Welcome to PatsFans.com

City of Boston: Over 2,500 employee's rake in more than six figures

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +572 / 6 / -2

We're way up there on the Health Index though. :rolleyes:

Men in blue rake in green

1,430 cops score six-figure salaries

By Joe Dwinell & Edward Mason
    Saturday, February 7, 2009 - Updated 1d 23h ago

Boston police Commissioner Edward Davis is slapping the cuffs on overtime, desperately trying to cut costs as new payroll figures obtained by the Herald show 1,430 Hub cops earned more than $100,000 last year.

Men in blue rake in green - BostonHerald.com

Nice.

2. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,390 / 10 / -11

#75 Jersey

Now THIS is what I was pointing to when you were blathering on and on about the under 3% payraise granted by electorally voted-law given to the State Reps from 58K "all the way up" to 61k.

You're beginning to take on the REAL issues. This is a far bigger priority and is NOT voted on by the public and NOT tied to the average income CPI for the Commonwealth.

Good for you.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  3. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +416 / 4 / -15

#18 Jersey

That is embaressing for Massachusetts! A frikkn' custodian making $120K :rofl:

4. Real World

Ratings:
    +572 / 6 / -2

Are you referring to the time when the state pols voted themselves a raise, while they were cutting jobs & services, freezing wages of OTHER state employees, and putting forth all kinds of proposed tax & fee increases? Well, I still think that was BS. This is just another example of why we pay through the nose in this region. Why the blue state's bank account is blood red.

5. Real World

Ratings:
    +572 / 6 / -2

But hey, we're like 3rd on the Health Index PR! Remember that when you're paying that $7 toll. :rolleyes:

6. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Massachusetts pols have made political hacksterism into an art form.

And then they wonder why everyone laughs at them and wants to move away/never live there in the first place.

How many good athletes have rejected offers to play/live in Boston??? I lost count after Carlton Fisk. Tom Brady lives in New York now, as do many of the others.

What a sick joke.

//

7. shmessy

Ratings:
    +1,390 / 10 / -11

#75 Jersey

"Voted themselves" a payraise??????

You still don't understand how that pay raise was effected, do you?

8. shmessy

Ratings:
    +1,390 / 10 / -11

#75 Jersey

I always thought the term "Pols" referred to Politicians, not Policemen.

Anyway, yes Foggy, no one wants to live in Boston which is why the housing prices are so far below the national average and why the city is so empty. It is also why Boston has no Doctors, Lawyers, Hi Tech workers. I guess the only people who want to live in Boston are the unemployed and manual laborers. ;)

9. Real World

Ratings:
    +572 / 6 / -2

Of course I do. They used some kind of BS excuse about how the raise was part of some past law, yada, yada, yada...as a means to eccept it. They didn't have a gun to their heads. They could have easily declined it. Ah, but no, they didn't now did they? Gee, I wonder why. :rolleyes:

10. Real World

Ratings:
    +572 / 6 / -2

Well, real estate prices don't walk hand in hand with how desirable a region is. Part of the equation is availability. This is a very old, and thus densely populated area. Houses don't cost more than in Texas, cuz more people want to live in Chelsea, than they do Houston. There is very little land available for new construction, and thus the cost of existing property is higher than in other parts of the country. Also, the cost of living is dramatically higher here in the NE, than it is in other parts of the country, and a result is higher housing costs.

BTW, more people leave Massachusetts each year, than do move in. If you take away illegal immigrants, the numbers are even worse.

11. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +424 / 12 / -26

While there are excesses, the boys is blue to make this much have no life outside of the job..

Have to remember that much of this pay is detail pay and not directly from the coffers of Boston.. 2/3 of the OT alloted is from detail pay... 30 Million of the 47 million.. so the information is a tad disengenuous.

12. Stokes

Stokes In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Wow, those numbers are staggering to me. Makes a LOT of sense to me to get rid of details or at least cut them way back.

13. Real World

Ratings:
    +572 / 6 / -2

Details are partly paid for by the city. When you see city work being done, who do you think pays for the cops on the side of the road? Also, when the utility company does work, and hires a cop, do you think they don't include that into your bill?

What's the difference if cops do it or not, if you're just going to require that the flaggers are rate paid, $40 an hour labor? That's basically what happened here. In the end, the detail bit was a big shirade that won't save anyone, anything. All it did was take some of the detail work away from the policemans union, and give it to the someone else. The rates will all be the same. So it's a shirade in the end.

14. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +424 / 12 / -26

But the city is not paying the detail bill, and the thread was about the cost to the municipality of Boston, many details originate from superfluous and archaic laws that are entrenched into this system.. not a defense.. just and explanation.

The reality that is you work this much, you have no life and when it is over you die...

15. Real World

Ratings:
    +572 / 6 / -2

Everything I post is about the exhorbent costs of gubmit, and how mismanaged it is. The point is that the people, i.e. joe taxpayer, end up getting stuck with the tab.

We're high up on the Health Index though. Nothing's free.

16. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Its pretty sad when some night custodian, that you just know spends 1/2 his shift drinking beer and watching TV, pulls down 120k.

17. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +43 / 6 / -0

I'm no fiscal conservative, but paying someone 120k to walk around being an asshole does seem excessive.

18. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +416 / 4 / -15

#18 Jersey

Wildo...is that really you?:eek: Very out of character for you...but I like it!:D

19. Real World

Ratings:
    +572 / 6 / -2

See, there is a method to my madness over the issue of gubmit waste. Now, as soon as I figure out what that method is, I'll be sure to let you all know. :eek: