Welcome to PatsFans.com

Circuit City on verge of collapse...stock at $0.35

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatriotsReign, Oct 21, 2008.

1. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +344 / 3 / -13

The country's second largest electronics retailer is on the verge of bankruptcy and will lay off thousands and close hundreds of stores BEFORE the holidays....sign of the times:cool:

It appears Circuit City is unable to find interested lenders to help them re-organize. So as you plan your holiday shopping, just know that all Circuit City purchases will be final. Don't buy gift cards or extended warrantees.

We can also expect to see one or two clothing retailers to be squeezed into failure shortly after the holiday season

Mish's Global Economic Trend Analysis
  2. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +911 / 8 / -18

#87 Jersey

Circuit City is such an inept store it is amazing how they have been able to stick around for so long. The last 3-4 times I went there I could have used an air horn to find some help. Their displays are a mess, product missing, etc... Locally, compared to Best Buy it is no contest. Best Buy stores are well lit, well staffed, the stores are always neat and help is easy to find. The displays are relevant to the latest trends in electronics and not outdated. IMO --- Circuit City deserves to disappear.
  3. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

It might just be that one Circuit City store, I don't know. What I do know is that Best Buy should rename themselve Sears for their unethical behavior. They take bait and switch to a new level. Google them and see how many complaints you come up with. Circuit City may be bad, but I wouldn't toot Best Buy's horn.
  4. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +448 / 5 / -2

No one should ever buy a warranty from a big box store. Warranty's are best bought from 3rd party companies like:

Your online source for Television extended warranties.

Extended Warranties

Also, if you buy with your credit card, most CC companies will double the manufacturers warranty for free. My Capital One Visa did for my TV. All I had to do was fill out 3 lines on a single form, and send a copy of my reciept. CC companies also offer extended warranty's for just about anything you buy. While a 4 year extended for my TV was close to $400 from Visa, it was still $300 cheaper than Circuit City. I passed on both.
  5. Real World

Ratings:
    +448 / 5 / -2

CC isn't as well kept, or maintained, at BB. I totally agree. I spent plenty of time in both before I bought my HDTV. However, CC has better prices, and offers. AAA members get 8% off any purchase of $199 or more too.

BB sucks. Nicer looking store, with better displays, but lots of complaints is correct.
  6. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +344 / 3 / -13

Don't be surprised to see Best Buy take the deep 6 within the next 12 months as well. People just aren't buying big electronics and they won't be for the foreseeable future. With new home sales and home sales in general WAY down, no one is buying washer/dryers, refridgerators and dishwashers and "Big Screen TV's" are no longer being considered a must have to keep up with the Jones's...things are looking tough for this category of retailers.
  7. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

exactly correct...

NEVER EVER buy an extended warranty.... all it means is 20-30% commission in the sales person's pocket... if a piece of technology is going to have a problem, it's going to go wrong inside the first month or two, and usually covered by the standard manufactuers warranty... after that, 95% of the time, it's going to be just fine for 5+ years...
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  8. Real World

Ratings:
    +448 / 5 / -2

Bingo! [​IMG] You're absolutely correct. If something goes wrong, it'll be inside the first 30 days usually, something like 90+% of the time.
  9. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

This is what pisses me off. I buy some product from one of these stores. Then, the sales person tells me how much that product really sucks and that I need to buy a warrenty. After which I tell the sales person to go f'ck themselves.
  10. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +156 / 31 / -3

#75 Jersey

Don't worry Circuit City will be fine, once Obama gets in adn sends our money to his poor, they will rush to Circuit City and purchase Big Screens by the truckload. Problem Solved.
  11. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

ICE agents make +$250k ?
  12. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +344 / 3 / -13

You're right, that's what those lousy white trash people love to do...buy stuff.
  13. FreeTedWilliams

Ratings:
    +156 / 31 / -3

#75 Jersey

Do the MATH!!!!! Stop believeing the lies. I went to the Patter's supplied Obama "TAx Cut" and it TOLD ME THAT OBAMA WAS GOING TO RAISE MY TAXES BY ALMOST $4,000 (and no I don't make anywhere near $250,000).

Plus Obama's tax math does not even take into account them letting the Bush tax cuts of 2001 and 2003 expire. He is raising taxes on everyone (except of course, those that don't pay any taxes, they are going to get bigger checks from YOUR MONEY!!!

Do you honestly beleive that these people he is going to be sending my money to, will do ANYTHING with that money that will remove them from their current economic condition? I've said it a million times, poor people are poor, because they come from broken homes, got a putrid education (if any), and have absolutely no idea how to manage money, yet the take cruises, have big screen TVs, and talk on cell phones.

The children in the DC school systems would be much better off, if they closed all the schools and gave each kid the $27,000 a year they spend on their education and let them do anything they wanted with that money. That way at least some of them, would pay to go to a decent school, or hell even hlep their parents pay the rent, or invest the money, start a business, anything would be better than the current system of just pissing that money down the drain.
  14. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

more dumb extrapolation
  15. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

Um, I just entered $150k as a single earner on that site and it says your tax cut is $250 . I don't believe a word you say, and gladly neither do most Americans.
  16. FreeTedWilliams

Ratings:
    +156 / 31 / -3

#75 Jersey

Here is what it told me....

The results are in...
    You probably will not get an Obama Tax Cut. This calculation is not perfect, and Obama has recently promised not to raise taxes for anyone making less than $250,000 per year.

These numbers come directly from calculations by the independent, non-partisan Tax Policy Center. They estimate that your taxes in 2009 will change by $1,321.85 under Barack Obama and -$3,966.68 under John McCain. Click here to see the relevant table for your filing status. Tax cuts for Obama and McCain are calculated by adding the changes in income tax and corporate tax estimated by the Tax Policy Center.

To calculate your tax cut in more details, check out ElectionTaxes.com, a calculator made by Quantrix and the University of Southern Maine.

Oh and ehh, MY WIFE ALSO HAS A JOB.........

He is getting rid of the marriage tax credit, and AGAIN THIS DOES NOT INCLUDE THE EXPIRATION OF THE BUSH TAX CUTS (which they all say they are not going to renew) SO YES, HE IS GOING TO RAISE YOUR TAXES, YES EVEN YOURS (assuming that you have a job).
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  17. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +283 / 10 / -26

If you believe he is that, personally do not put much stock into this.. my experience with people in public safety with this much hate and anger, do not do well in an administrative structure and are frequently involved in administrative procedures due to their unbridled anger which is difficult to control in stress situations.

Most people I know in public safety have come to realize that there is a balance.. not a one sided rage fest..
  18. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

FTW,
    Don't confuse him with facts. Mark my words within the first year, we will be told that there is a Social Security crisis and the phaseout of SS taxes at $102K needs to be abolished.Then ANYBODY making over $102K will find that income ( the amount over $102K) taxed at either 6.2% or 12.4% if you're self-employed.
    Put another way, if you earn $202K, not rich if you live in the high cost Northeast, your taxes will go up by either $6200 if you work for someone else (and your boss pays another $6200 in matching taxes) or you will pay an additional $12,400 if you are self-employed.......
    And he can say with a straight face that he didn't raise income taxes, just SS taxes..................................

19. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +213 / 6 / -7

I doubt Obama, should he win the Presidency, will raise Social Security taxes his first year. Social Security is not in crisis yet, and my guess is Obama will address it only after he addresses more pressing economic needs. Also, I think if he raises those taxes, he'll probably have a smaller tax than you're suggesting. He might even eliminate the cap and lower Social Security taxes. After all, the way to fix the economy is to give people more disposable income. The wealthy tend to reinvest, while the middle class and poor tend to spend their money, which in turn helps the wealthy.
  20. MrSparkle

MrSparkle Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Obama + Democratic Congress + Media = Government that can and will do anything it wants to. No checks and balances.

We

Are

F-cked

No need to argue, it's not up to us here in MA anyway. We voted in Duval and didn't learn, why start now.

[​IMG]