PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Clayton posts preliminary cap projections for all 32 teams

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they restructure Sanchez' contract, amortize a big bonus to restructure, and he continues to be a mediocre QB..the Jets will be screwed for another 4-5 years..

I say....GO FOR IT Tanny !!! :rocker:

Tamper is cheap. They're a prima facie example why the NFLPA* (justifiably in my view) want a high salary floor. Tamper signed lots of young players. Got a blind squirrel hit the QB lottery and drafted some good players. But despite contending for a playoff spot into December, they couldn't fill the stadium and had weekly blackouts.

Tampa HAS TO SIGN SOME PLAYERS NOW, they new CBA says that you have to spend to 90% of the cap, so teams like them are going to go on a spending spree.......

If they restructure Sanchez' contract, amortize a big bonus to restructure, and he continues to be a mediocre QB..the Jets will be screwed for another 4-5 years..

I say....GO FOR IT Tanny !!! :rocker:

Well, the question with that is the 90% rule. How is that going to be structured? The Jets have a lot of amortized bonuses next year to begin with. At some point they may have too much dead money to get above the 90% salary floor. Granted there is talk of it being a 3 year average that might help them doing this.

Tampa HAS TO SIGN SOME PLAYERS NOW, they new CBA says that you have to spend to 90% of the cap, so teams like them are going to go on a spending spree.......

You can also use that money to simply extend your own and frontload more of those deals... And you can do that say in December when you've had another season to evaluate them...

Tamper is cheap. They're a prima facie example why the NFLPA* (justifiably in my view) want a high salary floor. Tamper signed lots of young players. Got a blind squirrel hit the QB lottery and drafted some good players. But despite contending for a playoff spot into December, they couldn't fill the stadium and had weekly blackouts.

I don't know enough about Tampa to make specific observations. But they did win a SB back in 2002...and they landed in a situation not unfamiliar thereafter where guys reaching UFA defected to get big deals to rival their rings. Most of them didn't pan out elsewhere. Then they were in cap trouble anyway because Gruden didn't know how to manage a roster for cap compliance and he wanted to field optional QB's and the situation began to unravel with him having one foot out the door. Once he was gone they were in a situation where what you do is not just turn your roster over, you turn the whole organizational roster over. And you rebuild through the draft and FA. But until you're sure you have the right guy in charge you tread lightly, let alone facing the labor uncertainty they faced from 2008 on.

Remember, for smart teams it's not about talent collection. It's about team building and system installation and development. KC is going through the same thing with Pioli. And small market teams can't afford to make mistakes because they don't have the revenue to regroup annually like Snyder does...

Tampa's spending has been questioned ever since they purchased a certain famous soccer team.

Cutting Bryan Thomas seems nuts to me. He's arguably got the friendliest contract on the team. He lead the team in sacks, and he's only making 3.7 million for the year. Given that many thought they had troubles rushing the passer last season, they've got no upcoming youth behind him, and their 3rd and 4th team leaders in sacks are already FAs, I doubt they could put his cap value to any better use. Tomlinson seems like a feasible cut at 3.1 million, but he was their leading rusher last year, and nobody behind him really lived up to expectations. The point is, there's no one they could cut without obviously harming the team.

Restructuring Sanchez and signing Harris long term seems the obvious answer, but that can only go so far. Harris will be looking for at least 8 million a year, and given that his fellow (and certainly inferior) ILB Bart Scott is already making that, he may even end up closer to 9 million a year. They'll likely only be able to save 1-2 million off the franchise tag with him. As for restructuring Sanchez, I haven't a clue. Tons of QBs have done it in the past, and it's not like Sanchez is going to give up any money. What's the history for these sorts of deals? What's usually gained?

Bryan Thomas does only make $3.7M, but none of it is dead money if he's cut. If he's cut, all of it goes directly to cap savings. Tomlinson is another candidate, since they can save over $3M against the cap by cutting him. Of course, then you have to replace him, so a lot of that comes down to how they feel about Greene and McKnight.

As far as Sanchez, I'm not sure exactly how that would work. Some of this year's base salary would likely be converted to a bonus that could be spread against the cap over several years, while, on a cash flow basis, he would still get the money now. Considering that $14.75M of his cap hit is base salary, there should be a bunch of flexibility there, I would think.

Restructuring Sanchez just pushes the Jets problem out a year and doesn't buy enough to replace the losses they will incur this year...

No way they can afford Holmes....unless they sacrifice 3 or 4 other positions ( and they may not even have enough cap space )....I think there will be plenty of $$$ floating around for someone to give him a big contract....

They may have to rely on Kyle Wilson more when Cro leaves..Good luck with that ! :eek:

Bryan Thomas does only make $3.7M, but none of it is dead money if he's cut. If he's cut, all of it goes directly to cap savings. Tomlinson is another candidate, since they can save over $3M against the cap by cutting him. Of course, then you have to replace him, so a lot of that comes down to how they feel about Greene and McKnight.

As far as Sanchez, I'm not sure exactly how that would work. Some of this year's base salary would likely be converted to a bonus that could be spread against the cap over several years, while, on a cash flow basis, he would still get the money now. Considering that $14.75M of his cap hit is base salary, there should be a bunch of flexibility there, I would think.

I don't really know how contract restructures work. I smell an opportunity to educate myself :D

Hypothetically speaking: if Sanchez's base salary is $14.75M, and he has three years left on his contract, what's his minimum cap hit for 2011? If that whole thing is converted to a bonus, $5M or so would be added to each of his 2012 and 2013 salaries, and then his 2011 hit would be reduced by nearly 10M?

Last edited:
Honestly, it's hard to see how they resign anyone given they already trimmed their obvious fat (Woody, Jenkins, Taylor, Gholston). Signing Harris long term may free up a couple million, but not enough to pay ANY of their free agents a starter's salary.

I'm not an expert, and I'm actually expecting them to pull a rabbit out of their hat in some way. As far as I can tell, they can't sign anyone, so I'm guessing they'll manage to resign a couple players. But Holmes and Cromartie could each pull as much as or maybe even more than 8 million a year on the open market, and it's hard to believe there's anything the Jets could do to keep those two around.

The deal most Jet fans are relying on is the redoing of Sanchez's contract. He's on the books for 19MM this season. They all claim that by restructuring that they can save around 10MM in cap space by extending him with a big signing bonus and a lot of years

That might be true, but they have SOOOO many big money FAs to redo (Harris, Cromartie, Edwards, Holmes, Poole, Smith, as well as a few back up players, I don't see how they can sign more than half of these guys and if they do, I don't don't see how they can participate in ANY significant way in FA

Close. You are forgetting that there is a minimum slary requirent, so all of the salary cannot be converted to bonus. Also, what you have described is a restructure. He could also get an extension which would have the effect of spreading the salary over more years. Of course, then you have to deal with spreading the new bonus. This bonus can be given in 2 years to reduce its effect on 2011. Lots can be done with a willing player.

I don't really know how contract restructures work. I smell an opportunity to educate myself :D

Hypothetically speaking: if Sanchez's base salary is $14.75M, and he has three years left on his contract, what's his minimum cap hit for 2011? If that whole thing is converted to a bonus, $5M or so would be added to each of his 2012 and 2013 salaries, and then his 2011 hit would be reduced by nearly 10M?

I like the idea of tying up Sanchez for more years..he's hot/cold and not very accurate.....The Jets will be saddled with his cap hits for quite awhile....

If he turns into another Manning/Brady then it's a good move by Jets...but odds are aginst that unless he takes a big leap this year....

There are no other minimums.

[QUOTE=mgteich;2593488 Is there any minimum salary requirement beyond just the various experience minimums? Like, is there a % of a contract that has to be salary?

Many thanks for all the help, and to anyone who else who feels like enlightening me.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are no other minimums.

Yes, but under the previous CBA there were maximum salary increases, right?
Wasn't that the 30% rule - something in the neighborhood?
You could not have a salary history that goes $1mm-$1mm-$1mm-$10mm.
There was a max amount by which the salary could be increased.

So why not, then, give the player $10mm more in bonus, in the example above, and just go $1mm-$1mm-$1mm-$1mm? Because the player keeps the signing bonus, typically. All the risk reverts to the club, and the player has little incentive to excel.

The way around that is to offer a huge balloon figure at the end, like the first example, and figure you will restructure or release the player.

So, the 30% rule (or whatever the specific figure was) tends to prevent that type of abuse.

Honestly, it's hard to see how they resign anyone given they already trimmed their obvious fat (Woody, Jenkins, Taylor, Gholston). Signing Harris long term may free up a couple million, but not enough to pay ANY of their free agents a starter's salary.

I'm not an expert, and I'm actually expecting them to pull a rabbit out of their hat in some way. As far as I can tell, they can't sign anyone, so I'm guessing they'll manage to resign a couple players. But Holmes and Cromartie could each pull as much as or maybe even more than 8 million a year on the open market, and it's hard to believe there's anything the Jets could do to keep those two around.
The Jets also have only something like 30 players who were on the roster last year and the rest of the top 51 (and the other 5-6 they have) are guys who were not in the league last year and signed to future contracts, or guys from the practice squad. And some of those 30 are end of the bench JAG guys who are borderline to make an NFL team.
Realistically it would take another 5-10 mill just to get the bottom half of the roster up to mediocrity.
They still must sign the draft choices and find staters at both WR positions, S, CB, KR, OLB, DE, RT just to get back to where they were last year aside from the lack of depth.
"we love Rex" is quickly turning into "No hometown discount" too.

"we love Rex" is quickly turning into "No hometown discount" too.

The brash, attention seeking attitude the entire team has embraced fosters entitlement, not selflessness. Big money and a chance to grow their individual brand is what they'll all be looking for.

Homerschooled ...visiting Miguel's Patriot Cap page may tie some things together for you (If you haven't already been there).....:D

Miguel's UNOFFICIAL 2011 Patriots Salary Cap Information Page

Miguel puts a ton of info on each player there........:rocker:

Thanks. I've been there quite a few times, and to other teams' equivalents too, so I think I'm pretty familiar with the actual caps and salaries and things like that. Like I said, I'm just not sure how teams go about significantly changing yearly cap hits on individual contracts.

The best part of the whole Jets fiasco is that they have a bottom 10 QB with a 17M + cap hit.

Granted it will be fairly easy to shed a good junk of that this season because so much is salary but the Jets are in a tough position. They can save cap cutting a few guys, restructure Sanchize, and sign Harris long-term.

But as Andy correctly notes, they have about half a team right now. They can either try to build some depth with actual NFL caliber players or put all of their eggs in a few baskets like Holmes and Cro.

I don't see how they can come out of this even as good as they were last year. And they have been remarkably lucky injury-wise lately too which is how they get by with zero depth.

In the end I think all of those other teams with a ton of cap room will make their decision for them and drive up the prices on Holmes and Cromartie. I see them resigning Edwards. They can have him.

90% does not mean 90% every year. There is some type of 3 year average. I think any team can be as far under 90% as they want this year and have 2 years to make up the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back