PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

clark judge on branch trade

Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks for the link.
That guy seems to "get it".

Brownfan80 said:
That's a pretty good spin on the whole thing. It makes me feel a little better anyway.
Assume the Pats collect his fines, the financial equation is mildly interesting:

Approx $500K in fines (I believe Miguel expected them to be credited to next years salary cap).
$1,045M 2006 salary - I assume it's still part of this season's salary cap and is now available.
A first round draft pick.

Seattle is spending Top 5 draft pick money, granted it's on a known commodity, but still it's a stretch for what he has produced to date.
They are also giving up a first round pick, presumably a player signed to a 5 year contract worth $X million.

They invested a fair chunk into Deion Branch - almost as much as they reportedly spent on Nate Burleson. At least I think this one will give them some return.

Box_O_Rocks said:
Assume the Pats collect his fines, the financial equation is mildly interesting:

Approx $500K in fines (I believe Miguel expected them to be credited to next years salary cap).

I never said that. I pretty sure that I said that fines do not count against the cap.

Miguel said:
I never said that. I pretty sure that I said that fines do not count against the cap.
H'mm, my memory is easily challengeable - still, someone had asked the question about how and when the fine money was applied to capology. Maybe I was confusing them with a question on bonus money that the Pats might have gone after...:confused:

Nice article by Judge.

He thinks a first round pick was too much for Seattle to pay, and I kind of agree.

Also, the people who say we are ruined without Branch must surely realize that he wasn't going to play here anyway. That was apparent from the time Chayut didn't counteroffer.

Look at it this way. The Pats used a second round pick on Branch. They get four good years out of him at rookie rates, and end up with a first round pick. What team wouldn't like to do that will ALL their second round picks?

The article had good intentions but was rushed I think. Keenan McCardell was a typo, I believe he meant to say Keyshawn Johnson. I don't think McCardell was ever a Buc or am I mistaken?

Also, what Philly gave to Baltimore to acquire TO was a horrible example to pick. Baltimore took what they could fearing the Niners would lose their case in arbitration. There had to be better examples to choose from.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back