...

I know that's difficult for them to accept, but they really don't have any choice.

11. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +766 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

I believe only a rag called "Gawker" posted anything and it was almost immediately taken down. MSM reported on the incident itself but I don't think ( but if anyone has a link it would be appreciated) that the contents were shown anywhere other than Gawker.

12. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +892 / 7 / -3

That's got nothing to do with the point here.

13. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Ultimately, it has everything to do with it...

14. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Like I said, Palin's e mails were widely discussed and revealed by the MSM. Here are 3 examples.

"The e-mails posted there appeared relatively innocuous: one, purportedly from an appointee, urged Palin not to worry about negative press. In another, Palin appeared to offer sympathy to Alaska Lt. Gov. Sean Parnell, a fellow Republican, for criticism he had received in the media. One e-mail dated Aug. 19 had a subject line referenced personnel and budget issues. Another, dated Aug. 15, referenced a records request. The body of the e-mails did not appear in the posting." - MSNBC Palin's personal e-mail account hacked - Today on the Trail

"In terms of embarrassing personal information, there wasn't much made public, save some silly family photographs. But there was some evidence that Gov. Palin conducted work business via personal e-mail--perhaps as a way to avoid divulging data in response to a subpoena or request made under Alaska's open government laws." - Feds probe hack of Palin's e-mail account | Politics and Law - CNET News

And most galling of all, Time magazine provided a convenient link (which is still active) to all the screen prints you could want from Palin's e mail in their report Sarah Palin's E-Mail Hacked - TIME

15. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +441 / 11 / -14

Wrong, The Telegraph in London, the papers in Australia, Fox NEws.

Most significantly Climate Depot, Roy Spenser, Real Climate and the head of the Lab that was hacked have all acknowledged the Papers and emails are online. You really need to expand your sources.

16. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +441 / 11 / -14

So burning doesn't matter since we will run out of hydrocarbon fuels in your view.

IOW it doesn't matter.

Please let Pelosi Kerry Gore and Obama in on this.

17. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,967 / 41 / -31

#24 Jersey

Not sure you can promote anything without greed taking hold. I think all the climate change discussion is good - even if it's based on bad data. We need to have more clean energy. Now could someone explain why we don't tap our own massive natural gas supplies more?

18. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +441 / 11 / -14

The new head of the EU let's the cat out of the bag as to where Copenhagen Climate meeting is supposed to lead.

url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXWeOa-FuyM&feature=player_embedded [/url]

The ominous part is from 1:45 to the end.

19. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +557 / 22 / -19

Did anyone actually read that column? The evidence provided is laughable. Are the global warming skeptics serious? 61 mb of emails, and the author of the column manages to find a few that are at worst ambiguous? Of course in any collection that 61 mb big, there's bound to be a few shards that someone can interpret ambiguously. This particular argument by the skeptics seems weak even for them, but then again they lost the scientific debate so might as well try to find evidence of a scandal.

As far as the specific examples, let's look at them:

(1) someone expresses a little relief that a skeptic died. Well, if you believe that MMGW may kill millions, any loss for the skeptics is a positive, even if it's a tragic loss.
    (2) The one called manipulation of evidence is given no context. After all, "adding the real" temps doesn't sound like a trick on the surface.
    (3) The one called private doubts at worst states they can't account for a lack of global warming "at the moment." The daily fluctuations are of course difficult to explain.
    (4) The fantasy of violence one is particularly laughable. Based on that example, I think FreeRepublic.Com (and perhaps this site) should be shut down forever.
    (5) The complaints about dissenters being marginalized. Aww, the dissenters are always such good sports, and have been blind-sided by those big mean MMGW advocates. Millions will die if we do not address MMGW, and a bunch of neolithic idiots paid for mostly by big oil do not seem to care about the environment. The fact that they took over a journal and are now trying to claim greater legitimacy does not make them legitimate.

20. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +557 / 22 / -19

More evidence that the global warming deniers, lacking credibility in scientific circles, are reduced to new forms of politicization. This article explains some of the 1,000/61,000,000 bytes that the deniers are trying to spin into a scandal. I think the real scandals is just how dishonest and desperate the deniers have become. Big oil is clearly scared.

The hacked climate science email scandal that wasn't : The Island of Doubt