PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Clean or Unclean?

The Brandon Five

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
2022 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Dogged If You Do, Dogged If You Don’t - By Mark Steyn - The Corner - National Review Online
Even as a notorious Islamophobe, I confess to a certain admiration for the way Islam gets you coming and going. You may have noticed in recent years various foot-of-the-page news stories about Muslim cabbies at Minneapolis Airport refusing to allow seeing-eye dogs in their taxis, or a dispute between Dutch dog-walkers and a local mosque, or a mysterious spate of dog poisonings in heavily Muslim parts of Catalonia, or the decision by the British police to make sniffer dogs wear booties to avoid offending Muslims, or Anwar Sadat’s daughter suing Dreamworks for naming a dog after her father in the film I Love You, Man, or the introduction of the seeing-eye horse for blind Muslims in Dearborn, Michigan. And you might have concluded, as a sensitive multicultural type, that Muslims aren’t quite so keen on man’s best friend as your average infidel.

More fool you. The French actress Marie Laforêt made that careless assumption and, as a result, she’s now on trial:

72-year-old Laforêt, who first found fame as an actress in the 1960s, placed an ad on an internet site looking for someone to carry out some work on her terrace in 2009, reported daily newspaper Le Parisien on Thursday.

She specified in the ad that “people with allergies or orthodox Muslims” should not apply “due to a small chihuahua.”

Laforêt claimed that she made the stipulation because she believed the Muslim faith saw dogs as unclean.

Perish the thought!

Experts in the Muslim faith were quoted as rejecting the defence.
“Dogs are not considered unclean and it’s false to suggest otherwise,” said one quoted by the newspaper.

Did the Council on American-Islamic Relations get that memo? Or the Ayatollah Khomeini? Or is it only French actresses who get hauled into court for having the temerity to “suggest otherwise”?

I’m no “expert in the Muslim faith,” but surely one reason Muslims don’t keep dogs is because so many infidels are eager to be their poodles.

If I may offer my view as I think there's some misinformation regarding dogs from an Islamic perspective.

Dogs, like any other animals, should be treated well. They discouraged from being kept as pets because of hygiene purposes and they may also be likely carriers of diseases. Link to cdc (Animals: Dogs | CDC Healthy Pets Healthy People)

It is not a sin to touch dogs. In fact, dogs can be used for work such as on a farm or guard duty. It is important to wash up after touching dogs, especially before performing daily rituals.

Some people are more sensitive than others. I usually find that the more sensitive people are the ones that do not have enough knowledge to justify their beliefs. Hence, they rely on the word of others on how they should act.

A person becomes Muslim by testifying to the divine right to worship. It is the crux of Islamic belief in God, even all of Islam. It is considered the central message of all prophets and messengers sent by God - the message of Abraham, Isaac, Ishmael, Moses, the Hebrew prophets, Jesus, and Muhammad, may the mercy and blessings of God be upon them. For instance, Moses declared.

learn islamic arabic
Your going to have fun here, i can tell. :)

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back