PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chung Compare To Griffin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brady'sButtBoy

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
M. Griffin just signed a 5yr/$35m extension with Tenn. Mike Reiss, very carefully noting their differences and similarities, wonders whether Chung could be worth this kind of deal. It's all about the bonuses, obviously, so it may be difficult to use the 5x35 numbers accurately. But I'll go ahead and say that if Chung says this kind of deal he wants, or anything like it, then the Pats should let him walk.

Chung has a positive influence on the D, absolutley. But at the same time he patrolled center field on some of the most hideous defenses to wear the Patriots logo. Or, and this counts too, he was hurt. So either he was overseeing a borderline disaster defense or he was too injured to play. Both are a reasons to say NO to a request anything like Griffin's deal. Not that Griffin's a major stud or anything, to me what he's done is irrelevant. Chung's resume reads that he's helped some some lame D's be a smidge better or can't get on the field.

The kid's got talent and maybe this year he will explode. That's a big maybe. So if Chung ties to work out a deal this off season instead of waiting until after 2012 when he's a true FA then I'd say anything past an average of $3m/year is way too much.

Last edited:
Depends what happens this year. If he stays healthy, good luck retaining him on 3mm/per.

Chung compares to Rodney Harrisons jock strap.

Every season is going to be his breakout year.

I honestly think the pats should try extending him before the season starts...if you could give him 3 years at 4-5 per year, i think that would be more than fair given that he hasn't consistently produced, yet shown flashes at times...that way, if he has a great year this year, they'll retain him at a fair price, and if he doesn't produce as hoped, we would still have a starting caliber safety that's still only going to be 25.

Seriously, Chung has played 3 years and started 1 plus a second that he played 8 games in.
I guess using team stats to judge his play is vogue, but its also naive.

No way he deserves that $$...he is never healthy..will never be a rodney..but i like him

Every year is his breakout year..then he gets hurt for 7 gmes

I like Chung but he is injured alot and I honestly feel that we could find a replacement in the draft kinda easily. So I don't think he deserves griffin money even if he has a great year.

I like Chung but he is injured alot and I honestly feel that we could find a replacement in the draft kinda easily. So I don't think he deserves griffin money even if he has a great year.

When Mark Barron goes seventh overall, Harrison Smith 29th, and Tavon Wilson 48th, I say no way. There's no position with more of a shortage of decent players than safety, so they'll continue to be the second most overdrafted position (after QB).

When Mark Barron goes seventh overall, Harrison Smith 29th, and Tavon Wilson 48th, I say no way. There's no position with more of a shortage of decent players than safety, so they'll continue to be the second most overdrafted position (after QB).

Good point. Really good point, but i feel that this years draft was just a bad group of safeties and the years to come have to be better.

:confused:

He played 16 games in 2009
He played 14 games in 2010
He had 1 injury in 2011 that cost him 8 games.

How is that injured a lot?

Ras-i has only battled injuries his senior year and then last year.

Chung got hurt last year, but played in 14 the year before and 16 prior to that.

2009 GP 16
2010 GP 14
2011 GP 8

Patrick Chung Stats - New England Patriots - ESPN

In 2010, Chung injured his knee. He left at halftime of the Chargers game and played through it after that.

In 2011, Chung had to have surgery on his thumb, and also missed time because of his foot injury.

As for Dowling, people here like to confuse playing injured with not being injured.

Here's Bedard on Dowling:

Problems in regards to injury history. Played just five games in 2010 because of a left ankle fracture, hamstring pull and right knee injury. In ’08 he dealt with a hamstring and back injury. Started all 12 games in ’09. Pulled a hamstring at the combine but had a great pro day. Had a broken hand and a knee injury in high school.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2011/04/analysis_of_2nd_1.html

Last edited:
In 2010, Chung injured his knee. He left at halftime of the Chargers game and played through it after that.

In 2011, Chung had to have surgery on his thumb, and also missed time because of his foot injury.

As for Dowling, people here like to confuse playing injured with not being injured.

Here's Bedard on Dowling:

Analysis of 2nd round pick, CB Ras-I Dowling - Extra Points - Boston.com

If Ras-I had left after his junior year he was projected to be a top 20 pick...clearly the NFL disagrees with your medical assessment.

Mocking the Panthers Top of the 3rd Round Pick - Cat Scratch Reader

lol @ that dowling blurb...god that guy is a walking time bomb

If Ras-I had left after his junior year he was projected to be a top 20 pick...clearly the NFL disagrees with your medical assessment.

You're kidding with this nonsense, right? It's not my medical assessment. It's what's happened to the kid to this point in his football career. If you've got an issue with it, take it up with Bedard.

Last edited:
You're kidding with this nonsense, right? It's not my medical assessment. It's what's happened to the kid to this point in his football career. If you've got an issue with it, take it up with Bedard.

Reiss doesn't think it's an issue, and i'll side with him, even though I respect Bedard. But i don't think BB uses the 33rd pick of the draft on someone who's that big of a red flag medically.

Reiss doesn't think it's an issue, and i'll side with him, even though I respect Bedard. But i don't think BB uses the 33rd pick of the draft on someone who's that big of a red flag medically.

Dude, just stop. You're making yourself look like an idiot. You wrote:

Ras-i has only battled injuries his senior year and then last year.

I pointed to Bedard's column listing multiple injuries showing this not to be true, assuming Bedard's gotten it correct, which is why I've subsequently told you to take it up with Bedard. All I'd said about Dowling prior was

You do realize that both Chung and Dowling really have had plenty of injuries, right?

You're fighting a battle that doesn't even exist, and you're still losing.

Dude, just stop. You're making yourself look like an idiot. You wrote:

I pointed to Bedard's column listing multiple injuries showing this not to be true, assuming Bedard's gotten it correct, which is why I've subsequently told you to take it up with Bedard. All I'd said about Dowling prior was

You're fighting a battle that doesn't even exist, and you're still losing.

You seriously going to use high school as a barometer for injuries? Also, i didn't realize this was a ****-measuring contest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes