PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chung is in Foxborough

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to Wikipedia, there is a defacto salary scale for DRAFTED rookies.
Correct.
A player is paid commensurate with where he is drafted. This
scale is used by the NFLPA to determine how much money is allocated
to the various teams to sign their rookies.

A player is paid what him and the team negotiate. There is no scale that the team is required to keep to. There is no slotting. This isn't the NBA.

If its a signing bonus, and deferred, its still gets paid, whether hes on teh team or not.

I believe that the report was they wanted to convert it to a roster bonus for 2010. Which sure sounds like a signal that they don't expect him to make it.

Antwain Spann a gonner :eek:

As I said..I hadn't come down on one side or the other...per se..but as I wondered, are kickers punters also given those same bonuses?? I assume yes...but I do see the possibility that special team players could be seen in a different light. That was more my question. Yes, he has "earned" that in that same way, but I do wonder what the real sticking point is with the team? Will someone get short changed if they do pay out that amount in a bonus? (Not sure how all the salaries add up to amount given and if they somehow overpaid a bit for some of the 9 already signed or??) Just trying to see what and why they are trying to do this? Is a lot of that that they can and that they already have a vet long snapper?? As someone said..couldn't they have paid Paxton more and kept him??
NE drafting Ingram after signing Hodel was a surprise, leading me to wonder if there was still some doubt about Hodel's knee. Gostkowski spoke to both men working hard during OTAs, which is standard fare for NE media from the team, but we'll take it at face value.

If I had to pick one LS to make the team before Camp starts, I'd have picked Hodel, longer track record on this stage and previous experience with the ST's Coach. If Ingram had any chance at sticking with the team I'd have said he might spend time on the Practice Squad - it seems the Pats are thinking something similar and trying to hedge their bet in case Hodel gets hurt. It's their right to offer a package they prefer and gamble on Hodel staying healthy, but it's also pretty cold. They could have had a couple decent LS candidates as UDFAs, they could have waited and drafted Ingram with on of the 7th round picks, instead they went by their draft value scores and took the highest rated player at a position of need - which to me demands they quit jerking the kid around and get him in camp.

NE drafting Ingram after signing Hodel was a surprise, leading me to wonder if there was still some doubt about Hodel's knee. Gostkowski spoke to both men working hard during OTAs, which is standard fare for NE media from the team, but we'll take it at face value.

If I had to pick one LS to make the team before Camp starts, I'd have picked Hodel, longer track record on this stage and previous experience with the ST's Coach. If Ingram had any chance at sticking with the team I'd have said he might spend time on the Practice Squad - it seems the Pats are thinking something similar and trying to hedge their bet in case Hodel gets hurt. It's their right to offer a package they prefer and gamble on Hodel staying healthy, but it's also pretty cold. They could have had a couple decent LS candidates as UDFAs, they could have waited and drafted Ingram with on of the 7th round picks, instead they went by their draft value scores and took the highest rated player at a position of need - which to me demands they quit jerking the kid around and get him in camp.
I agree with you 100%. The Patriots can play hard ass, but all it
will do is drive away agents and their clients.

I agree with you 100%. The Patriots can play hard ass, but all it
will do is drive away agents and their clients.

Agents and teams understand that there is a negotiation process. There are typically no hard feelings since agents have multiple clients.

No one's going to try and say : Chung is so powerful, something, something, A. Spann, something, something ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back