Welcome to PatsFans.com

Cindy McCain lies about meeting Mother Theresa

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +597 / 24 / -19

Wow, the McCain campaign has no respect for religious people. First, it's crossgate, a moving story that McCain never shared until he was running for President. Now, it's adulterous, drug-stealing wife, who tries to exploit Mother Theresa. Pretty sick stuff.

http://features.csmonitor.com/polit...-harder-for-politicians-to-stretch-the-truth/

The latest embellishments come from the McCain camp. Cindy McCain has repeatedly referred to herself as an “only child.” This week came news that she actually has two half sisters, although apparently she had very little contact with them.

The McCain campaign had also put out the story that Mother Teresa “convinced” Cindy to bring home two orphans from Bangladesh in 1991.

Mrs. McCain, it turns out, never met Mother Teresa on that trip. (Once contacted by the Monitor, the campaign revised the story on its website.)

The story about Mother Teresa “convincing” Mrs. McCain to bring home two children from an orphanage in Bangladesh has been retold many times. Initially, the “About Cindy McCain” page on the McCain campaign website read: “Mother Teresa convinced Cindy to take two babies in need of medical attention to the United States. One of those babies is now their adopted daughter, 16-year-old Bridget McCain.”

2. PonyExpress

PonyExpress In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +25 / 3 / -0

Cindy McCain took a Bangladeshi child with a cleft palate from a "Mother Theresa" orphanage and adopted her.

Smearing her on this account will only draw attention to the one objective aspect of the story, her act of great kindness, just like smearing McCain over the cross merely draws attention to his time as a Prisoner of War.

This tactic will only damage your own candidate, who has no objective act of bravery or kindness to fortify his own candidacy.

In fact, he is a ghost.

No college transcripts, no thesis, no articles published while "Editor of the Law review" or as a "lecturer in constitutional law", his records as a state senator lost, his records of time working with Bill Ayers sealed- not to mention his childhood, about which, for whatever reason, he has been misleading the public.

What is he hiding?

You selected a candidate with a thin resume and a history of radical associations, based on a carefully crafted cult of personality, and hoped to foist him on the american public.

Now you are angry the American public is not falling for the trick, and you are lashing back.

If Obama and his campaign had been forthright from the beginning about his past, instead of relying on a magic trick, McCain wouldn't be able to "reintroduce" him to the public. The records would speak for themselves.

Obama's own obfuscations have put him in this mess, and mudslinging won't get him out of it.

3. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +781 / 18 / -23

#24 Jersey

Reagarding the only child thing, it could be argued both ways but they are HALF sisters; when they aren't full siblings and you have "very little contact with them", considering yourself to be an only child is fully reasonable.

Regarding Mother Teresa, did Cindy say that she had met her ? I have been convinced to do things before by people I have never met.

Regardless, I'd take Cindy over Michelle any day - although if we don't elect her husband I'm sure Michelle won't be proud of her country any more.

4. Patters

Ratings:
    +597 / 24 / -19

Pony, she lied and the McCain campaign lied. It doesn't mean she didn't do something good as well, though why the wealthy always adopt foreign babies is beyond me. This is certainly as bad as Obama's lack of connecton to a half brother he doesn't know or a father who left him when Obama was 2 years old (and Obama only met him once after that), two threads that are currently active in the forum.

5. PonyExpress

PonyExpress In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +25 / 3 / -0

I would NEVER blame Obama for his half-brother's life. That is cynical electioneering and wrong. I admire Obama tremendously for his rise to the American dream. There is alot to like. I just don't believe in his ideology. I understand you feel wounded by the innuendo coming from the "right".

But this is a very slippery slope, and Obama himself is much more vulnerable to smears than McCain.

6. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +469 / 12 / -14

BO lied about the reason he opposed the 'Born Alive Infant Protection Act' which would allowed medical care to infants born alive after a botched abortion. Why did he lie about supporting infanticide against these innocent children? dHe is worried about the treatment of terrorist at Gitmo yet would deny food and medical care to infants letting them die from a lack of fluids, Why torture infants in this callous way?

7. Patters

Ratings:
    +597 / 24 / -19

Yeah, right, BO believes in infanticide. Get real. That's as likely as McCain being a traitor. After all, McCain told secrets, not under torture, but after seeing how bad is leg looked and wanting to go to a hospital. (That's according to McCain.) Then, the Vietnamese torture him and treat him terribly. He comes back and leads the effort to make peace with Vietnam? Obviously, they have the goods on him, so he had to help them out (even if it meant pi$$ing off a lot of familieis of the MIAs) Or else, his campaign would never have gotten started.

http://www.villagevoice.com/2005-05-31/news/senator-goes-missing/

At any rate, I don't think the infanticide issue will fly any more than I think the McCain traitor story will fly. As Obama said, infanticide was already illegal (which should be obvious to most people) and the piece of legislation was intended as a backdoor against Roe v. Wade.

Do you see how the Republican campaign is using you with issues such as infanticide as clearly as I see how much the Democratic campaign uses me with issues such as crossgate? If you answer 'yes,' I'm perfectly happy to continue in this game. If you answer 'no,' then I think you should reflect on that.

8. STFarmy

STFarmy In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

At least you're up front about it haha.

9. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,086 / 16 / -9

Aren't you one of the guys all mad that Obama isn't more supportive of a half-brother in Africa who he never grew up with and barely ever even met? (I understand -- from the anti-Obamites on the thread -- that he supposedly met him once in 2006)

Well, time to click back on there where you're wisecracking about how you're sure Obama will spread the wealth to him soon, and say you consider Obama an only child. Duh.

I don't care so much about Cindy McCain lying about Mother Theresa urging her to take in an orphan. I am not even all that worked up that McCain seems to be telling Solzhenitsyn's story as his own.

They're liars, sure, but what's the guts of the lies?

She took in an orphan, but she wants to be urged to by Mother Theresa. But, well, she did take in the orphan (I think.)

Or, he was in Vietnamese captivity, and he wants to have a touching moment of Christian faith that actually happened to Solzhenitsyn... but well, he was in Vietnamese captivity.

Or, a pastor (!) says McCain will be in a "cone of silence", i.e., some sort of soundproofed arrangement, and he's in a motorcade, with access to communications.

He did have access to communications, so the "controlled" nature of the Saddleback thing is tainted, whether or not Rick Warren knew that. But really, the basics were that Obama tried to talk one-on-one, and McCain served up canned anecdotes linked to the questions... though he might have had a little help.

A little lie here, a little lie there - but the basics are still that adopting an orphan is good, the Hanoi Hilton (as we knew already) was bad, and McCain's style (I think) trumped Obamas at the church.

The thing is, what else does this guy lie about, when his case isn't good enough or sexy enough or telegenic enough?

Our sitting president had precisely the same sort of dilemma when he wanted to make his case for invading Iraq. He knew Saddam Hussein tried to kill his paw, and was a bad guy. That should have been enough, but wasn't... so he pressured the intelligence apparatus to come up with the Mother Theresa, the Solzhenitsyn story, the "sound proofed booth" of that time period. He pressed Colin Powell to tell these telegenic stories in front of the UN. He called our oldest allies names when they wouldn't get on-board. And he called the UN itself and the international arms monitors liars or buffoons (take your pick) for not finding what wasn't there -- i.e., the nonexistant WMDs.

Not satisfied, when caught in the lie, he started the ball rolling on how "everybody had the same intelligence and nobody said otherwise--" just another lie. Hans Blix said otherwise, when it was a matter of inspectors getting in. He said he was getting decent cooperation, and that he was not finding WMDs. When the Europeans said "let's try sanctions" as a sop to Washington, that wasn't enough either -- again, with no evidence of WMDs.

In fact, the whole argument Bush put forward was to reverse the burden of proof, and say that Iraq could not prove that there weren't WMDs there -- in effect, demanding that an accused party prove a negative, a notorious bastion of liars in any forum of debate.

So are McCain and company's little white lies and harmless embellishments harbingers of a similar approach, a habit of mind?

With luck we will not have to find out.

PFnV

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  10. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +781 / 18 / -23

#24 Jersey

I believe I said that we'll all be supporting his brother soon enough but didn't pass judgment on their (lack of) sibling relationship.

11. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +916 / 7 / -3

Looks like the two of you have something in common. ;)

Looks like Cindy and Barack have something in common too.

Considering that McLame can't even remember how many houses he has, why would anyone be surprised that he can't get the Mother Teresa story right? This country is so screwed.

12. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +253 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

That did it I'm voting for Obama!

13. PatsWSB47

Ratings:
    +253 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

That did it, I'm voting for McCain!

14. PatsWSB47

Ratings:
    +253 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

That did it, I'm voting for Ralph Nader!

15. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +916 / 7 / -3

Well, that did it I'm voting for Bob Barr!

Afterall, someone has to. :D

16. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,086 / 16 / -9

Screw you both is Harold Stassen running? (or alive?)

17. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

In Episode #818 of Mystery Science Theater 3000, Devil Doll, the character of the Great Vorelli tells his living ventriloquist dummy Hugo, "You'll never win. You'll always lose." To which Crow T. Robot adds, "You're Harold Stassen."