PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Clayton on Daniel Graham

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do we go about franchising him?

If the Pats sign Samuel quickly, they can turn around and re-use the tag on Graham.

If the Pats sign Samuel quickly, they can turn around and re-use the tag on Graham.
Can they? Are you sure? I thought they could only designate one player a year as the team's franchise player.

Can they? Are you sure? I thought they could only designate one player a year as the team's franchise player.

You can rescind the TAG. The Seahawks did that with Hasselbeck and Alexander 2 years ago. I think it was because they got the deal done prior to the FINAL day. So the Pats and Samuel would have to get a deal done prior to the 22nd.

However, I can't see the Pats tagging Graham. I think they need to offer him a contract slightly above what they think his market value is so that he will stay. I love Graham, but he's not worth more than 3.5 mill a year at the absolute most.

Last edited:
You can rescind the TAG. The Seahawks did that with Hasselbeck and Alexander 2 years ago. I think it was because they got the deal done prior to the FINAL day. So the Pats and Samuel would have to get a deal done prior to the 22nd.

However, I can't see the Pats tagging Graham. I think they need to offer him a contract slightly above what they think his market value is so that he will stay. I love Graham, but he's not worth more than 3.5 mill a year at the absolute most.

Hasselback was never tagged. Their new GM signed him on the eve of the deadline and then tagged Alexander. And I beileve once you use the tag, even if rescinded, you cannot use it again that season.

Hasselback was never tagged. Their new GM signed him on the eve of the deadline and then tagged Alexander. And I beileve once you use the tag, even if rescinded, you cannot use it again that season.

Actually, as long as you rescind it before Feb 22nd, you can place it on another player. Pats1 mentioned this in another thread.

Cmon now who is Tommy Boy gonna clank helmets with in a pre-game ritual....Big Ben?

Actually, as long as you rescind it before Feb 22nd, you can place it on another player. Pats1 mentioned this in another thread.

Assuming the player doesn't sign his one year tender - though I can't imagine Samuel would do so at this point.

Please show me in the CBA where it says that a team can negotiate compensation for a Franchised free agent prior to him signing with another team.

Sign and trades of franchise players have happened in the past. See Tebucky Jones (old CBA) and John Abraham (new CBA). Sean Gilbert fought the franchise player tag saying that the Redskins should not be allowed to tag a player that they did not intend to keep. The Redskins won that special master ruling. The CBA allows trades of signed players.

Please show me in the CBA where it says that they can't rescind the tag and use it on another player if its before Feb 22nd deadline.

In other words, prove a negative.:rolleyes:

The CBA says:

"Except as set forth in Section 10 below, each Club shall be
permitted to designate one of its players who would otherwise be an Unrestricted Free Agent as a Franchise Player each season during the term of this Agreement."

Section 10 read as follows:
"A Club may designate a Franchise Player only during the periods and in the numbers specified in Section 1 above; otherwise, the Club’s right to such designation expires. However, a Club may designate a player to whom the Club has rights as a Franchise Player with respect to any first future League Year during the term of this Agreement for which such player is anticipated to be an Unrestricted Free Agent. For any such players, the Club shall be deemed on the first day of the first future League Year in which the designation takes effect to have automatically tendered the player a one year NFL Player Contract for the applicable average of the five largest Prior Year Salaries for players at the position category at which he played the most games during the prior League Year, or 120% of the player’s Prior-Year
Salary, whichever is greater, except as provided in Section 2(b) above. If a Club designates a player pursuant to this Section 10, the Club shall be deemed to have used the Franchise Player designation in Section 1 above for
the year in which the designation takes effect; provided, however, that if a player designated to become the Franchise Player in the future retires, suffers a career-ending injury (or an injury that prevents the player from
participating in 32 consecutive regular season games), is unavailable for the season due to non-injury circumstances beyond the control of the Club, or is assigned to another Club (other than through the waiver system) before such designation is exercised, the Club shall be entitled to designate a new Franchise Player for that League Year. Any dispute as to whether an injury is career-ending or prevents or will prevent a player from playing in 32 consecutive games shall be decided by the Impartial Arbitrator."

There is a section that talks about what happens when the tag is withdrawn - "Any of the required tenders set forth in this Section 2 may be withdrawn at any time, but if such tender is withdrawn, the player immediately becomes an Unrestricted Free Agent and thereafter is completely free to negotiate and sign a Player Contract with any Club, and any Club shall be completely free to negotiate and sign a Player Contract with any such player, without any penalty or restriction, including, but not limited to, Draft Choice Compensation between Clubs or First Refusal Rights of any kind, or any signing period." There is no mention that a team is allowed to use the franchise tag on another player. Why would the NFLPA agree to that??

Please provide an instance in which a team has rescinded a franchise tag and then use it on another player in the same season.

All I can do is to provide a source for my reasoning- the CBA.

Please show me in the CBA where it says that they can't rescind the tag and use it on another player if its before Feb 22nd deadline.

BTW, that's not the same thing as signing a franchised player and then being able to reuse the franchise tag in the same year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back