Welcome to PatsFans.com

Claim that Obama blew off troops is false

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Jul 26, 2008.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +394 / 15 / -14

One of the forum participants posted a link to a right wing site that posted something from a soldier claiming Obama blew off the troops in Afghanistan. When the veracity of the claim was questioned, the righties simply changed the subject. But, it's important that we clear the smoke and get the truth out there.

Here's what snopes has to say:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/afghanistan.asp

Claim: Barack Obama "blew off" U.S. soldiers during a July 2008 trip to Afghanistan.

The ... account of Senator Barack Obama's supposedly "blowing off" military personnel in Afghanistan started hitting our inbox almost immediately after the senator's visit to that country during his July 2008 trip to the Middle East. It's difficult to independently verify the details recounted above because press coverage of Senator Obama's Middle East visit was severely limited, but according to an Army spokesperson (as quoted in the New York they are false:

"These comments are inappropriate and factually incorrect," said Bagram spokeswoman Army Lt. Col. Rumi Nielson-Green, who added that such political commentary is barred for uniformed personnel.

In a follow-up blog entry, the Daily News reported that the e-mail's author has recanted his original message:

"I am writing this to ask that you delete my email and not forward it. After checking my sources, information that was put out in my email was wrong. This email was meant only for my family. Please respect my wishes and delete the email and if there are any blogs you have my email portrayed on I would ask if you would take it down too. Thanks for your understanding."

Additionally, Video of his trip provided by the Department of Defense shows Obama greeting, shaking hands, and talking and eating with military personnel in Kuwait, Afghanistan, and Iraq, and we've also received numerous other messages such as the following from military personnel who said they encountered Senator Obama during his Middle East trip and had quite different experiences with the Democratic presidential candidate:

Last edited: Jul 26, 2008
  2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +564 / 15 / -29

3. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +756 / 11 / -7

Of course it's false.

But that's how the right wing works.

Hop on a story, overplay a hateful angle, get the facts wrong, and call names first, ask questions later.

I think they're clear on how played out the approach is. Young people have evidently been voting increasingly with this latest generation coming of age, and they evidently don't buy that bill of goods. They're natives of the internet, and evidently are used to googling idiotic rhetoric, I suppose.

You know how that 2 point Obama lead has already gone to 6 over the last week? There's more coming.

And the right better get used to the fact that voters under 25 are flocking to Obama, and, by the way, nowadays they DO vote.

Nobody believes you, right wing liars. Stop lying or become (more) irrelevant.

PFnV

4. PatsFanInMaine

PatsFanInMaine Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

The left has taken it hook, line & sinker and doesn't even know it. Let's see if anyone from the left even knows what I am talking about.

5. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +564 / 15 / -29

Does it matter, you have obviously made up your mind and little can be done to have a meaningful dialogue....

6. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +756 / 11 / -7

Something to do w/Aliens, according to the guys on here. Whatevahhhh.

7. godef

godef In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

There he goes, tail between his legs. Another Swiftboat flunkie.