Welcome to PatsFans.com

City Officials Investigate Mystery of White Flags Over Brooklyn Bridge

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -11

Who dun it?

http://bronx.ny1.com/content/news/2...-mystery-of-white-flags-over-brooklyn-bridge/

An investigation is underway after police say two American flags on top of the Brooklyn Bridge were apparently bleached white.

Construction workers noticed the switch around 5:30 a.m., and emergency service officers were called in.

"What they found were two flags, one on each tower, that were approximately 20 feet by 11 feet that are actually appear to be American flags with stars and stripes that had been bleached white," Counterterrorism Deputy Commissioner Josh Miller said.

Also found? Large pans that apparently served to block the lights on the tower, which are behind locked gates.

"There's some indication of some good deal of pre-operational planning, perhaps some indication that they have experience climbing, in construction or in bridgework—or that they may have actually been up there before," Miller said.

2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +367 / 11 / -27

Art?? Or some sort of political message?? Stay tuned NYPD will choke someone to death to find out the truth.

• Like Like x 1
  3. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +387 / 3 / -15

If they find the perps, they need to be arresed on multiple charges....desecrating an American flag is just one of those charges.

One thing we all know for certain is that whomever committed this act needs to be investigated extensively....maybe even by the Homeland Security.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +667 / 2 / -9

That will all depend on what they look like and what church they attend.
    (we don't want to offend anybody)

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Bobsyouruncle

Bobsyouruncle Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +296 / 3 / -3

Do you really think desecrating an American flag should be a crime? It should be treated as property damage, no more, no less. Or was it sarcasm?

• Like Like x 2
  6. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +387 / 3 / -15

I am for enforcing our laws...aren't you? Especially if the perps are potential terrorists. Although they're prolly not...

If you don't want the law enforced, then ask your congress person to change it. And if it was property damage, it would be "Destruction of government property".

18 U.S. Code § 700 - Desecration of the flag of the United States; penalties

(a)
    (1)Whoever knowingly mutilates, defaces, physically defiles, burns, maintains on the floor or ground, or tramples upon any flag of the United States shall be fined under this title or imprisoned for not more than one year, or both.
    (2)This subsection does not prohibit any conduct consisting of the disposal of a flag when it has become worn or soiled.
    (b)As used in this section, the term “flag of the United States” means any flag of the United States, or any part thereof, made of any substance, of any size, in a form that is commonly displayed.
    (c)Nothing in this section shall be construed as indicating an intent on the part of Congress to deprive any State, territory, possession, or the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico of jurisdiction over any offense over which it would have jurisdiction in the absence of this section.
    (d)
    (1)An appeal may be taken directly to the Supreme Court of the United States from any interlocutory or final judgment, decree, or order issued by a United States district court ruling upon the constitutionality of subsection (a).
    (2)The Supreme Court shall, if it has not previously ruled on the question, accept jurisdiction over the appeal and advance on the docket and expedite to the greatest extent possible.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/700

7. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +367 / 11 / -27

Uneven enforcement... make sure next time you fly Southwest to do a citizen's arrest on the pilots and flight attendants who wear ties that look like the american flag...

Next time you go to a C & W concert, do a citizen's arrest there.. .then comb the country and arrest everyone who flies a flag at night with no illumination..

Under the guise of patriotism our flag has lost its value...

8. Bobsyouruncle

Ratings:
    +296 / 3 / -3

Yeah, I'm for enforcing the laws, I'm also for this law being thrown out because it's obviously a criminalizing free speech. Whether private property or government property (why are they treated differently) the damage should be criminal, but that's obviously a minor crime here.

To say the flag is more of a crime to damage than say a toaster of the same value is to say damaging the flag means more than it's monetary value.

And it clearly does, when people desecrate the flag it's typically about political speech. To treat it as a higher crime is to say "It's not about the money, it's about your message".

We don't punish people because we don't like their message. Not in America.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +533 / 6 / -2

It's probably symbolic of the states surrender to the invading illegals from Central America.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +387 / 3 / -15

Sure the law should be altered, but to believe our flag's value is nothing more than the price of the flag itself?....I strongly disagree.

I can guarantee you when you watch Muslims burn our flag, you felt more than the lost value of the cloth.

11. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +667 / 2 / -9

We are rapidly losing all respect For The American Flag and America itself, it is part of the plan, Destroy Law and Order, Patriotism, God and Morality then become "third world" soon we will be fighting in the streets.

Roosevelt, Truman, Eisenhower, JFK, Reagan, we won't see presidents like them again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +387 / 3 / -15

Not on our streets Harry....over our dead bodies.

13. Bobsyouruncle

Ratings:
    +296 / 3 / -3

I'm going to make my case to change your mind then.

I believe in America, and everything it stands for. I hope people don't want to burn the flag. It bothers me that people do, but I will convince them with words, not police or force when we disagree.

When we join the military in this country we give this oath:

Think about what this says because the US is the only country in the world I know that's military swears an oath like this.

I didn't swear allegiance to a country, a set of borders, a government, a flag, or anything else. I swore to defend the constitution, a set of principles.

It is the constitution that made America the exception. Not land, borders, races, ethnicity, flags, or anything else. Without those principles the US is nothing more than a piece of dirt on this earth like many others.

To throw away one of the principles the flag symbolizes to protect the symbol itself does more damage than ten thousand flags burning.

I hope you'll reconsider your stance, good day

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +387 / 3 / -15

Hey, it's good we have different opinions byu. So, what emotion do you feel when you see citizens of other nations burn our flag?

Now I agree that our Constitution is what separates the US from other nations, but I'd defend a lot more than that piece of paper were we attacked. Our Constitution is only valuable because of the words written on it....the paper itself is worthless. So words MEAN something to both of us and symbols are just like words.

When I say I'm very proud to be an American, I'm not saying I'm proud of our Constitution only. It's a lot more than that.

I don't want people to go to prison for desecrating our flag, but I do want them exposed for all to see. want to see their name printed or spoken in the news. If my neighbor was out front burning his flag, I wouldn't call the police, but I would approach him/her and ask them what the hell they're doing.

15. Bobsyouruncle

Ratings:
    +296 / 3 / -3

Then we agree on this. Freedom of speech does not mean freedom from criticism.

• Like Like x 1
  16. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,055 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

When in doubt my default is to blame Obama ... so I blame Obama.

17. james87654

james87654 Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +275 / 23 / -17

#3 Jersey

i think it was Obama waving the white flag against ISIS, illegal immigrants, Putin, Hamas, the Arab League, and China........saying, "You guys win.....I give up.....Its your country now"........:p

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,055 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

I got lambasted for wondering why he ran for a 2nd term ... I was serious.
    Like dude ... you got 2 young girls ... a wife ... money ... go work on your golf game.
    Worst job in the entire world ... POTUS - have to put up with idiots like me.:p

• Like Like x 1
  19. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +367 / 11 / -27

Thank god you will not see another Reagan again, the internet will not allow that type of buffoonery to flourish if he was president in the digital age he would have been impeached after 1 year in office... he and his sidekick Cheney would be in Leavenworth.

20. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +387 / 3 / -15

You have so much hatred for the republican party it's actually sickening. Both parties are as American as the other....accept that fact or carry your hatred for eternity.

Otherwise you'll just continue to be miserable.