Welcome to PatsFans.com

Christmas Amnesty

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by gomezcat, Dec 24, 2005.

1. gomezcat

gomezcat It's SIR Moderator to you Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I was thinking about a Christmas amnesty in which we all have to be nice to each other for a set period of time. There are, IMO, two ways of doing this. One is to cover the whole period when it will be Christmas in the US. So, from 12am ET on 25th December (0700 GMT) to 12AM Pacific Coast time (or whatever is it called) on 26th December, we have to be nice to each other. The other way would be done that we have to be nice to each other for the period when it is Christmas anywhere in the world, thus extending the amnesty a little. That would mean midday today GMT (it is 0812 GMT at time of writing) or 7AM today ET. It would then extend through to 1159 GMT on 26/12 or 0659 ET. Please correct me if my maths is wrong, BTW.
    What do you all think? What's more, I suggest that we all extend a personalised Christmas greeting to our political forumistas. Here's hoping Santa brings us another Superbowl win, not that I'm greedy or anything.
  2. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +262 / 10 / -11

No fair, Gomez, you're already nice. I think you should have to be rude for Christmas day if you're going to expect rude people to be nice, because otherwise you're not giving up anything!
  3. gomezcat

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

As you wish! In a lack of deference to the US, I shall start being rude from 0000 GMT, i.e. 1900 ET, providing Miss Gomezcat's rather nice Mulled Wine doesn't take too much hold by then.....
  4. Patters

Ratings:
    +262 / 10 / -11

Does that mean you'll use words like poppy**** and balderdash?
  5. gomezcat

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Yes, and words like "rotter", "bloody" and "damn". I shall also order you all to do stuff, not say please or thank you and not address you as "old bean" or "old chap". I shall also not take off my bowler hat before entering the chatroom, call you all cads and bounders, talk with my mouth full of food, burp, fart and generally behave obnoxiously. :D Two and a half hours and counting!
  6. Chevy

Chevy Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Judging by some posts that have come in after this thread was started ... Well, it doesn't look like it's going to work ...
  7. gomezcat

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I suspect not, but hey, I tried! Good to see you up and running BTW. I did think of you when the hurricane hit. Are you back in NO?
  8. Turd Furguson

Turd Furguson Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'd abide by this ONLY if that traitorous snake NEM was re-banned. He can go eff himself this Christmas for all I care.
  9. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +662 / 2 / -9

They closed the Osama thread because the "PATRIOTIC Neo Cons" were defending America and trashing the "Haters"
  10. Chevy

Chevy Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Actually, I never left ... Rode out the storm, ignored the "mandatory" evacuation, just me, some friends, and our rations.

In a way, the weeks after the storm were pleasantly quiet ... I know, it was serious (hey, I'm living it). But at 8 at night, with no power (and some very decent weather), a small fire going in the makeshift grill (I think it was a wheelbarrow) ... In a way it was very peaceful.

Once power came back I was at the shop clearing out the mess. 17" of water (we got lucky) still makes a mess.
  11. Turd Furguson

Turd Furguson Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Did FEMA and the gov't take care of you 100%?

is Bush bad for not insisting you get out?

How dare you be self sufficient. You're making our gub'ment obsolete. I hope you at least took a free boat ride with Sean Penn and his photographer.
  12. Chevy

Chevy Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Funny, I never saw it as gov'ts resposnibility to get anyone out.

A mere $10 a week set aside = $520/year. Considering the need for evacuation may occur every 10 years ... That's $5200 lying in wait to get you and your family out.

Add to that $5200 another $4400 ($2000 initial FEMA, another $2400 supplemental FEMA - both of which I received with 60 days) and you now have $9600. That covers an $800/month apartment.

Plus, everyone who was dislocated qualified for food stamps (~$150/month), State and Federal rent assistance (how does 1 year rent/utilities paid sound to you?).

So, really, all you need is to ensure that you can cover the cost of leaving and can house/feed yourself for 2 months.

Personal reliability/responsibility ... It's a lost art here in America.
  13. Patters

Ratings:
    +262 / 10 / -11

Chevy, I'm glad your okay, but think your decision to wait out the storm was risky. Who would have rescued you and your friends if things played out differently?
  14. Chevy

Chevy Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

My main concern was standing guard over my business - looters, you know. Fortunately, we didn't have that problem in Metairie ...

Beyond that, I really wan't concerned. Yes, I'll admit it got pretty damn hairy here, but I was confident in being able to tough it out.

Now, had the storm come straight at us ... well, that's another story, isn't it .. :grin:

Besides ... Since the 29th of August I've lost almost 20 pounds and have gone a long way to adapting to the Louisiana heat (no ac will do that to you).
  15. Turd Furguson

Turd Furguson Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

WHO WOULD HAVE TAKEN CARE OF YOU????

Without people like Patters' ilk, the government and politicians making promises would be out of business.

When will people wake up and realize that other than National Security and infrastructure, we do not NEED the government?
  16. Patters

Ratings:
    +262 / 10 / -11

It seems to be part of the human condition that people gravitate towards family, then tribes, then villages, then states, and so forth. Other than that, National Security and infrastructure are such big words, I could agree with you even though I favor bigger government. My belief is that big government works when it is transparent and fails when it is secret and protected (as is the case under Bush).
  17. Turd Furguson

Turd Furguson Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Thats a delusion you've labored under then as big government NEVER works, is ALWAYS inefficient and the one solution to every problem they have is to throw more money at it.
  18. Patters

Ratings:
    +262 / 10 / -11

No, Turd, your mistake is that you mistake openness for failure. Because parts of our government are open, it's very easy to see what it does wrong. Special interest groups, the media, and politicians all seize on any opportunity to expose a scandal or example of incompetence. It's good news.

Private business and individuals are not nearly as exposed as government, so people like you think they're cleaner. Yet, that's fairly illogical. The likelihood of a government employee being caught is far greater than the the likelihood of someone in private business. In addition, there's no reason to think that the humans who make up the government are any less representative of all of us than those who make up the private sphere.

If you compared government to private business, they both work about as well. Businesses are as likely to pollute, shortchange their employees, not pay their taxes, and go bankrupt as government is as likely to be overly bureaucratic, inefficient, etc. So, why is one so much worse than the other?

I suppose if you're obsessed about wasting money, I can see your point, but I think there are several issues more important than wasting money.
  19. Chevy

Chevy Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Less federal governemnt, with very specific powers, is far better than more. Let the state's run their affairs - they are better suited to it.
  20. Patters

Ratings:
    +262 / 10 / -11

The states get less scrutiny and thus are more easily corrupted. Look at Lousiana for proof! I think the key to government is openness and a free press. In this regard, I agree with groups like the ACLU.