Clark Judge article

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackglass3

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10856454

Specifically, he says: Has any defending Super Bowl champion had less love than this year's New York Giants?

Um, yeah, Clark. Do the 2002 New England Patriots ring a bell?

The Giants aren't getting respect, and with good reason. It was a fluke victory, just like the Pats win in 2001. This is not a team that is set up for years...they got hot at the right time and rode that to a Super Bowl, much like the 01 Pats and 05 Steelers. And how did both teams fare the next year? Exactly.

Specifically, he says: Has any defending Super Bowl champion had less love than this year's New York Giants?

Pats got a lot more respect than the Giants do. Pats were called a one-year wonder, which annoyed me, but that at least gives credit for that one year. The Giants are being dismissed by everyone, not just us, as a total fluke.

Pats got a lot more respect than the Giants do. Pats were called a one-year wonder, which annoyed me, but that at least gives credit for that one year. The Giants are being dismissed by everyone, not just us, as a total fluke.

the fluke bowl name doesnt come from nowhere...LOL

The difference between the 01 Pats and the 07 Giants is that the Giants have been in the playoffs for 3 straight years now. In fact the only teams who can say that are the Pats, Colts, and Seattle. So while that game itself was a fluke, the Giants have been competitive for a few years and played a couple of real nice games in the playoffs, specifically at Dallas and Green Bay.

I'm surprised so many here think the Giants are just going to fizzle down into obscurity. They have a great pass rush, a good young OL, a young QB who emerged in the postseason, and their only significant loss was Kawika Mitchell.

the reason most SB losers had such bad post SB seasons has to do with the Cap and how the majority of teams manage the cap.

The vast majority of teams manage their cap to peak for 1-2 years and take a shot at the whole ball of wax. The exceptions have been the Colts and the Patriots.

The SB losers are often those guys at the end of their 2 year cap surge and after the loss they end up paying the piper of the deferred cap hits and trash the team.

obviously that won't happen / isn't happening to the pats. So I don't put much into his commenting that it could happen to pats too. Only way it does is if everybody thinks they need to blitz rush us all the time and Brady gets hurt as a result (after blowing the first 6 suckers out who try that strategy by 40+ pts).

Judge's comment that Cowboys lost their last 4-5 PO games and Giants won their last 4 has one crucial fallacy. Cowboys is a 5 year statistical trend - ok; but Giants is a 1 year statistical abnormality. 4 games in one playoff season does not make a reliable pattern.

As for his comment that they are more disrespected because they aren't predicted to win their division......

Well they haven't won their division even last year either. so that some are predicting another team winning in their division (one of the most competitive in nfl) is not a big stretch.

I don't recall fully who was predicted to win the AFCE after Pats won in 2001. (was it us or the jesters?). But i think we were given reasonable chances to win it. So personally i don't think we should take offense that he claims they are being more disrespected then Pats were back then at least that one portion of his argument makes sense.

But I think his whole argument about disrespect is silly. they were a bit of a fluke and unless they hit it big again with this year's draft picks; with everyone getting up to play against them - I dont see them doing a repeat. Most reasonable analysts are probably thinking the same. Dallas is investing $$ to make their 2 year run and they probably will beat giants out this year. But the NFL is unpredictable - which is why we watch.

My take is that the Giants finally fulfilled some of thier talent in the playoffs this past year. If you look at thier last 2 or 3 seasons, they've had some great talent and a good coach, but it was always undermined by internally squabbling and bickering and just plain lack of discipline. Coughlin, late this year, was finally able to silence Tiki, Shockey et al and get the rest of the team to buy into him.

But thats just my 2 cents

The difference between the 01 Pats and the 07 Giants is that the Giants have been in the playoffs for 3 straight years now. In fact the only teams who can say that are the Pats, Colts, and Seattle. So while that game itself was a fluke, the Giants have been competitive for a few years and played a couple of real nice games in the playoffs, specifically at Dallas and Green Bay.

I'm surprised so many here think the Giants are just going to fizzle down into obscurity. They have a great pass rush, a good young OL, a young QB who emerged in the postseason, and their only significant loss was Kawika Mitchell.
On the other hand, the 08 Giants were playing suspect football right up until their season ending game vs the Pats, whereas the 01 Pats had established themselves as a solid if not surprising contender when they swept the last 6 and 8 of the last 9 regular season games.

The Giants aren't getting respect, and with good reason. It was a fluke victory, just like the Pats win in 2001. This is not a team that is set up for years...they got hot at the right time and rode that to a Super Bowl, much like the 01 Pats and 05 Steelers. And how did both teams fare the next year? Exactly.

The Giants can't win at home. That's a problem.

Eli strung together a impressive streak of not sucking, how long will that last?

The defense is anchored by a guy who may retire.

The list goes on and on. I have respect for the team, but lets get real here - They won on a fluke play.

I'm not giving them they respect they are due, but I don't think they earned it. Of course I'm a homer and I still can't believe we lost, so I may be a little biased.

Giants has the same problem as Colts. They won 1 SB and expect everybody to tell them how GREAT they are from now on.

The Giants can't win at home. That's a problem.

Eli strung together a impressive streak of not sucking, how long will that last?

The defense is anchored by a guy who may retire.

The list goes on and on. I have respect for the team, but lets get real here - They won on a fluke play.

I'm not giving them they respect they are due, but I don't think they earned it. Of course I'm a homer and I still can't believe we lost, so I may be a little biased.

First of all they make up by not winning at home by playing great on the road. This is undeniable. They haven't played well at home but I don't think it's that big of a deal, perhaps more coincidence than sign of trouble ahead. But to win all those road games you have to be a good team.

Perhaps he turned the corner. He has good receivers, a good running game, and a good offensive line.

This is not true. They have plenty of other pass rushers. Umenyora, Tuck, Kiwanuka. They'll be fine.

They would not have won the game without a fluke play. True. Doesn't mean they aren't a good team. That's foolish. They basically shut down what was quite possibly the best offense in NFL history.

You're blatantly biased. You do realize there are 2 teams on the field, no?

First of all they make up by not winning at home by playing great on the road. This is undeniable. They haven't played well at home but I don't think it's that big of a deal, perhaps more coincidence than sign of trouble ahead. But to win all those road games you have to be a good team.

Perhaps he turned the corner. He has good receivers, a good running game, and a good offensive line.

This is not true. They have plenty of other pass rushers. Umenyora, Tuck, Kiwanuka. They'll be fine.

They would not have won the game without a fluke play. True. Doesn't mean they aren't a good team. That's foolish. They basically shut down what was quite possibly the best offense in NFL history.

You're blatantly biased. You do realize there are 2 teams on the field, no?

Don't want to fight, JoePats.

I am blatantly biased. You're right.

Yes, I realize there are 2 teams on the field - Thanks. ;)

They don't play well at home, I think that's a problem -They play 8 games at that crap hole of a stadium (More Bias).

Perhaps he has - But he has to prove that he has - There is a difference - and based on his play last year (as a whole, not just the last 4-5 games), I'm not willing to give him that just yet. Fair? Td to Int ratio....awful.

When I say Strahan was the anchor, I mean as a leader in the locker room and as a defensive captain. That's documented - No Bias. I'm saying that when you take a guy like that out of your line, you loose something. He was a starter, HOF'r, All Pro, NFL Sack leading Daddy'o - That HAS to count for something, if you have any doubt ask Bill B. about veteran defensive guys and what they bring to a team, he's a lot smarter than I am.

I never said they were not good, That would be foolish - They beat our team, and arguably the greatest that was every assembled. I said I was not willing to give them the respect that they are looking for.

I Love a good debate!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye