PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Clayton: Even with Peppers, Pats not Super Bowl team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: John Clayton: Even with Peppers, Pats Not Super Bowl Team!!

I am sure he is in the top tier of speed guys...but a 4.2 is pretty unbelievable. Galloway ran a 4.38 at his own combine and 4.30 was the fastest at this year's combine...so no way a 37yo runs better now than at age 21. I think he is 4.45 at best...but what do I know?

In the ESPN article published after the signing, "Although he has played 14 NFL seasons, Galloway remains one of the league's fastest players and is capable of going deep."

That does not sound like a middle of the road receiver, there was another interested team (the Steelers) and the only question sounded to be durability after an injury. He still sounds like he can move faster than most receivers and other defenders in the league. As for exact 40-times (at this point an unverified time unless he stops off at the combine and does it), who knows and who cares. The only thing that matters is what he does on the field with defenders trying to hold him on the line.

Last edited:
Clayton.... what was that crazy statement he made earlier in the year ? I forget what it was, but it was even worse than this one. DOes anyone recall ?

I know many here are bigtime ESPN haters, and that's cool, but from an objective standpoint, why would they think it's valuable to have him onboard ? Clearly not his Brad Pittness.

They have him on for the same reason they have Mort and the rest of them on: because they are good at their jobs. Despite what people here like to claim, those people are very good at getting information. The problem is that people forget the 99 accurate tidbits of information and spend hours bashing these people for the 1 tidbit they got wrong.

Does everyone really think Brady will not have atleast a few problems coming back? It all depends on how well he over comes them.
I'm not at all concerned. When Brady was dropping back and throwing passes in January that was the same time Rivers was getting hurt last year. Brady is now working on his sideways agility which is an advanced stage for this. He has a long time to go, I expect him to not miss a beat. Seriously.

Does everyone really think Brady will not have atleast a few problems coming back? It all depends on how well he over comes them.

Not really. Both Carson Palmer (who had a more serious injury) and Philip Rivers came back from ACL tears with far shorter rehab times and had Pro Bowl quality years on their return. In fact, Rivers had the best year of his career.

Brady could suffer a setback, but he isn't a scrambling QB and it wasn't his plant leg. Odds are good he will be back as good as ever.

They have him on for the same reason they have Mort and the rest of them on: because they are good at their jobs. Despite what people here like to claim, those people are very good at getting information. The problem is that people forget the 99 accurate tidbits of information and spend hours bashing these people for the 1 tidbit they got wrong.

Mort seems to be more accurate of late, and even he has had a couple of mishaps.

But still... what did Clayton say earlier in '09 that was completely crazy ?

Couldn't believe my ears when Clayton said this on ESPN radio's "The Huddle" yesterday afternoon.

Jeremy Green, Clayton's co-host, said the Patriots are already the clear favorites to win the SuperBowl (even w/o Peppers).

Later in the show Joey Galloway was interviewed and he sounded really cool. Said he was fully expecting to get his 40 time down to the 4.2's by training camp.

QB12

I hope everyone underestimates the Pats.

Under 4.3 at any age is damn fast - at 37 it is amazing.

I'm not at all concerned. When Brady was dropping back and throwing passes in January that was the same time Rivers was getting hurt last year. Brady is now working on his sideways agility which is an advanced stage for this. He has a long time to go, I expect him to not miss a beat. Seriously.
Sounds right, but just one thing though: even though he has a funky delivery, almost looking like he short-arms or shotputs the ball, I think Rivers has a stronger arm and upper body than Brady, so he can make up for a leg that's not 100% more than Brady can. Also, Rivers has youth on his side. I think Tom needs to be closer to 100% physically than Rivers does to be what he used to be.

Sounds right, but just one thing though: even though he has a funky delivery, almost looking like he short-arms or shotputs the ball, I think Rivers has a stronger arm and upper body than Brady, so he can make up for a leg that's not 100% more than Brady can. Also, Rivers has youth on his side. I think Tom needs to be closer to 100% physically than Rivers does to be what he used to be.
Agree on the youth, not sure about the upper body, Brady has gotten a lot stronger over the years. Bottom line for me, though, is hearing where he is in rehab shows he is ahead of schedule and will have some time to spare to work on anything he needs to. Honestly, I expect him to be out there the first day of training camp (with a Red Jersey of course) and working on the feel with the new leg.

What was the context of his statements? If he was just saying the Pats aren't a lock, well, we know all too well that nothing is guaranteed. And if the Pats just aren't his pick for whatever reason, I'll allow it. Of course he's WRONG, but I'll allow it. :D

But if he meant the Pats aren't even contenders, with or without Peppers...sorry, but nobody with more than two brain cells to rub together believes that. NOBODY! So, giving Clayton the benefit of the doubt, I'll assume he has at least three, and that he/ESPN spout nonsensical BS because they feel the need to throw fans of the other 31 teams a bone once in a while!

Last edited:
Brady has gotten a lot stronger over the years. Bottom line for me, though, is hearing where he is in rehab shows he is ahead of schedule and will have some time to spare to work on anything he needs to. Honestly, I expect him to be out there the first day of training camp (with a Red Jersey of course) and working on the feel with the new leg.

:eek::eek::eek: What did I miss when away from Patsfans? :confused:

:eek::eek::eek: What did I miss when away from Patsfans? :confused:

ntm5-1-07-7s.jpg

Reports are that he looks good.

That may be true with most of the analysts, but not Clayton. Most of the time Clayton is just reporting what he hears around the league, but when asked to give predictions he is usually wrong the majority of the time. Let's not forget that ESPN fired Salisbury over Clayton; They claimed it was that one incident, but that was just an excuse to get rid of him. ESPN used to have Clayton and Salisbury on together every week and Salisbury would call Clayton on everything he got wrong.....apparently that's a no-no at ESPN.

Looking at track records, ESPN might break a story first but I won't believe it until someone like Schefter or Reiss confirm it.

Please. It's easy to present the facts that you've learned. The idiots at ESPN get deservedly massacred for being bottom of the barrel in the analysis department.

Please. It's easy to present the facts that you've learned. The idiots at ESPN get deservedly massacred for being bottom of the barrel in the analysis department.

Their analysis is just fine. We live in an information age where everything is happening in a 24 hour cycle and they are forced to 'analyze' things the very moment something breaks, no matter how preliminary the information appears to be. It's no surprise that they aren't 100% correct 100% of the time, since nobody is. Besides, why the hell would anyone care about any analysis done by anyone in the media as anything other than as a curiosity and data point? The media is there to provide the information. It's up to the viewers/listeners/readers to analyze the information.

Wow, i must say, you have an awfully high opinion of espn.
I don't.

Wow, i must say, you have an awfully high opinion of espn.
I don't.

I don't have a high opinion of ESPN at all. I think that network lost its way a long time ago. That doesn't mean that the people on air don't know what they are doing.

I don't have a high opinion of ESPN at all. I think that network lost its way a long time ago. That doesn't mean that the people on air don't know what they are doing.

I don't know. I don't trust a single thing that comes out of Bristol.

:)

The fixed up leg, not brand new :D

Au contrar, ever hear of Bionics? It isn't a coincidence that they cancelled the Bionic Woman just in time for Brady's surgery. All this infection thing was a ruse for them to replace his leg with a Bionic one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back