PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Clayton on Felger's show

Status
Not open for further replies.

BPF

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I just heard Clayton on Felger's show and his opinion is that this "spygate" will go on for 4 mos+ and that Walsh has a story to tell, blah, blah, blah. Felger's point was that the commish wants this all to go away. He also called Specter a fraud but said he wanted the truth to come out and maybe it takes a fraud to get the truth out there.

I think if they continue to dig they will find out that this practice is a league wide issue and they do not want to do that. In any case, I don't agree with Florio below that BB would turn into a rat ala Mangini if more info were found and he would be facing a suspension.

Thoughts??

www.profootballtalk.com

POSTED 11:38 a.m. EST, February 8, 2008

COULD SPYGATE II SNARE A TUNA?

Our own MDS (yeah, AOL, we're claiming him) makes an astute observation regarding the still-unfolding drama known in these parts as Spygate II.

If (and we know that's a big "if") it's ultimately proven that the Pats spied on the Rams' final walk-through practice prior to Super Bowl XXXVI, who besides New England coach Bill Belichick will have both legs knee deep in doo-doo?

As MDS points out, Jets coach Eric Mangini, Browns coach Romeo Crennel, and Raiders defensive coordinator Rob Ryan were all on Belichick's staff at the time (and they worked for the Patriots, too -- man, we can never get enough of that adolescent humor). To the extent that the Pats were using knowledge of plays that the Rams would run from specific formations, those three defensive coaches might have known something about it.

But let's take this a step farther. As the rumor in NFL circles goes (and it's only a rumor), Belichick warned NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell last year that if the Spygate issue ever comes up again Belichick will tell all that he knows about cheating in pro football. Even if that rumor isn't true, it's hard to imagine that any cheating (if it's happening) started in New England at the beginning of the current decade.

If he did it, Belichick likely learned it from someone else. And one of those potential someones is now the V.P. of football operations in Miami.

Belichick was Bill Parcells' defensive coordinator for two Super Bowl wins with the Giants, and later worked for him again with the Jets. Ironically, Belichick was the Steve Spagnuolo 17 years ago of a Giants team that somehow topped an AFC East team with a high-octane offense.

Look, we're not saying what will, would, or should happen here. But if Belichick gets called to the principal's office again, this time he might sing (if, of course, he has anything to sing about -- or, as the more fastidious in the crowd would say, about which to sing). And if/when he does, we can't only look at the guys who worked for him; we also need to look at the guys for whom he once worked.

To the extent that the Pats were using knowledge of plays that the Rams would run from specific formations

It's called research, and game film...

When the Rams line up in 5 wides, and faulk goe sin motion to the outside, over the past 18 weeks, he was the primary reciever...

Don't you think standard game film would uncover that?
Now if someone could show me that Rams ran formations never yet seen before, or very rarely seen that were stopped as though the Pats knew what was coming... then we can talk, but you can always chalk it up to great play by an individual that recognized a play.

Another source from SB36, says Ty Law knew on that exact play that Warner was going to be pressured and throw it poorly. During the walk through, the Rams practiced that play, as warner would take hits, and work on throwing to that exact spot.

The word is, that the Rams player failed to execute the proper route, as they practiced that play many times, as seen on tape...

I hope Walsh does have something and I hope Goodell tries to go after BB and I hope BB holds a press conference and drops a friggin nuclear bomb on the NFL and throws everyone under the bus.

I'm tired of this BS and I'm tired of ******s acting like we are the only ones to ever do it.

Another source from SB36, says Ty Law knew on that exact play that Warner was going to be pressured and throw it poorly. During the walk through, the Rams practiced that play, as warner would take hits, and work on throwing to that exact spot.
I guarantee for sure that there is NO CONTACT during walkthoughs, ESPECIALLY on the QUARTERBACK the day before the SUPER BOWL!!

In addition, NO TEAM draws up a plays that is designed for a Quarterback to throw to a certain spot in anticipation of being hit. Think about what you write before you post. Common sense, pal.

ONE ADDITIONAL NOTE: The title of this thread should be changed to "The Crypt Keeper on Felger's Show"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi7XtBv94pE
Skip Forward to the 1:25 mark

I absolutely believe Belichick would bust the crap out of th league. And he should. So far they've said "bad boy" and moved on. So Belichick has too. But if it goes further and they start to legitimately question everything he has done then it's time to say "nope, sorry guys, this is how the game is played".

What would I do if I were him and the bottom falls out ? Resign and write the book that busts the NFL wide open

Last edited:

The word is, that the Rams player failed to execute the proper route, as they practiced that play many times, as seen on tape...

are you kidding ?? Now they will break down every sack the pats had and every INT warner threw. Makes our team look like a bunch of school kids who knew nothing about football.and pray tell me how did ty law know the praticed play was being called at that right moment .
this is really getting out of hand.

This has really exceeded laughable. QBs are taught to throw in the direction of the blitz. Plus, if the blitz comes from the QBs front side and he sees it, as was the case here, does Warner really have time to turn to the other side, scan the field, and find and throw to a receiver all while an unblocked blitzer is about to deck you and possibly knock the ball out?

The answer is you throw at the receiver you already see (and thought would be open) or you take the sack. Warner, in hindsight, should have taken the sack. He just made a lousy throw and Ty Law picked it off.

I would prefer he do it anyways too. This year has been exciting (like war is exciting) but hasn't been really enjoyable. Unless this gaggle is shut up. I don't think this will ever go away.

Frankly, The Pats have been carrying this league for too long and I am sick of the flex time, "running up the score", Sphincter 48 hours before the SB, advocates of taking out Brady's knees, Walsh.......

I want Hogie, Jackson, Marshall,Marshall, Marshall, Berman, Clayton, and those candy azzed Ike and Mike's in the unemployed soup line.

Being served by that ****** Goodell.

did anyone ask clayton where the supposed tape of the walk through is.

I would prefer he do it anyways too. This year has been exciting (like war is exciting) but hasn't been really enjoyable. Unless this gaggle is shut up. I don't think this will ever go away.
Yeah, it won't happen unless he's forced to but I would LOVE Belichick to retire, tell Holley to quit his job for a year and write a 500 page book.

I want to know where the outrage is over Paul Brown outfitting Otto Graham with a radio receiver all those years ago.

Let's start being politically correct around here. His name isn't John Clayton, it's The Crypt Keeper!!

John Clayton, Florio, all these guys are poor, very poor, reporters. Why? Because the details of the walkthrough are available. The Rams ran red zone plays.

How did the Rams do in the red zone?

They were never stopped in the red zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes