PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chung called for the fake punt

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't pin this on Chung? He dropped the snap...

The ball should have never been snapped to him. Do you blame a blind kid for wandering out into the street and being hit by a car or the parent that didn't keep an eye on him?

He should not have been given authority to call that play assuming Mesko is telling the truth.

Last edited:
if this is true, what the hell was chung thinking?

I knew BB couldn't have been stupid enough to call a fake in that situation. And I don't see what Simms did either---Eric Smith beat his block and looked like he had Chung dead to rights.

did i miss the link to this? I've watched some of the pcs, and havent heard anyone say that Chung called this audible.

He took a chance. It was a good call, but it was also poor execution by the blockers to let Smith straight through.

Rewatching it now.

Even if he'd caught the snap, Smith beat Guyton and Morris to the snap.

Also, the way Mesko was moving, it looked like they were running an option with the 2 of them.

Forget about whether the defense formation dicatated whether or not it should have been called 4 on 6 or whatever IMO the situation was not the right risk reward to fake and to me that is on the coaches.

Chung may have had the right idea but at some point he needed to be taught that wasnt the situation for it either right before the actually punt IE Obrien should have said to his team no shinanigans on this one just before they ran out to punt or somewhere during the season the situation should have come up. You give a guy the right to make that call then he will when the formation dictates but you also need to teach him when its not worth it.

Sure we get that and score maybe that changes the game but we could get that and then stall out on the next series. we still had 30-40 yards to go for a field goal and giving them the ball there pretty much meant a score and turned 7-3 into 14-3 and IMO was the difference in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes