PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chuck Pagano: Participation trophies “ain’t real life”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, you can give a 4-12 team a trophy for winning 4 games. They're winners too!

I'd call them losers. Funny thing is, with the setup the NYFL uses now, a team could actually be a champion with 5 or 6 wins. Strike up the band.

I like how Bruschi was always happy about 'Hat and T-shirt Day" when they clinched the division or something. I have started saying that phrase myself.

Ironically I think wearing a championship t-shirt for anything besides the Super Bowl is the saddest thing ever. Imagine wearing a "Patriots AFC East Champion" T-shirt after the 2010 loss to the Jets, for example. Although if you had been saving those t-shirts since 2001 you'd have quite the collection!

The Colts were once a proud franchise but they are long gone. Indy is nothing but a mockery of what the Colts were.

The Colts became a mockery once Irsay Sr. bought the team from Rosenbloom in 1972. It's just accelerated with Junior in charge.

The Colts were once a proud franchise but they are long gone. Indy is nothing but a mockery of what the Colts were.

Sad but true. There was a reason that the great Johnny U (who came to visit my HS here in the 60's btw) called the sh!thouse at his bar the Irsay room.

And what about the difference between the Baltimore and Indy fans? Night and day or what? Hopefully, all of Harbawl's whining won't affect them.

Indy hasn't ever been, and will never be, the Colts to me.

Those images with those banners are photoshopped right? No way Indi actually puts those up right? :eek:

So if its a joke, please say it is...

Nothing says "this man's opinion must be highly regarded" like using the word ain't.

Even if they are accomplishments, they get cluttered and ridiculous. At that point, it's who are you?

rsz_norks_62.jpg

North Korean generals: Are those medals for each year they avoided being shot?

Pagano is also trying to avoid execution at this point.

Even if they are accomplishments, they get cluttered and ridiculous. At that point, it's who are you?

rsz_norks_62.jpg

North Korean generals: Are those medals for each year they avoided being shot?

Pagano is also trying to avoid execution at this point.

What's the deal here? Do they all get participation medals too? I thought that was only in America.o_O

Teams hang up banners, flags celebrating their season, final four, sweet sixteen, etc....but they are hardly partipation trophies. The colts have that mentality,while folks from Boston are used to the garden and Gillette banners....and every one said "champion"...

Teams hang up banners, flags celebrating their season, final four, sweet sixteen, etc....but they are hardly partipation trophies. The colts have that mentality,while folks from Boston are used to the garden and Gillette banners....and every one said "champion"...

The Bruins used to hang "Adams Division Champions" banners

I think those banners are lame too but making the AFCCG is something only an eighth of the NFL does each year. Kind of silly to call that the same as "participating." I get that this is a "if you're not first, you're last" kind of league, but I feel like people have forgotten that participation trophies inherently go to...everyone.

Chuck Paganno is a pretty good guy, but then again so am I. And while you may enjoy having a beer with either Chuck or I, you definitely don't want me coaching your NFL football team.....or Chuck for that matter. ;)

But I do want Chuck Pagano and you to coach the jets and bills ;)

Why's that okay? After all, they didn't win the title. If you're not first, you're last.
Because, IMHO, making it to the SB is a very difficult and standout accomplishment. While not a necessity a runner up prize (aka silver, aka show) among a crowded field is noteworthy and has purpose to set a general high water mark. It also has purpose that it is a significantly lower accolade/'trophy' than being the outright winner.

The line of thinking that suggests that if you don't win the SB you might as well have gone 0-16 is just pure BS. So, the only successful seasons the Pats have ever had have been 01, 03, 04 and 14? Just making it to the SB is an incredible accomplishment. 5 straight AFCCG is a great accomplishment, 6 SB in 15 years is significant, 16-0 was incredible, despite the SB loss that season, etc., etc.

Hate Pagano, but I don't think he's correct by stating it's not real life.

Real life (more & more each year) has become EXACTLY that : feelings, participation, everybody wins. Everyone graduates highschool, universities have individualized programmes for students with difficulties, people in the work force get many many chances despite incompetence... that is the new normal. Relics like those of us who oppose that way are the ones who are out of touch.

wasn't there a trophy for the Adams Division, though? If i am not mistaken, the NHL was the one that called them "Adams Division Champions" and awarded a trophy....

Chuck Paganno is a pretty good guy, but then again so am I. And while you may enjoy having a beer with either Chuck or I, you definitely don't want me coaching your NFL football team.....or Chuck for that matter. ;)

I'd rather eat the beer bottle than listen to him speak for 30's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back