PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chung in a word...WOW!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't get me wrong. Chung still has a little ways to go before he's even in Polamalu's league. But he covers the field like Polamalu does. That's why the added dimension of Chung this year should give Manning a headache. He's often said that a safety like Polamalu that can cover ground at unbelievable speeds is tough to gameplan and throw against. :D

BB has had a multi-year draft quest to find such a guy having drafted several complete stiffs in the process. I think some are over reacting to Chung's noticable improvement and certainly he does have a way to got but his atheletic ability and BB's mentoring will develop this talent.

Last edited:
How can you not chime in on this one and be a member of this board.

The kid was 90 mph all over the field yesterday, making plays.

He was fun to watch.

Great game by Chung...

he can be the true leader of this defense. I dont care about meriweather soft tackes anymore . Chung McCourty duo seems great . Next draft we should take a rusher in 1st round and our D ll have Wilfork, Mayo, Dhung and a rusher, all the needs covered

He's way faster than Rodney was here

He's also smaller. Chung is fast and seems to cover a lot of ground, and he makes authoritative tackles, but he's not de-cleating guys like Rodney or a Polamalu. I mean, I'll take it, he looks great, but he's not that huge intimidator back there. But just having a guy that focused and intense is going to help a lot.

he can be the true leader of this defense. I dont care about meriweather soft tackes anymore . Chung McCourty duo seems great . Next draft we should take a rusher in 1st round and our D ll have Wilfork, Mayo, Dhung and a rusher, all the needs covered

With regard to the Meriweather comment, I think BB has found two safeties whose skills just totally complement each other. Chung is clearly the enforcer, and can clean up missed tackles. That will hopefully leave Meriweather free to ball hawk and play center field, which is where I thought he excelled last season

I know this isn't the draft forum but talking about taking someone in the 1st round....Cameron Hayward from OSU has looked like a BEAST so far this season and would be a great 3-4 DE....

He's also smaller. Chung is fast and seems to cover a lot of ground, and he makes authoritative tackles, but he's not de-cleating guys like Rodney or a Polamalu..

Pat Chung : 5'11 212lbs
Troy P: 5'10 205lbs

I see them using Meriweather in a more of a Hibrid role if the starters are gonna play this well. Maybe something to help Butler progress. But yeah Chung looked like he should be wearing 37

Chung's size is almost identical to Milloy (6-0, 213 according to Wikipedia). His hitting highlights in college reminded me of Lawyer, but Chung is faster than Milloy ever was.

I don't want to get too hyped up over one game, and it isn't fair to compare him to Harrison, but I can't help but think of him as this decade's Harrison back there. I hope he continues to develop and grow into a leader and make receivers flinch as they come across the middle.

This might be the best tackling secondary we've had here since 2004. Even Butler makes pretty solid tackles most of the time. Between him and McCourty outside and Chung and Meriweather (who isn't known for his tackling, but it's not like he's Cromartie out there), it's going to make opposing offenses really earn every yard they get.

This might be the best tackling secondary we've had here since 2004. Even Butler makes pretty solid tackles most of the time. Between him and McCourty outside and Chung and Meriweather (who isn't known for his tackling, but it's not like he's Cromartie out there), it's going to make opposing offenses really earn every yard they get.

I laughed yesterday watching Samuel give up a first down on a missed tackle.

Chung in immensely strong for a safety. He did 25 reps at the combine and pressed 345lbs at Oregon. Those are better numbers than many of our linemen. His upper body strength was evident yesterday in the way he wrapped Benson up on a couple of occasions.

Last edited:
I don't want to get too hyped up over one game, and it isn't fair to compare him to Harrison, but I can't help but think of him as this decade's Harrison back there. I hope he continues to develop and grow into a leader and make receivers flinch as they come across the middle.
I turned to my wife at the game yesterday and said basically the same thing. I know it's way way way too soon to compare him to one of my favorite all-time Patriots. But I did it anyway. :D

The only real weakness I saw on the D was the Pass Rush and even then it wasn't like Palmer had 5,6,7 seconds to pass he has like 3 or 4 usually

If you have this game recorded check out the last play of the game by Cincinnati. Scott runs the ball up the middle for decent yardage and then goes into a qb hook slide to avoid a big hit by Chung...That's intimidation!:rocker:

I laughed yesterday watching Samuel give up a first down on a missed tackle.

That's the big thing about the whole Samuel controversy. He's a great playmaker, but he's not a complete football player. You don't pay $10m for an incomplete football player.

I can't remember who but someone said really early on this camp that they saw greatness in Chung and expected him to make a big leap this year. I was quietly optimistic and now I'm ecstatic. :rocker:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back