Welcome to PatsFans.com

Class moves by the Sox and Bruins....

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by DaBruinz, Apr 20, 2013.

1. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +363 / 24 / -48

#50 Jersey

The outpouring of support that the Bruins and Red Sox have shown has been amazing. Even what the Patriots have shown has been excellent considering it is their off-season.

Is it me or have the Celtics been non-existent in showing support?? I've heard nothing out of them. Granted, I don't follow basketball worth a damn, but I am still very surprised that I've heard almost nothing about them or their players showing any sort of support for the City this past week. If they have, I'd love for someone to post links..

Here are links to the Bruins Fans singing the Anthem:
    Bruins Fans Take Over for Rene Rancourt, Sing National Anthem During Emotional Pregame Ceremony (Video) | Boston Bruins | NESN.com

The Bruins Tribute:
    Bruins Boston Marathon Tribute Video 4/17/13 - YouTube

And the Sox Tribute:
    MLB Supports Boston | Red Sox honor those affected in Marathon tragedy - Video | redsox.com: Multimedia

And the Anthem and Papi:
    Boston stronger: Sox pay tribute to victims | redsox.com: News
  2. Brady_to_Moss

Brady_to_Moss Revis Island is here PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +692 / 6 / -2

#95 Jersey

3. DaBruinz

Ratings:
    +363 / 24 / -48

#50 Jersey

I saw about Keith Yandle. Also saw about the UMass Football team jerseys for the Spring Game.

That's why I am so curious about the Celtics.. I mean.. really???
  4. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,236 / 9 / -7

#75 Jersey

The Celtics are the only team currently playing that hasn't had a home game opportunity since the Marathon bombing- - so they haven't been able to do a pregame ceremony, jumbotron film, etc.

But, all you had to do was Google:

Celtics pledge support to One Fund through sale of shirts -Celtics blog - Boston Globe basketball news

The yellow warm-up shirts Celtics players wore Saturday during their game vs. the Knicks will be sold as part of a fundraiser for the The One Fund Boston, raising money for victims of the Boston Marathon bombings.

Adidas created 2,620 of the shirts, and 100 percent of the proceeds will go to The One Fund Boston. The shirts will be available to consumers at Celtics.com/shop, NBAStore.com, adidas.com, the ProShop at the TD Garden, the NBA Store in New York as well as adidas retail locations.

The Celtics are also pledging $100,000 from the Shamrock Foundation. In addition, the team is providing ticket holders for the cancelled April 16 game vs the Indiana Pacers the opportunity to donate their refund for that game. Celtics fans may also make direct donations through the Shamrock Foundation.

Also - Further details on the charitable efforts of the Shamrock Foundation for the Onebostonfund:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...patch-boston-marathon-bombing-knicks/2099695/

"....The organization also announced on Saturday several initiatives to support victims of the bombing. The Boston Celtics Shamrock Foundation has pledged to raise $200,000 for The One Fund Boston. The Shamrock Foundation will donate $100,000 and plans to raise another $100,000...."
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  5. DaBruinz

Ratings:
    +363 / 24 / -48

#50 Jersey

Shmessy - Thanks for the info. As for Googling it, it's easier to ask people who follow the game. :D
  6. shmessy

Ratings:
    +1,236 / 9 / -7

#75 Jersey

No prob - - fully understand.

I'm sure if they had a homegame during or immediately after the ordeal, they would have put on a beautiful and moving ceremony. As it stands, their first homegame since the Marathon won't come until Friday April 26th.
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  7. shmessy

Ratings:
    +1,236 / 9 / -7

#75 Jersey

8. Get it shawtaay

Get it shawtaay Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

#32 Jersey

Thoughts on Papi's choice of language?

I mean it got me pumped up (hard to get a man out of his chair fist pumping), but I don't have young children, and I'm sure if I did I would have responded very differently...
  9. PatsSox363804

PatsSox363804 Rookie

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0

I'm sure every kid there heard multiple F bombs during Bailey's save attempt.
  10. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,087 / 6 / -23

#61 Jersey

For a family-oriented public event, it was poor form. He would've gotten the same response with a better choice of words.
  11. signbabybrady

signbabybrady On the Roster

Ratings:
    +176 / 1 / -1

#24 Jersey

My Grandmother was good with it.
  12. DaBruinz

Ratings:
    +363 / 24 / -48

#50 Jersey

Thanks for sharing that, Shmessy.. Watching the videos today sent chills across my body the same way the tribute videos did from 9/11.
  13. resdubwhite

resdubwhite Rookie

Ratings:
    +76 / 0 / -0

No Jersey Selected

And much much worse in my house.
    It would have been horrible had he blown it.

its strange what sport can do for a town/city in moments like that. Yesterays win meant so much to so many.
  14. Fencer

Fencer Rookie

Ratings:
    +128 / 2 / -15

#12 Jersey

At Madison Square Garden last night, before the first game of the playoffs, Bostonians helped carry in the flag, and Paul Pierce spoke before the game.

But no, the Celtics haven't had a home game since the bombing. They canceled the one scheduled for that night (and it wasn't replayed). They'll first have one late next week (their first home game will be the third of the series).
  15. RhodyPatriot

RhodyPatriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +24 / 12 / -5

Given the serious and weighty issues that many parents have had to address with their kids since the bombings somehow I don't think one rather "choice" yet amazingly appropriate word from Big Papi is going to present any problem at all.
  16. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Thanks Shmes. Even tho I have not lived in the Greater Boston area for decades, I still have my accent. Watching that video and hearing the words felt so good. Yesterday, I was driving around in really crazy traffic. When people cut me off, I'd look at them and my finger would tap the "B" on my baseball hat.
  17. PATRIOTSFANINPA

PATRIOTSFANINPA Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I am a big fan of the Phoenix Coyotes and am even prouder of them with that gesture.....I was a fan since they were the ORIGINAL Winnipeg Jets
  18. ewg_gestalt

ewg_gestalt Rookie

Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0

Since the Red Sox's pregame tribute was broadcast on both local and national television, there was of course the possibility that the FCC might step in and levy some fines. However, according to the chairman of the FCC:
    So I guess the FCC are wicked cool with Big Papi. :rocker:
  19. ALP

ALP Rookie

Ratings:
    +45 / 2 / -0

thats kinda awesome, nothing is in a vacuum, gotta take circumstances into account
  20. DaBruinz

Ratings:
    +363 / 24 / -48

#50 Jersey

Unfortunately, MLB has since censored it..