PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Class of DT - Which one do you like?

KevinFaulk-33

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
In the last two drafts the Patriots picked Easley and Brown. Both picks seems very good, Brown in particular is one of the few rookies that played a lot under BB.

Knighton and Branch are both on one year contracts and Chris Jones is good depth but he last played in SB49. I think there is room for another high-round addition.

Is there a possible Branch substitute that can grown behind the scenes and be ready next year? Or do you prefer another rusher in the mold of Easley?

Can you list some names?

Great DT class from what I've seen. The issue is where to allocate draft resources -- do we shoot for the moon and trade up for someone like Butler or Bullard, or do we let the draft fall to us and take a Jones or Johnson or Ridgeway? I have very little difference in grade with most of the DTs in this year's draft, and I think we can comfortably wait until 61 or even our picks in the 90s to address.

If we do go all in for a top tier DT, which positions do we skip early as a result? OT? WR? RB? Those all seem like areas of concern. The opportunity cost may be too great for us to trade up.

Great DT class from what I've seen. The issue is where to allocate draft resources -- do we shoot for the moon and trade up for someone like Butler or Bullard, or do we let the draft fall to us and take a Jones or Johnson or Ridgeway? I have very little difference in grade with most of the DTs in this year's draft, and I think we can comfortably wait until 61 or even our picks in the 90s to address.

If we do go all in for a top tier DT, which positions do we skip early as a result? OT? WR? RB? Those all seem like areas of concern. The opportunity cost may be too great for us to trade up.
The Patriots have to draft a top tier DT. Too good a class to pass up. Also need the OT. The WR's
and RB's are not so hot this year.

My favorite "in range" (meaning I expect him to be available when we go) DT is Austin Johnson. With Knighton on a one year deal, the Pats can draft Johnson and bring him along slowly before they introduce a DT tandem of Brown and Johnson in 2017. Guy can stack and shed blockers just as good, if not better, than most DT's I've seen in the draft, is a force against the run, and was a capable pass rusher at Penn State. I'd take him if he's available at 60.

Can't really go wrong with any of the big DTs in the second, as far as I'm concerned. It's a good year for building the trenches.

My favorite "in range" (meaning I expect him to be available when we go) DT is Austin Johnson. With Knighton on a one year deal, the Pats can draft Johnson and bring him along slowly before they introduce a DT tandem of Brown and Johnson in 2017. Guy can stack and shed blockers just as good, if not better, than most DT's I've seen in the draft, is a force against the run, and was a capable pass rusher at Penn State. I'd take him if he's available at 60.

Like it. I've pegged Johnson as the ideal long-term Branch replacement. I'd certainly take him at 60.

Some later round options:

Willie Henry, Michigan - one of the most athletic in the draft. Would probably need to get him in round three.

Jihad Ward, Illinois - Might need to get him early in round three with a trade back. His combine numbers didn't reflect his on tape athleticism but he has great size and sthleticism on tape. More of a 5-tech though.

Sheldon Day, Notre Dame - More of a 3-tech only but he did run linebacker drills at the combine so he has decent athleticism. Maybe an interesting piece that could be used creatively.

Javon Hargreave, S Carolina State - Dominated the shrine game. 34.5" vertical shows his explosion.

Note - I've yet to watch Maliek Collins or Adolphus Washington.

Some later round options:

Willie Henry, Michigan - one of the most athletic in the draft. Would probably need to get him in round three.

Jihad Ward, Illinois - Might need to get him early in round three with a trade back. His combine numbers didn't reflect his on tape athleticism but he has great size and sthleticism on tape. More of a 5-tech though.

Sheldon Day, Notre Dame - More of a 3-tech only but he did run linebacker drills at the combine so he has decent athleticism. Maybe an interesting piece that could be used creatively.

Javon Hargreave, S Carolina State - Dominated the shrine game. 34.5" vertical shows his explosion.

Note - I've yet to watch Maliek Collins or Adolphus Washington.

Washington just doesn't seem like a DT that you would like. From what I saw when I watched him, he looked like a guy that didn't have great instincts and took himself out of the play a lot. You may see something different, though.

Washington just doesn't seem like a DT that you would like. From what I saw when I watched him, he looked like a guy that didn't have great instincts and took himself out of the play a lot. You may see something different, though.

You're right, that doesn't sound like my kind of guy.

Josh Norris' mock draft had the Patriots taking Joel Heath of Michigan State later in the draft citing his all around athleticism as a positive citing Doug Kyed's chart:

Jones also showed up as one of the top 3 DTs with pressure in under 2.5 seconds, I believe. He's quietly one of the best scheme fits I've seen in a long time, yet he's getting almost no first round buzz. Pretty strange if you ask me.

Jones also showed up as one of the top 3 DTs with pressure in under 2.5 seconds, I believe. He's quietly one of the best scheme fits I've seen in a long time, yet he's getting almost no first round buzz. Pretty strange if you ask me.

I'm pretty sure Daniel Jeremiah put Jones in the first round in his latest mock. Just checking, Pete Prisco and Lance Zierlein do too. I think his stock is rising. I've pretty much written off any chance of him being there at 60. I also think his character risks make him someone I wouldn't trade up for. At his best though, he might be the best DT in the class.

Edit: BTW. I'm all in Calhoun now thanks to you. Just been watching him. Amazing burst to close to the QB.

I had pegged Chris Jones, but "big draft" media has caught on and now I see him being mocked in the 1st round. I think he has Richard Seymour type qualities.
Austin Johnson is a good fit. Very similar in play to last years pick Malcom Brown.
I like Willie Henry as well.

Edit: BTW. I'm all in Calhoun now thanks to you. Just been watching him. Amazing burst to close to the QB.

Are you thinking of trading up fro Calhoun?

Are you thinking of trading up fro Calhoun?

I did in my last mock and I have him in that position on my big board. I wouldn't go up that far, I'd use a third. I wouldn't say it's a must trade, just an option.

I see us having a bunch of LDEs in Long, Nink and Flowers and maybe Sheard -better against the run than pass - and having a RDE whose job is to get to the QB without surrendering too much against the run, is a position we need in the long term.

I had pegged Chris Jones, but "big draft" media has caught on and now I see him being mocked in the 1st round. I think he has Richard Seymour type qualities.
Austin Johnson is a good fit. Very similar in play to last years pick Malcom Brown.
I like Willie Henry as well.

As hard as it is for me to admit, I don't think Jones will last until 60 anymore.

As hard as it is for me to admit, I don't think Jones will last until 60 anymore.

He plays very tall, but his overall skill set is very attractive to teams. You are probably right about him going earlier than 60.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back