PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chuck Pagano: Participation trophies “ain’t real life”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soul_Survivor88

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Chuck Pagano: Participation trophies “ain’t real life”

“There’s no trophies for second place, right? Saw a good YouTube video of a basketball coach explaining that, I think it was the women’s basketball coach from Louisville,” Pagano said, via Zak Keefer of the Indianapolis Star. “He was talking about our society today and everybody gets trophies. I thought it was pretty good. You can finish fifth, sixth, seventh, eighth and everybody goes home happy. That ain’t real life. There’s only one trophy. There’s only one division champ. That’s how they’re treating it, and that’s how we’re treating it.”

o_O o_O

colts-banner-crop.jpg

084.png

Last edited:
“There’s no trophies for second place, right? Saw a good YouTube video of a basketball coach explaining that, I think it was the women’s basketball coach from Louisville,” Pagano said, via Zak Keefer of the Indianapolis Star. “He was talking about our society today and everybody gets trophies. I thought it was pretty good. You can finish fifth, sixth, seventh, eighth and everybody goes home happy. That ain’t real life. There’s only one trophy. There’s only one division champ. That’s how they’re treating it, and that’s how we’re treating it.”
no, there are 8 of them

To be fair I'm not sure it was his choice to put that banner up. Thats the kind of banner a crack head would put up... A certain special crack head.
it's nice to know the Pats have raised a couple banners in Indy as well.

There are lots of trophies for second place in a zillion sports. WTF does he think the Hunt Trophy is?

Chuck Paganno is a pretty good guy, but then again so am I. And while you may enjoy having a beer with either Chuck or I, you definitely don't want me coaching your NFL football team.....or Chuck for that matter. ;)

Smartest thing the man has ever said.

The winner of the AFC. That's not a second place trophy.
It is if you don't win the SB. The NFL hands out a second-place trophy every year. They also hand out SB runner-up rings.

What do people think Olympic silver medals are? Most athletes are overjoyed to win just one of those.

Correction: Participation trophies are real life -- as unfortunate, unhelpful and unbelievable that real life has become.

It is if you don't win the SB. The NFL hands out a second-place trophy every year. They also hand out SB runner-up rings.

What do people think Olympic silver medals are? Most athletes are overjoyed to win just one of those.

Ok: handing out SB runner up rings.
Not OK: handing out 'you showed up sparklingly well' rings to the Cleveland Browns.

At any rate, I love how mad people get at the mere mention of participation trophies. It's always funny to me.

Because it's inconsequential.

No, it's not. A second place trophy would be one given to the SB loser.
Yeah, okay.

So, if they hand out the conference championship trophy to the SB loser right after the game, it's a second-place trophy and also what's wrong with America. But because they hand it out before the SB it's fine.

One team wins the title. The losing team still gets a very nice trophy for not winning the title. And also rings. The losers.

Pagano, unsurprisingly is wrong about both football and not-football.

Yeah, okay.

So, if they hand out the conference championship trophy to the SB loser right after the game, it's a second-place trophy and also what's wrong with America. But because they hand it out before the SB it's fine.

One team wins the title. The losing team still gets a very nice trophy for not winning the title. And also rings. The losers.

Pagano, unsurprisingly is wrong about both football and not-football.

You're wrong again.

Look, you may think that getting a trophy for winning the conference is stupid, and that's fine. But it's a simple truth that trophies for winning the conferences are not second place trophies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back