PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Clayton: Shaun Ellis deal worth $5M

Status
Not open for further replies.

TB=TD

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
ClaytonESPN (TV / Radio Personality) Jets offered him $910,000 on a one-year. Patriots offered him $4 million and $1 M incentives.

Are you kidding me?

Last edited by a moderator:
Calyton: Ellis deal worth $5M

RapSheet and Clayton report Ellis deal $4m wtih $1m incentives

Re: The Patriots paid Ellis 5 million?

This is Belichick's way of saying FU to the Jets. It will be totally worth it. Don't worry.

Guess our free agency is pretty much over. Just one year anyways. Hope he's worth it.

Assuming he still has gas in the tank, I fail to see the problem.

It's not a bad deal on the level of, say, TBC's last contract.

Re: Calyton: Ellis deal worth $5M

RapSheet and Clayton report Ellis deal $4m wtih $1m incentives

Already posted this thread:)

I'm luke warm on the Pats signing Ellis to begin with, but I really don't like paying him $4 million in salary.

Anybody wanna guess what the second most active thread on ganggreen is right now?:rocker:

OK. Did not see that coming.

How do incentives effect the cap does it go into next year or do they have to leave room for it this year?

I'm luke warm on the Pats signing Ellis to begin with, but I really don't like paying him $4 million in salary.

My thoughts exactly.

I'm happy to be addressing the pass rush, but not sold on Ellis. I really hope Clayton is wrong on this though.

If not, hope for the best.

The Pats had to pay up to get him to come over so it had be a great deal for him. For reference does anyone know how much he made last year?

Why? it is a one year deal that doesn't impact the Cap in future seasons. What is the negative? He kills us and now he gives us a needed boost in pass rush. I like it alot.

I don't mind that for a 1 year deal. If it turns out to not be worth it, at least there's no future consequences.

That's a lot of money, and speaks to how much the Jets were low-balling him. It's actually almost right on the spot of what I thought he might get when I was doing projections before free agency. Usually I'm way, WAY off. :p

If he plays as well as last year, he's worth it. I don't know how any Patriots fan could think otherwise given what he did to us. With Wilfork and Hayneworth next to him, he'll have every opportunity to excel. If he falters... hey, at least he won't be dominating our line anymore.

What was his last contract with the Jets worth?

I think it silly to compare our contract to one that was refused as a lowball.

According to a jets fan he could make up to 1.5m more this year than last year

Last edited:

$2.5 mil to play for the Patriots, $2.5 mil NOT to play for the Jets!

Whatever. It's not my money and if he makes a difference this year and come playoff time, it'll be worth it. He destroyed us last year in the playoffs. Maybe he can do the same for us. I just see who we have at DE and know that we need help.

BB is the one looking at tape 24/7, not us. He knows what Ellis can do. I personally am high on this signing. Ellis is intelligent enough to be all over the field, and drop back in coverage. A DE with the ability to drop back in coverage, is icing on the cake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back