PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Clark Judge on Thomas signing

Status
Not open for further replies.

PromisedLand

Virtual Internet Person
Reaction score
Pats ideal destination for LB Thomas
New England typically goes low-ball when it plays the free-agent market, but not this year. Not by reaching an agreement with linebacker Adalius Thomas.
Thomas was my top free agent out there, and the Patriots are the ideal spot for the guy. He's perfect for teams that play a variety of defenses, with Thomas rotating from linebacker to defensive back to defensive lineman.
Thomas can play almost anywhere, and he demonstrated it again and again last year with the Ravens. Against Cincinnati, for instance, he lined up opposite Chad Johnson when the wide receiver was split to the outside. Then he rode him out of bounds.
Which means he's the ideal fit for New England, a club that plays a 4-3 one minute, then turns into a 3-4 the next. The Patriots beat you by confusing you with their defensive schemes, and Thomas will allow coach Bill Belichick to try a multitude of looks -- with Thomas moved in and out of positions.
Thomas is someone offenses have to account for, but good luck finding him. My guess is the Patriots play him wherever he wants to play -- and I'm talking on a down-to-down basis.
Losing Thomas was a setback for Baltimore. Losing him to the Patriots is a setback for the rest of the AFC. He makes a good defense better. Much better.

http://www.sportsline.com/columns/weblogs/entry/10033019

Last edited:
:D Spot on analysis. The Patriots made a hell of a statement with the A.D. signing. And to think, they might not even be done! :rocker:

Reading stuff like that makes we want to wet myself.

Just bumping this up...(not because of all the bodily function discussion, just because Judge deserves a nod for describing so perfectly WHY we're all psyched about Thomas.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing